GDT - FLAMES @ Blues - Thursday 12 January 2023

rocketdoctor

Good to see the knives put away, if only for a game, it was starting to look a little messy around here. Vladar made some big saves particularly in the first, kept us even or ahead which was a huge confidence builder. Big difference when you get the goaltending. 

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Good to see the knives put away, if only for a game, it was starting to look a little messy around here. Vladar made some big saves particularly in the first, kept us even or ahead which was a huge confidence builder. Big difference when you get the goaltending. 

I highlighted the one thing that made a huge difference in the results and comments.

In the 3 game roadie, Vladar played 100 minutes, letting in 2 goals, one at 5v5 and one in OT.

In his two starts, Markstrom gave up 3 goals in 11 shots and was in nets for a 3-1 lead turning into a 4-3 OTL.

You can argue that Flames didn't play until they were down 3-1 or stopped playing when up 3-1.

Regardless, we can't be giving up soft goals in tight games.

Vladar isn't getting enough games considering the results overall between the two goalies.

4 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Probably the biggest takeaway I agree. Vladar made the big saves that have been lacking from Markstrom this year. 

Does help that after a rough start the Flames really settled in. In the last 40 or so minutes it was probably their best game in a long while of defending the d zone. Great job of getting sticks/bodies and position around their net area and the blues really had nothing in the way of high quality chances. The literally scored on the only quality chance I think they got. 

Hopefully Flames can continue to build off of that last 40, and work on the first 20 but no question I think Vladar has earned a run of games here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I highlighted the one thing that made a huge difference in the results and comments.

In the 3 game roadie, Vladar played 100 minutes, letting in 2 goals, one at 5v5 and one in OT.

In his two starts, Markstrom gave up 3 goals in 11 shots and was in nets for a 3-1 lead turning into a 4-3 OTL.

You can argue that Flames didn't play until they were down 3-1 or stopped playing when up 3-1.

Regardless, we can't be giving up soft goals in tight games.

Vladar isn't getting enough games considering the results overall between the two goalies.

they mentioned he h

is 6-0-3 in his last 9 games. But we gotta have a starter...

1 hour ago, taz89 said:

Why can't Vladar become the starter?  oh right, because the other guy makes more money.

Vladar had a run last month where he got the majority of the starts and even when they played Columbus-Toronto back to back they gave the easier night to Markstrom and more difficult to Vladar, Vladar had a rough night against Toronto and Markstrom had his best night the next game and Markstrom gave a pretty good stretch leading into the holidays.  The main difference is the size of the leash, Markstrom can have a bad night and return the next where Vladar can't, you can chalk that up to experience and reputation.  I think its pretty common that a #1 has a longer leash Kipper was always given the net the next game after a rough one, I think we just got used to having the 1A 1B systems of Hiller-Ramo, Elliott-Johnson, Smith-Rittich, and Rittich-Talbot where a bad game by 1 led to the other starting next, the best goalies in the league get the chance to bounce back and Markstrom hasn't lost that privilege yet but I would say it is slipping a bit.  I don't know if its money related, Roman Turek made more money at a time where the team was constantly losing money and he got stapled to the bench pretty easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taz89 said:

Why can't Vladar become the starter?  oh right, because the other guy makes more money.

Well to be fair, the other guy is and was the starter.

Has played 50 games in seasons.

Saying that, it doesn't mean you have to run him 80% of the time.

You can run 50/50.  A plan is only good if it works.