Head Coach

Ken Wells

I don't really mind at all. Will Love join as an assistant is the question. Kinda have to wait to see the rest of the staff I think.

Huska seems good at weeding out bad habits from individuals and keeping the 'attaboys' and 'wtf-was-that's balanced.

As cross said re PP coach, let's see how it balances out. Then what kind of identity will we partake in this year?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think either of Love or Huska was the best available out there but they were the most affordable and budget friendly.  Over time, Love got overhyped in my opinion.  I feel Huska is better if I had to choose.  Only problem is, Huska was in the room and couldn't get the likes of Huberdeau and Kadri to buy-in under Sutter.  Why would his voice matter now?

I think the true judge of this coaching hire lays on the reaction of Lindholm and Backlund.  If those two do a 180 and say they want to stay in Calgary long term, then this was a good hire.  Somehow, I get the feeling they wanted bigger changes than just firing Sutter and promoting the assistant.  We shall see.

If Lindholm gets traded, then we know how the rest of the room feels about this hire.

If I was going to start a rebuild, I would, first, retain Markstrom.

Secondly, I would retain Huska.

I'm not calling it a "self destruct" button, but, definitely ensuring high picks while pleasing the owners at the same time.

A little bit tin foil hat thinking but for now it's keeping me hopeful for Conroy.  we'll see.

I think this will go down as Cons fist big mistake Husk was already part of the coaching staff and this team failed measurably but Oh wait we did win the last game Why? Why couldn't we be a Oilers type team and since were not going to make the playoffs why not lose a bunch more this team needs some high picks and next yr we gave away our first or Florida's not sure how that went does mtl get the choice  or is it ours? I guess now we lose a few players I like including LOOOch and I know all of want to see him walk but I think he is still useful at a decent for 2 moire yrs.

I was hoping we would move forward with a hole new coaching staff away from what was in the system which Cons thinks is a great thing me not so much ok I will stop rambling .  

8 minutes ago, zima said:

I think this will go down as Cons fist big mistake Husk was already part of the coaching staff and this team failed measurably but Oh wait we did win the last game Why? Why couldn't we be a Oilers type team and since were not going to make the playoffs why not lose a bunch more this team needs some high picks and next yr we gave away our first or Florida's not sure how that went does mtl get the choice  or is it ours? I guess now we lose a few players I like including LOOOch and I know all of want to see him walk but I think he is still useful at a decent for 2 moire yrs.

I was hoping we would move forward with a hole new coaching staff away from what was in the system which Cons thinks is a great thing me not so much ok I will stop rambling .  

Not entirely sure what you expect a team to do.  Oilers lost a lot of games because they didn't have McLotto.  And the GM set them up to fail.  Play as hard as they could, they couldn't win enough.  

We had a team that was close to a playoff spot, even though we had below average goaltending for most of the year.  Only way we are losing 10 in a row to end a season is if you play garbage teams with less than your regular roster.  I'm not going to blames the coach or players for winning about 5 of 10.  That's why they play.  We played the players that Sutter would use in a playoff game, so we weren't sitting anyone like the old 4th line.Now, had we decided to use the backup or Wolf 10 games sooner, and played the guys looking fr a full time job next season, we might have had a different fate.  Playoffs or better draft pick.  Or exactly the same.  At least we might have seen more giddyup in games where we looked ready for the glue factory.

I think one thing to expect from Huska is you are going to see the defense join or lead the rush more, and have the defense push offense more than they have been.

I am on the fence with the hire, I do think he is a very good coach, but we will see if he is a good head coach. 

I think the talk of him being part of the coaching staff that failed last year so he can’t get through to the team this year, is a flawed argument. Sutter was the boss and he lead the team, he was also the one that really created a toxic environment for players and coaches a like. Blaming Huska for any of that is extremely flawed. 

I am hopeful with this hire, I was hoping for Love but Huska would have been my second choice. None of the re-tread coaches were good fits IMO.

Probably some disappointment from Mitch Love today.

Seravalli tweeted that he's going to explore his options. 

I'm not convinced that joining Huska's staff isn't the best move. 

He's outgrown the AHL level, either with the Wranglers or elsewhere. Would also point out, if he were to coach the Wranglers next year, the teams not gonna be as good. Wolf/Pelletier and Phillips were three of the best and more important players, likely won't be there. What does a lesser season at the AHL level do for his stock? Could make an argument that the success he had was due to having the best goalie in the league. Of course, the old "show me a good goalie, I'll show you a good coach" adage.

He's not getting an NHL head coaching job this year. Maybe there's an assistant job elsewhere. But if Huska wants him on the staff, I think it makes a lot of sense for him.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Probably some disappointment from Mitch Love today.

Seravalli tweeted that he's going to explore his options. 

I'm not convinced that joining Huska's staff isn't the best move. 

He's outgrown the AHL level, either with the Wranglers or elsewhere. Would also point out, if he were to coach the Wranglers next year, the teams not gonna be as good. Wolf/Pelletier and Phillips were three of the best and more important players, likely won't be there. What does a lesser season at the AHL level do for his stock? Could make an argument that the success he had was due to having the best goalie in the league. Of course, the old "show me a good goalie, I'll show you a good coach" adage.

He's not getting an NHL head coaching job this year. Maybe there's an assistant job elsewhere. But if Huska wants him on the staff, I think it makes a lot of sense for him.

Running out of head coach jobs being vailable.

I think the thing is whether he can operate under a head coach in the NHL.

If anything is certain, you pay your dues in the Flames org.

A/coach gets you the chance to take over at some point.

Gives you the NHL experience.

Sees what you can do with a team.

I'm not the biggest Huska fan, but he is the choice right now.

Can he be more than a defensive coach.

Can he work with the players like he says he's going to do.

Well after the presser I am more intrigued with Huska than before. He has done his research and seems to be a student of the game. Liked the fact is he doesn't come across as I am better than others but that others have made him better. He reminds me of the individual that just sits in the back quietly makes notes on what works and what doesn't and quietly creates his own book on what has worked and doesn't work and has somewhat of a blueprint in what he has seen via others and other teams. He articulates well, is direct and clear has a very good ability to make it understandable the first time. Will have to say I sway more to the side of this was the better hire over Love. I like Love as a coach and agree with Conroy that he will be an NHL coach one day. Also, agree a year or two as an assistant to get accumulated to the travel, big contract babies you have to deal with, refs, etc will be invaluable. For Love to even make it this far in the process is a huge compliment to his skill set. He should not take this as a negative but as a motivational advantage as he got noticed far faster than most. Learning some more grow and becoming better is far better than thinking I am going to get pissed off and leave cause I didn't get my way. A couple of years in the NHL as an assistant show the world what you can do we know how well he did as Wranglers HC. 

The hard and most important part for Huska right now is to align yourself with really good system coaches for offense, PP, and PK. That and the respect in the room from some of the players. Conroy made mentioned that he reached out to some key players for feedback on the hire. We will see what Lindholm does as he is number one to retain. 

9 hours ago, flames for life said:

I think that’s a bit of a shortsighted statement.  We can’t continue to proclaim proper asset management, decrying the smart play of trading for younger and higher draft picks; only to turn around and claim the trade is the fault of a bad coaching hire.

Lindholm may want to stay, but with his trade value, is that the best result?  Backlund may want to stay, but again the same question arises.

From all accounts, Huska’s area of responsibility in coaching the defensive side of the game was successful.  Our defence and penalty kills were very good.  Imo, that tells me the players were invested in what he was doing.

But that won’t stop Calgary from making trades or movements to improve the team, and not because the player isn’t happy with the coaching hire.  Conroe was also very direct in stating he wants players that want to play with the Flames.  If Lindholm wants to stay, great.  If he doesn’t, just as great.  It still is more related to team management as to whether he stays or not.

Ya no no, I personally want a rebuild.  I want to go all young and spend some time in the basement to accumulate franchise altering talents at the draft.  But the team wants to win now and make the playoffs.

And with that, the path to the playoffs lays with Lindholm.  He was unhappy with the direction of the team at the exit interviews which I truly believe had a huge impact on Sutter being fired.  I wonder if replacing him with the guy who was also in the room is going to be enough to change his heart.

If you think we can trade Lindholm and win a hockey trade, then okay.  I suppose.  It's hard though because the other team has to give up someone good.  It's much more likely to trade Lindholm for picks and prospects because a team acquiring Lindholm is surely in win now mode.

If you are saying trading Lindholm for picks and prospects is going to help us make the playoffs next season then I don't agree.  It only makes us better long term... Again, the team wants short term and immediate results (or so it appears).

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya no no, I personally want a rebuild.  I want to go all young and spend some time in the basement to accumulate franchise altering talents at the draft.  But the team wants to win now and make the playoffs.

And with that, the path to the playoffs lays with Lindholm.  He was unhappy with the direction of the team at the exit interviews which I truly believe had a huge impact on Sutter being fired.  I wonder if replacing him with the guy who was also in the room is going to be enough to change his heart.

If you think we can trade Lindholm and win a hockey trade, then okay.  I suppose.  It's hard though because the other team has to give up someone good.  It's much more likely to trade Lindholm for picks and prospects because a team acquiring Lindholm is surely in win now mode.

If you are saying trading Lindholm for picks and prospects is going to help us make the playoffs next season then I don't agree.  It only makes us better long term... Again, the team wants short term and immediate results (or so it appears).

The only trade that really works using Lindy is a trade for a younger C that hasn't hit his stride yet.  That's how we got Lindy in the first place.  IF we are trading him now, it's to a team that has a younger C and wants the experience or 2-way type of player.  So, if CAR is looking to trade Necas, then they are doing so to take advantage of his value or tired of not getting anywhere due to having less responsible C's.  Going for it.  Window closing.  

One of the toughest things with todays athletes is being demanding and pushing them, but in a way that also encourages them and instills confidence. I see with coaching my sons hockey teams, just being a parent in general and being a manager at my job. 

There is a tendency for people to quit or lose confidence when things get hard. So you have to be able to connect with your players and show them that you are trying to get them to be their best because they are capable of it.

I always remember Gulutzan (pause for eye rolls)…saying that he wanted to invest in the players emotional bank account so that when he needed to pull from that account to push them that there was something in the account to pull from.

Basically you can be demanding without being an Hash Rate about it, these are grown men they’re not going to tolerate that for very long.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Who does that leave?  The guy from CBJ and Greene?  Muller is currently an A/coach, so that wouldn't inlcude him.  Really, should the GM not allow the new coach to replace anyone he desires?  

I think Muller’s contract is up at the end of the month. Not sure if he sticks around or not.

I am not sure about the status of Cail MacLean.

I do wonder if Savard is interested to joining as an Assistant Coach to run the PP.

Do they go all young coaches Huska, Love, MacLean, Savard?

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Muller’s contract is up at the end of the month. Not sure if he sticks around or not.

I do wonder if Savard is interested to joining as an Assistant Coach to run the PP.

So, Tanguay has left the Remparts.  Along with Roy.

I might be interested in Love, Tanguay, Savard as the A/coaches.

Maybe too much excluding the goalie coach, which I think we need to upgrade.

Pehaps we would or should substitute one of the inexperienced ones with a longer running A.

Are we still interested in the CBJ coach as an A/coach?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, Tanguay has left the Remparts.  Along with Roy.

I might be interested in Love, Tanguay, Savard as the A/coaches.

Maybe too much excluding the goalie coach, which I think we need to upgrade.

Pehaps we would or should substitute one of the inexperienced ones with a longer running A.

Are we still interested in the CBJ coach as an A/coach?

That was Jacques Tanguay not Alex Tanguay who is an Assistant Coach in Detroit.

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think of the coaches who interviewed and could be assistants, Vincent makes the most sense. Experienced, especially as a head coach, and is known for his PP work. 

I don't think Savard is coming here as an assistant. I also don't' think Detroit is going to let Tanguay leave. 

Wonder if Huska calls up Dan Lambert. They coached together for years in Kelowna and Lambert just got let go from Nashville. Good track record of developing talent but is more of an PP coach.

Seems to be lots of choice for PP/offensive assistants but less on the D/PK side. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Tough situation.   I was basically sure Mitch Love would be our next head coach.

The fact that he's not was a huge tip-off to me that Conroy intends to rebuild.  Seems it was a tip-off to Mitch as well, or he wouldn't be shopping.

Will be difficult to keep him.   I won't fault Conroy if he loses Mitch.  But hoping he stays.

It could take a closed-door expectations meeting where "it's gonna be bad" is discussed, along with what the expectations are during the rebuild and what opportunities will exist coming out of it.

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Tough situation.   I was basically sure Mitch Love would be our next head coach.

The fact that he's not was a huge tip-off to me that Conroy intends to rebuild.  Seems it was a tip-off to Mitch as well, or he wouldn't be shopping.

Will be difficult to keep him.   I won't fault Conroy if he loses Mitch.  But hoping he stays.

It could take a closed-door expectations meeting where "it's gonna be bad" is discussed, along with what the expectations are during the rebuild and what opportunities will exist coming out of it.

I was one that was in Love's corner but from a reflective view looking at this, Conroy is right. Take a role as an assistant, and get acclimated to the lifestyle and league. Showcase your talents and if he is that effective in an organization, he will be moving up faster than one thinks.  Taking an assistance job in the NHL is not a horizontal movement, it is a vertical movement. Much like the players he coached in the A, give him a chance and show me what you got. Sometimes we elevate so fast that one can be overwhelmed, this was the sense that a new GM got from the interview process with Love, pretty sure the veteran GM's would have the same read. 

Being pissy about not getting the Head Coaches' job could come back to bite him as well. Sometimes it's how you react to adversity that sets up for success. The fact he was even considered is a HUGE compliment, be honored for the suggestion and look at this as a massive opportunity to get to the end goal. 

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I was one that was in Love's corner but from a reflective view looking at this, Conroy is right. Take a role as an assistant, and get acclimated to the lifestyle and league. Showcase your talents and if he is that effective in an organization, he will be moving up faster than one thinks.  Taking an assistance job in the NHL is not a horizontal movement, it is a vertical movement. Much like the players he coached in the A, give him a chance and show me what you got. Sometimes we elevate so fast that one can be overwhelmed, this was the sense that a new GM got from the interview process with Love, pretty sure the veteran GM's would have the same read. 

Being pissy about not getting the Head Coaches' job could come back to bite him as well. Sometimes it's how you react to adversity that sets up for success. The fact he was even considered is a HUGE compliment, be honored for the suggestion and look at this as a massive opportunity to get to the end goal. 

I dunno.

I mean...it's true, he's got lots of coach-of-year awards, but no championship.  So is he the #1 most sought after AHL coach?  hard to say.  He could be #2.  Maybe you're right here and maybe this would be a little different if they won the championship.

That said, I do believe this is more about the rebuild that we're "not having".    Secret's nearly out, Calgary's in the news for almost every trade rumour.       

Not a lot of coaches plan to start their NHL careers on a team entering a rebuild.   It's a pretty perilous thing to do in a pretty perilous career.   

So, two sides to this.  I think you have a good valid point.   On the other hand I don't blame him for looking elsewhere and I doubt it's personal.   Huska is not going to have an easy time.  Would be a miracle if he came out the other side of it.  Of course hoping he succeeds.