Free Agent Frenzy

conundrumed

Just now, MP5029 said:

There are a few potential low cost with high return possibilities we could consider if they don’t get signed early on:

J.Gauthier

R.Hagg

J.Druin

N.Patrick

J.Puljujarvi

again, some of them would be worth a 1 year show me deal but I would not be inclined to feel pressure to sign any, just worth picking up if they are still hanging around later

Yeah, I would be interested in one year deals for Drouin and Pooly.

So, we are talking to Dumba?

Fine if we move Backlund I guess.

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Cross of Boston now most likely... Just nabbed shattenkirk..   my gut just keeps saying a Toronto deal keeps making most sense...

He won’t sign long term in Toronto. We will get the biggest return from a team that can sign him long term.

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Cross of Boston now most likely... Just nabbed shattenkirk..   my gut just keeps saying a Toronto deal keeps making most sense...

Teams are making odd choices.

If you are thinking big signings; Bertuzzi kinda fits the bill.  Have to move out a ton of salary to do it.  Backlund for Nothing, Lindholm for futures.  Probably Mangiapane.

If you are thinking TO trades Nylander, we have to send them Hanifin + Mangiapane or Dube.  Perhaps overpay.  Then we still need to get rid of Backlund.

I would prefer that we look at Bear.  Dumba is going to cost too much.  Would need to get rid of Tanev.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He won’t sign long term in Toronto. We will get the biggest return from a team that can sign him long term.

Ok.. but the return had best be a player of Nylander quality or better ..

I think Toronto might be an outlier ..right near .the states .. close to home .. and you're trading 2 players with no extensions .. you add in conditional picks etc . 

Most teams he'd accept are filling their spots or don't have room 

And FWIW... Toronto asked Nylander for his list today 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Ok.. but the return had best be a player of Nylander quality or better ..

I think Toronto might be an outlier ..right near .the states .. close to home .. and you're trading 2 players with no extensions .. you add in conditional picks etc . 

Most teams he'd accept are filling their spots or don't have room 

And FWIW... Toronto asked Nylander for his list today 

Dumb arse BT should have asked for his list weeks ago.

He can look at the league and make some choices now.

Kadri supposedly did that to block a trade.

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Take it for what it's worth (eklund) but keeps coming back to Dumba to cgy..  but tied to moving Hanifin to clear space 

As ell as Leafs having problems moving Nylander so they can sign Bert.

Good ole BT.  We know of how hard you work.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As ell as Leafs having problems moving Nylander so they can sign Bert.

Good ole BT.  We know of how hard you work.

So just give him to us for picks and prospects lol..  we can worry about clearing the space later . We can take on over $10m today 

It creates a disadvantage to move players cuz they know you have to , but I'd take that gamble 

Unless the idea is to flip Nylander for picks at the TDL I want no part of him. If Toronto doesn’t like the salary he’s looking for, do we really want to add Nylander to our roster with the salaries of Kadri and Hubie here? Yikes. 😬

Also, Hanifin is a hot commodity league wide. I’m not worried. He’s better than most second and all third pairing defensemen in the league and he’s young and on a cheap contract this year. Whether he moves now or at the TDL, we’ll get a good return. I’m hoping more for picks/prospects/young NHLers than an established player. 

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Unless the idea is to flip Nylander for picks at the TDL I want no part of him. If Toronto doesn’t like the salary he’s looking for, do we really want to add Nylander to our roster with the salaries of Kadri and Hubie here? Yikes. 😬

Also, Hanifin is a hot commodity league wide. I’m not worried. He’s better than most second and all third pairing defensemen in the league and he’s young and on a cheap contract this year. Whether he moves now or at the TDL, we’ll get a good return. I’m hoping more for picks/prospects/young NHLers than an established player. 

There's a difference.  Toronto can't afford to pay him . Not with Matthews and shortly after Marner coming up .   Something in the 9s I believe gets it done . And when the cap goes up in 2 years to almost 90m It will look like a steal..

Tbh I'd be very surprised if he signs more than 2 years 

8 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

The problem with TO is that they have Marner making 4M more than Nylander.  They want to re-sign Matthews but it's going to be big, regaardless of term.  They can't afford Willie Nee at $9M.  So it makes it tough.  I get the hate.  He was not much when the going got tough, but at least he scored in the playoffs, unless a few of our guys.

Bert might be a good fit if we can move Hanifin for mostly futures.  A younger F to go with the return.  Backlund should be going too.  Other than Bert, JT Compler might be a good fit.  Dumba is fine, but do we need another expensive D?