Calgary Flames draft 2023 (Look at Google sheet in link below)

V1nny83at5

I Ranked based on both potential availability and preferences (Shooting>Skating>Compete>Hockey Sense>Playmaking>Puck Skills); more information in the link down below:

1. Andrew Cristall

2. Tom Willander

3. Colby Barlow

4. Dmitri Simashev

5. David Reinbacher

6. Braden Yager

7. Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perreault

9. Quentin Musty

10. Nate Danielson, Mikhail Gulyayev

12. Samuel Honzek

13. Axel Sandin Pelikka

14. Eduard Sale

15. Matthew Wood

16. Gracyn Sawchyn

17. Daniil But

18. Ethan Gauthier (33)

19. Calum Ritchie

20. Riley Heidt, David Edstrom, Otto Stenberg, Jayden Perron, Gavin Brindley

Top 32 draft printout

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

6. Zach Benson

7. Ryan Leonard 

8. Oliver Moore

9. Dalibor Dvorsky

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka

11. David Reinbacher

12. Matthew Wood

13. Colby Barlow

14. Gabe Perreault

15. Dmitri Simashev

16. Eduard Sale

17. Braden Yager

18. Andrew Cristall

19. Tom Willander

20. Nate Danielson

21. Quentin Musty

22. Calum Ritchie

23. Otto Stenberg

24. Samuel Honzek

25. Gavin Brindley

26. Daniil But

27. Mikhail Gulyayev

28. Riley Heidt

29. David Edstrom

30. Gracyn Sawchyn

31. Bradley Nadeau

32. Kasper Halttunen

For more information about how I came up with this list you can access the link down below. You can also edit the Google sheet if you wish. Also look at both tabs in the Google sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NggbxiMxVwdMgglW6hpCyv5ufwajo9unarG3BTqKHHM/edit

• Like 1

Thanks Vinny, that's quite comprehensive. Can you explain the 2nd tab a bit in skills ratings, how the ratings were attained and how the adjusted rating works?

Does each rating carry more weight? Say, looking at Yager vs Musty. Musty carries a higher overall score but falls a little behind in adjusted rating.

Very well done though. I love that you've included Flo, I'm a big fan.

Comprehensive work. Everyone should be having a look at your 2 tabs.

I'm hardcore on Musty for the record. I can see high floor, high ceiling and the room for improvement and growth. I like Barlow also and my own opinion on why many are reticent is thinking he's already close to his ceiling. Cristall's skating is my biggest beef. It needs a lot of work in all aspects when time and space disappear and he doesn't have the size to be a very average skater/edgework.

I'm also a Wings fan, so there is also the 9 & 17 bullets in the chamber. Their prospect pool is already a lot to unload. At LD alone with Edvinsson and Johansson ready to make the NHL with Wallinder coming up and still more beyond him is mind-bending. I think they're ready to focus on fwd in this draft but wouldn't be shocked to see a top RD.

This draft is going to be fun, getting close!

44 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can you explain the 2nd tab a bit in skills ratings, how the ratings were attained and how the adjusted rating works?

Does each rating carry more weight?

I’ve cited Blue Chips Prospect (a YouTube prospect scouting report channel) as the source for the ratings. 

I’ll provide the link to the channel as well as the link to the specific videos that I got the ratings from. 

blue chips prospect uses 6 rating criteria for each prospect: skating, compete, hockey sense, shooting, playmaking, puck skills. He scores them on a scale of 1-10

When I did my adjusted ratings I emphasized what ratings I preferred over others. In my 2nd tab to the side of all the players ratings and rankings. I think [as a Flames fan] Calgary should emphasize skating and shooting over the other criteria; my adjusted rating is a sum of all the ratings divided by six, but:

1. shooting (rating not adjusted)

2. Skating (second preferred, so multiply by factor if 5/6)

3. Compete (third preferred, so multiply by factor of 4/6 or 2/3)

4. Hockey sense (fourth preferred, so multiply by factor if 3/6 or 1/2)

5. Playmaking (fifth preferred, so multiply by factor of 2/6 or 1/3)

6. Puck skills (least preferred so multiply by factor of 1/6)

Keep in mind, I have no access to analytics websites, so my reasoning could potentially lack logic.

I will allow people to make copies of the Google sheet, if they have a difference in what they preferred in terms of those six criteria. I hope this answers your question.  

link to blue chip prospects: https://youtube.com/@bluechipprospect

link to draft ranking videos (with ratings):  

32-25:  

24-15:  

14-1:  

• Like 1

I do love that he has my 2 biggest wants at our spot. Simashev at 15 and Musty at 16.lol

I think he's a bit low on Musty's skating. He's got very good straight line speed. From one of his interviews he mentions that he wants to work on his first 3 steps over the summer, so he definitely "gets" the areas he needs to improve. I'm not overly concerned about his compete level. The lack of quality teammates affects that imho. It's why USNTDP guys always rate high in that category, particularly when you're on a dominant line that you've been on for 2 consecutive years. Just my thoughts.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I do love that he has my 2 biggest wants at our spot. Simashev at 15 and Musty at 16.lol

I think he's a bit low on Musty's skating. He's got very good straight line speed. From one of his interviews he mentions that he wants to work on his first 3 steps over the summer, so he definitely "gets" the areas he needs to improve. I'm not overly concerned about his compete level. The lack of quality teammates affects that imho. It's why USNTDP guys always rate high in that category, particularly when you're on a dominant line that you've been on for 2 consecutive years. Just my thoughts.

Do you have Simashev above Reinbacher?   I'm interested.     p.s..   Glad you have a LWer as one of our top 2 needs, lol

21 hours ago, V1nny83at5 said:

I Ranked based on both potential availability and preferences (Shooting>Skating>Compete>Hockey Sense>Playmaking>Puck Skills); more information in the link down below:

1. Andrew Cristall

2. Tom Willander

3. Colby Barlow

4. Dmitri Simashev

5. David Reinbacher

6. Braden Yager

7. Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perreault

9. Quentin Musty

10. Nate Danielson, Mikhail Gulyayev

12. Samuel Honzek

13. Axel Sandin Pelikka

14. Eduard Sale

15. Matthew Wood

16. Gracyn Sawchyn

17. Daniil But

18. Ethan Gauthier (33)

19. Calum Ritchie

20. Riley Heidt, David Edstrom, Otto Stenberg, Jayden Perron, Gavin Brindley

Top 32 draft printout

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

6. Zach Benson

7. Ryan Leonard 

8. Oliver Moore

9. Dalibor Dvorsky

10. Axel Sandin Pellikka

11. David Reinbacher

12. Matthew Wood

13. Colby Barlow

14. Gabe Perreault

15. Dmitri Simashev

16. Eduard Sale

17. Braden Yager

18. Andrew Cristall

19. Tom Willander

20. Nate Danielson

21. Quentin Musty

22. Calum Ritchie

23. Otto Stenberg

24. Samuel Honzek

25. Gavin Brindley

26. Daniil But

27. Mikhail Gulyayev

28. Riley Heidt

29. David Edstrom

30. Gracyn Sawchyn

31. Bradley Nadeau

32. Kasper Halttunen

For more information about how I came up with this list you can access the link down below. You can also edit the Google sheet if you wish. Also look at both tabs in the Google sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NggbxiMxVwdMgglW6hpCyv5ufwajo9unarG3BTqKHHM/edit

I like the idea of the google docs.  Nice.   

I hesitated to edit it although I appreciate that you made it editable.      What I was tempted to do is order it by rank.

Would be cool if we agreed to have something like this where everybody could put their rankings in.

I mean you've already made it editable but again, I'm gun-shy.

Most of what people are putting in this threads (with their lists) will be archived/deleted by the time it can be fairly assessed, if we are still thinking that this forum is really about game day threads 5 years from now.

33 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Do you have Simashev above Reinbacher?   I'm interested.     p.s..   Glad you have a LWer as one of our top 2 needs, lol

A large skilled winger. Do we have any of those? I'd say no. Plus, we aren't drafting for this year's needs. That would be a massive mistake.  At our position, Simashev is likely available. Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka won't be, and Van looks like they have a chub on for Willander.

BPA AND highest ceiling for me will likely be Musty and Simashev if either's still there, and I don't give a crap about position. Most C's will wind up wingers regardless,

58 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I hesitated to edit it although I appreciate that you made it editable.      What I was tempted to do is order it by rank.

I've edited the document by creating more tabs for everyone else to put in their rankings as well as rank their own preferences. Please reply in this forum if you would be interested in creating your own rankings and I'll add more tabs as we go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A large skilled winger. Do we have any of those? I'd say no. Plus, we aren't drafting for this year's needs. That would be a massive mistake.  At our position, Simashev is likely available. Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka won't be, and Van looks like they have a chub on for Willander.

BPA AND highest ceiling for me will likely be Musty and Simashev if either's still there, and I don't give a crap about position. Most C's will wind up wingers regardless,

I'll rephrase.    Do you think Simashev will be available because he is from Russia?  Or because he is not as good as Reinbacher?

That's what I'm quite interested in.  You had me quite high on Reinbacher.   I will wait until the very last second to form my own opinion there lol.

.....  I think you are going to get a surprise at the draft.  You are viewing it through the eyes of a scout, scouts that will get over-ruled by GMs.

Big slow wingers with medium skill will go higher than you think.    GMs know they are low risk, and will translate faster to the NHL.  Job security.

Defenceman are a vintage wine business.    Not a lot of GMs are in the vintage wine business.   

I don't know who it will be, but I am expecting to see exactly One high to elite-skill defenceman available at 16, very likely someone you don't think will be available.

I am very interested, in detail, of what you think of the top D in this draft.  Even the ones you think will be gone.  Especially skill and skating wise.   They are the most likely to be overlooked and the most likely to be bpa in the 16 overall range.

Just now, V1nny83at5 said:

I've edited the document by creating more tabs for everyone else to put in their rankings as well as rank their own preferences. Please reply in this forum if you would be interested in creating your own rankings and I'll add more tabs as we go.

I would be.    I probably won't post until literally a day before the draft, but I would be down.

Do you guys think it is a smart move to grab a Russian right now unless he is already in North America I wouldn't risk the way things are going there I believe the war is going to get much worse. I do believe the wall is going back up.

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Do you guys think it is a smart move to grab a Russian right now unless he is already in North America I wouldn't risk the way things are going there I believe the war is going to get much worse. I do believe the wall is going back up.

I still think you've got better odds with Russia than you do with US College lol.    And I'm fine with the risks associated with both.

Not saying you're wrong about the war though.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Who are we kidding? We don't have anything of anything.  We need everything.

But if push comes to shove, we have LWs at the NHL level for are far as the eyes can see.  We can have LWs locked up for the next 8 years if we wanted to.  Can't say the same for C and RW... And even D starting to look thin.

We are in no luxury position to take a LW over other needs.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Who are we kidding? We don't have anything of anything.  We need everything.

But if push comes to shove, we have LWs at the NHL level for are far as the eyes can see.  We can have LWs locked up for the next 8 years if we wanted to.  Can't say the same for C and RW... And even D starting to look thin.

We are in no luxury position to take a LW over other needs.

yup.  didn't want to say it but yeah.

Also, in terms of positions that are likely to land in our lap, it is easier to acquire LWs than any other position.   in terms of signing undrafted players, signing UFAs, trades, contracts, basically anything, you name it.   We are more likely to acquire LWs than any other position and have historically done so.

If you're talking about true elite-level talent then position almost doesn't matter.  But I think this is more a guy who has an outside-chance of being a power forward, more likely  a 3rd line, maybe 2nd line LW.   Basically zero chance of us having a shortage there at any point in our past/present/future (unless he actually does achieve first-line power forward status).

29 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

yup.  didn't want to say it but yeah.

Also, in terms of positions that are likely to land in our lap, it is easier to acquire LWs than any other position.   in terms of signing undrafted players, signing UFAs, trades, contracts, basically anything, you name it.   We are more likely to acquire LWs than any other position and have historically done so.

If you're talking about true elite-level talent then position almost doesn't matter.  But I think this is more a guy who has an outside-chance of being a power forward, more likely  a 3rd line, maybe 2nd line LW.   Basically zero chance of us having a shortage there at any point in our past/present/future (unless he actually does achieve first-line power forward status).

Yes even then, we have a paid elite LW for next 8-years.

Build the foundation first.  G, RD, and RHS Centers.  After that, Wingers are luxury items.  LHS is the final pieces to get to fill out LW and LD.  Those players are always available.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Build the foundation first.  G, RD, and RHS Centers.  After that, Wingers are luxury items.  LHS is the final pieces to get to fill out LW and LD.  Those players are always available.

Ugh.  Now you are depressing me lol. 

Yeah pretty much.  Except they won't be elite when this player matures.   Contract wise,  yes the position is filled lol.

My only comment might be that you still need a LD and the top ones (the Giordano) are not always available like LWs are.   The other factor is the D take longer to mature.

Maybe something like:  G, RD, LD, RW, C, LW.  In a perfect rebuild. 

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Ugh.  Now you are depressing me lol. 

Yeah pretty much.  Except they won't be elite when this player matures.   Contract wise,  yes the position is filled lol.

My only comment might be that you still need a LD and the top ones (the Giordano) are not always available like LWs are.   The other factor is the D take longer to mature.

Maybe something like:  G, RD, LD, RW, C, LW.  In a perfect rebuild. 

Yes we need LD but just saying, those are easier to find than RD.  75% of the NHL is LHS.  It will always be easier to find than RHS.  When it comes to good solid RHS, you have to draft them or risk never having enough.  That's why, build a strong foundation around RD and RHS C.

Nate Danielson is the pick we need.  Not saying he's stud #1 but having a RHS Center in the mold of the next Backlund for 15 years is a no brainer.

Tom Wallinder is good too.  Should be a solid 2/3 guy for 10 years.

Next year, BPA will be LHS LW.  And the year after, LHS LW.  It will always be LHS LW.  If not always, then eventually soon.  Can't say the same about RHS.

I've just edited the Google doc to create a new REDUX list of preferred prospects now adding more factors to the list (height, weight, handedness).

More details would be found under the tab: Calgary Flames preferences REDUX

I awarded bonus points if prospect is right-handed, the taller the prospect the better, the lighter [weight] the prospect means more room to put more pounds on in the future.

The hierachy of criteria ratings preferences go as follows: Shooting>Skating>Compete>Hockey sense>Playmaking>Puck Skills>Handedness>Height>Weight

Here's the list to the REDUX preferences and availability rankings:

1. Tom Willander

2. Gabe Perreault

3. Andrew Cristall

4. David Reinbacher

5. Braden Yager

6. Matthew Wood

7. Ryan Leonard

8. Dmitri Simashev, Nate Danielson

10. Colby Barlow

11. Gracyn Sawchyn

12. Daniil But

13. Axel Sandin Pelikka

14. Quentin Musty, Calum Ritchie

16. Samuel Honzek

17. Eduard Sale

18. Ethan Gauthier

19. Mihail Gulyayev 

20. the rest due to no ratings available: Riley Heidt, David Edstrom, Gavin Brindley, Jayden Perron, Otto Stenberg

Here's the link to the Google doc again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NggbxiMxVwdMgglW6hpCyv5ufwajo9unarG3BTqKHHM/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

the mantra on these boards has been 3rd and 4th liners are easy to find. 

we do have Huberdeau and hopefully Pelletier as the 1LW and 2LW going forward. We could also move Ruzicka to the 2 or 3 LW spots if needed. That's not even including Mangiapane in the conversation.

I'm with Conundrum and think trading him is wise. 

im with you and think go C and D. Build there. If we can't sign Lindholm then we need to start looking at C because we know Kadri and Huberdeau don't mesh. Although, I'm open to trying Hubie with Zary and try prop Zary up with talent. 

The NHL sucks! Why have the draft on a day no one can watch it? They should have all of their big events on Saturday. Draft, Draft Lottery, TDL all on weekends. 

have it on the 24th instead if the Canadian long weekend doesn't work. Poor marketing for ratings...

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The NHL sucks! Why have the draft on a day no one can watch it? They should have all of their big events on Saturday. Draft, Draft Lottery, TDL all on weekends. 

have it on the 24th instead if the Canadian long weekend doesn't work. Poor marketing for ratings...

Well the argument can be made that not everyone can watch on a weekend, especially during the summer.  The hardcore will plan their lives around it, but even as a hardcore fan myself I struggle with all the weekend events since I had a family.  I don't think there is ever going to be a schedule to please everyone, but my own personal belief is that you reduce an audience by having it on a weekend during the summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't understand why the draft is so late this year.  Game 7 should've ended already.  The draft should've been scheduled for this week Thurs/Fri.