Free Agent Frenzy

conundrumed

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The TDL trade was a waste of a player Sutter wouldn't play.

Neither was really top 6, but Mackey had some upside.

I don't even know what the point of signing Stecher would be this summer.

We are trying to trade a top pair D.

We should be looking for a player that makes Zadorov better.

Stone as a stand-in is fine, should we not graduate any kids.

If we were to sign Bear, we still need someone for the start of the season.

Stone starting there is worrisome.

I didn't mind the JT Compher signing but he's not much younger than Lindholm.

Not even a year.  Good term though.

Congrats on signing Fischer.  Cheap and a decent goal scorer in ARI.

If that's saying much.

The irony on Fischer is they didn't QO him cuz he was ARB eligible..he signed for the amount of his QO amount lol 

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it is too bad that we are having a hard time trading our guys so we could have picked up some of those contracts you're referring to, where I bolded your quote, to get draft capital at the deadline. 

Well you don't always get the bet deals on day 1.  Besides, what is the point in trading a usefull player with one year left so that you can sign a usefull player with one year left.  Sounds funny.  NAS cleared a bunch of salary and has buyout penalties to deal with and tuened around and signed more guys to long term deals.

TBH, I think we see a trade of Backlund now that the so called top players have signed.  If not, Backlund still represents draft capital at TDL.  I have zero belief that even if we are a playoff team by TDL that we don't trade Backlund.  So draft capiral.  If we aren't trading him, then he is re-signed before TDL.  Not that I want that.  But, really I see him going this summer.  He's the right type of player for a team full of kids.  If a roster player comes back, he has to be a pending RDA or be cheaper.  Or both.  A trade for a shutdown RD is my preference.

Hanifin is not the type to trade when the prices are low.  You need to find the right deal.  

Oh wow . Signs of life 🤗

My guess they were sitting on this waiting for Phillips answer ..went down pretty quick after we lost him to Washington 

Not flashy...but useful minute muncher

SCOUTING REPORT

Is not flashy but continues to be steady and capable of moving the puck, though he is never going to put up big offensive numbers in the NHL. He is the kind of player who often goes unnoticed because he does not make a lot of mistakes. Is not very physical in his own zone. Is capable of playing 20-plus minutes at the highest level but he tends to struggle with inconsistency.

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

SCOUTING REPORT

Is not flashy but continues to be steady and capable of moving the puck, though he is never going to put up big offensive numbers in the NHL. He is the kind of player who often goes unnoticed because he does not make a lot of mistakes. Is not very physical in his own zone. Is capable of playing 20-plus minutes at the highest level but he tends to struggle with inconsistency.

Meh, never thought he was much when he played in EDM, but that's not saying much.

So, we have 8D signed and 10F.

Barely enough cap to add Pelletier and Duehr.

Somebody has to go soon.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Meh, never thought he was much when he played in EDM, but that's not saying much.

Somebody has to go soon.

Oesterle is a top 6 for us. He's better than Stone and Stecher. Decent depth grab.

Detroit says hi. Nobody hates Oesterle as a bottom pairing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Oesterle is a top 6 for us. He's better than Stone and Stecher. Decent depth grab.

I agree ..maybe a 6/7..but teams need those simple , non flashy " you have one job" types ...  From what I've read he can play with some speed too 

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

There were definitely overpays ..  Killorn is good but not 5x5 good ... The max deals given out by NYI, ..nearly every player that left the Leafs . But again that's what it takes to play at the July 1 table.   $ and term is about 15-20% higher than it should be just to ante in..   but we didn't have that luxury , and nobody we needed badly enough even if we did 

Stecher definitely isn't a top 4, but I liked the way he joined the offense .  Savard spoke that we will have a lot of d joining the offense this year ..no D to D back and forth..  more pass it or carry it right up.. Stecher played that well .. 

He's not a shut down by any means ..but at under 2 for 2 years he'd be a solid 6/7 

Killorn is a bad example. He's 5 x 5. We have Mangiapane for $5.8. He's better than Mangiapane when we eliminate fancy stats people that make sketchy arguments.

Killorn's a proven, hardened top 6 winger on most rosters at $5 per. Can argue term, but he potted 27 last year. Solid at $6mil. NYI term deals are odd, maybe Lou's math sees something. Odd.

If Stecher is your 6-7 and you're only as good as your worst player, that's a big problem. He's a total pushover defensively in the NHL, or he wouldn't be bouncing around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Somebody has to go soon.

just remember, if it walks like a rebuild, and talks like a rebuild...

It's not a rebuild lol.   not until they announce it 😅

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

just remember, if it walks like a rebuild, and talks like a rebuild...

It's not a rebuild lol.   not until they announce it 😅

Rebuild, schmebuild.

I would conside the likes of Linden Vey and Eddie Lack more of a rebuild.

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

One has to consider how he fits in a shutdown role with Zaddy.

With Kylington, he's 7.

Without Hanifin he's 6.

I don't consider Gilbert much of a 8, but he does work hard.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

One has to consider how he fits in a shutdown role with Zaddy.

With Kylington, he's 7.

Without Hanifin he's 6.

I don't consider Gilbert much of a 8, but he does work hard.

Oesterle is a decent 6 league wide I think. Ironic that he's following Stetcher around as a better option.lol

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Oesterle is a decent 6 league wide I think. Ironic that he's following Stetcher around as a better option.lol

For context, I have

1) Weegar

2) Ras

3) Hanifin

4) Tanev

5) Kylington

6) Zadorov

I don't think you can really dispute who makes up the top 3, though rank open for debate.  Rank of bottom 3 up for debate as well.  If Oesterle is better than any of the bottom 3, I would be surprised.  

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For context, I have

1) Weegar

2) Ras

3) Hanifin

4) Tanev

5) Kylington

6) Zadorov

I don't think you can really dispute who makes up the top 3, though rank open for debate.  Rank of bottom 3 up for debate as well.  If Oesterle is better than any of the bottom 3, I would be surprised.  

Kylington is a giant ? so Oesterle doesn't hurt that at all. He can move around alright in the short term. I've seen people wanting Hagg. He's better than Hagg for my money. Oesterle provides decent stability. Hagg's a bit of an adventure. Oesterle is quietly a pretty good dman.

Toronto bites on Bertuzzi and gets him on a one year deal at 5.5M.  Good for BT to silence some of his critics.

Yamamoto signs for $1,5M in SEA, so he should bite EDM in the butt a few times.

Then don't really defend well on forechecking.

That was the best part of Yammer's game that I saw.

1yr $3mil Domi to Toronto. BT is up to:

Reeves - 3 x $1.35 (yikes)

Klingberg - 1 x $4.15 (why?)

Bertuzzi - 1 x $5.5 (understandable)

Domi - 1 x $3 (thanks, you take him, tired of hearing we should)

re-sign Kampf - 4 x $2.4 (okay, but why the term?)

Still has to re-sign Samsonov RFA w/ arb rights

$8mil over cap. Minus Muzzin, $2.5 over cap.

Glorified GM/PoHO Dubas' Murray trade sure looks like a "brightest mind in the league" move./s