GDT Wings at Flames Feb 16/22 7:00pm Start

travel_dude

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames are getting dummied tonight. This is brutal. 

The Wings got healthy. They're playing some really good hockey. They just dummied Van back2back. I think they're officially a dangerous team. They've been playing great. Everyone's going for them.

Gotta get Hellberg moving. He's a mess holding his structure laterally.

I'm okay with a 7-6 game. Maybe it'll wake our scoring up.

Otherwise, they're making us look like Van.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Credit to Detroit. They are playing great but this is as lost a flames team as I’ve seen all season. Totally disjointed in all phases. 

very worrisome at this point in the season. 

I said it earlier in the year, and I think this game is showing evidence again. If you just can’t get a save in a tight game, it changes the dynamic of a game. Right off the bat Hubie was flying around and that line was taking chances. All

of a sudden a couple weak goals go in and the team is all of a sudden back on their heels. 

1 minute ago, pikey7883 said:

I said it earlier in the year, and I think this game is showing evidence again. If you just can’t get a save in a tight game, it changes the dynamic of a game. Right off the bat Hubie was flying around and that line was taking chances. All

of a sudden a couple weak goals go in and the team is all of a sudden back on their heels. 

goaltending is not to blame tonight. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Credit to Detroit. They are playing great but this is as lost a flames team as I’ve seen all season. Totally disjointed in all phases. 

very worrisome at this point in the season. 

Detroit plays fairly chaotic. So that's a problem trying to dictate play/implement system.

But mainly, the Flames take sooo many penalties and the Wings don't.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Can complain about Markstrom all you want but Vladar hasn’t claimed the net either. 
Why Sutter can’t give either a run or games. 

Picks the wrong guy too often.

Doesn't go with Vladar when he is rolling.

Goes to Markstrom and he doesn't do anything.

Then back to Vladar, so you know who gets the next one.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

This has been hinted at all year. Getting louder now. Walsh is not the only person questioning the moral

Ugg, pointing out the obvious.

Really, it's just stupid, not insanity.

The game plan is lost, the lines aren't working, the goalies look average.

Not that Vladar has been better but they ruined him by not playing him when he was hot.

Now he is losing whatever he had.

Let's go back to the goalie not hot and see ifthat does anything.

Any other team, this is fire the coach time.

The extension looks bad now, even if he got the team to new heights. 

Yeah, the players own it too, but they are playing the game told to.

Not well, but this is the system that the coach thinks will win.

We are on a razor thin edge to try to win games.

With a perfect goalie, that might work.

With no mistakes that works.

The PP is a mess but keep trying.

The PK used to be our forte, now it's a mess.

I don;t know if there is anything the GM can do.

We are locked in with the extra D we have and can't seem to use anyone new but Pelletier.

This is just so bad.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Do we strongly consider being sellers?

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Yup.

5 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Second that.

Any ideas what we could even consider selling from a team that is chronically underperforming.  

Backlund?

Tanev?

Hanifin?

Those probably have the most value of players I would even consider trading.

Players actually performing to their value or higher:

Dube, Lindholm, Ras, Pelletier, Ruzicka, Zadorov, Vladar, Toffoli

Players with no value in trade:

Lucic, Ritchie, Stone, Lewis, Mackey, Gilbert

Players that you can't trade due to contract:

Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Coleman, Markstrom, Mangiapane?

Not a big list of players to sell, and smaller list that are TDL type deals.  Players with more than this season remaining.  Lots of this and next year players.  If we aren't heading to the playoffs, we don't need Lucic, Lewis or Tanev.  But I really don't see trade material that gets us anything really from contenders.  None are gonna take Backlund or Mangiapane.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Any ideas what we could even consider selling from a team that is chronically underperforming.  

Backlund?

Tanev?

Hanifin?

Those probably have the most value of players I would even consider trading.

Players actually performing to their value or higher:

Dube, Lindholm, Ras, Pelletier, Ruzicka, Zadorov, Vladar, Toffoli

Players with no value in trade:

Lucic, Ritchie, Stone, Lewis, Mackey, Gilbert

Players that you can't trade due to contract:

Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Coleman, Markstrom, Mangiapane?

Not a big list of players to sell, and smaller list that are TDL type deals.  Players with more than this season remaining.  Lots of this and next year players.  If we aren't heading to the playoffs, we don't need Lucic, Lewis or Tanev.  But I really don't see trade material that gets us anything really from contenders.  None are gonna take Backlund or Mangiapane.

This is such a tough call.

I believe the Flames are a better team this year but I also see a structure disconnect in nearly every faucet of the on ice product. Sutter joined an explosive offensive system and slowly added a defense first mantra. Our two largest acquisitions are NOT suited to a Sutter style system as it has stifled our offensive advantage we once employed. You can see the frustration in Kadri, Huberdeau, and Mangiapane. I see going forward as:

Replace Sutter and add at TDL.

Keep Sutter and sell at TDL.

If we sell all the new shiny objects need to go. 

Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Coleman, Markstrom, Mangiapane Toffoli  It would have to be a fire sale and it is beyond my cerebral capacity to  orchestrate something of this magnitude.  Ownership would have to support TreLiving 100%.

Unfortunately nothing will change as ownership will let TreLiving take the fall and we will continue in mediocracy for years to come. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Flames don't have rentals to sell.  Lucic, Lewis isn't getting anything.  We might as well buy and go for it.

Many teams would prefer not to rent, outside of big $$$ stars.

It's hard to say which West team actually wants the 8th seed, all 3 are looking like garbage.

We had the 1st 10 minutes of the game to jump all over the Wings. They couldn't get going. But apparently that either wasn't the plan or we're just not capable.

Once they got moving, which in large part was due to the Flames taking penalties as per usual, Detroit's just a better team at creating scoring. Their PP and PK have turned into fire recently. Maybe the Flames should watch why their PP is effective, move the puck fast. Once the 2nd period got rolling, the Wings did too and Calgary looked pretty hapless.

SOG don't matter. They continually get 23-25/gm and 5 goals. The Flames constantly get 40 with a goal or 2.

Hellberg's a pretty weak backup, but it never seems to matter with the Flames. They just don't generate much quality and the goalie sees most shots quite easily.