GDT - Flames @ Jets - January 3 2023 - 6:00PM MT Start

Ryan Man

Well, the positive’s are the flames did not look scattered, as they had been even 10-15 games ago.  I saw more complete passing and some traffic in front( albeit not enough).  Hubie is starting to shoot, yay!  The lines seems to be connecting with each other better, and Markstrom is giving us pretty good tending.  Calgary was in the game throughout, and was 2 goalposts short of winning.

3 minutes ago, taz89 said:

How about saving the Morrissey goal...thats a timely great save that is needed.

I will give you that one.  Wasn't a sure thing goal.

All in all, it wasn't goaltending that cost us the game.

When you get a couple of PP and your only good chance hits the post, then you likely lose the game.

We are in that grove of barely able to score 3, so asking for perfect goaltending is a big ask.

Lines 2 and 4 gone cold.

Its pretty much a given that both our goaltenders will give up 2-3 goals or more per game for sure.  I don't expect any shutouts this season at all.  So if we can't score more than 2 goals per game on most nights, you do that math, are we making the playoffs or not? Odds are right now that unless we get a top 6 goal scorer who can make a difference especially on the PP we are looking at a short year this year and probably some management changes. Just my 2 cents on how i see things.  Most of you won't agree and that's fine, I'm all for being optimistic but it's very hard to be that way right now.  2 game winning streaks are not going to cut it.  Anyway, have a good night all..

17 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Its pretty much a given that both our goaltenders will give up 2-3 goals or more per game for sure.  I don't expect any shutouts this season at all.  So if we can't score more than 2 goals per game on most nights, you do that math, are we making the playoffs or not? Odds are right now that unless we get a top 6 goal scorer who can make a difference especially on the PP we are looking at a short year this year and probably some management changes. Just my 2 cents on how i see things.  Most of you won't agree and that's fine, I'm all for being optimistic but it's very hard to be that way right now.  2 game winning streaks are not going to cut it.  Anyway, have a good night all..

I don't think a top 6 scorer helps if there's no one to get him the puck. Although, maybe if someone can get to high danger areas,Anne you're right, they might score more. We aren't much different than the last few years because guys can't get to the front. 

but guys can't fight their way to the front and it's been the issues on this team for years.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think a top 6 scorer helps if there's no one to get him the puck. Although, maybe if someone can get to high danger areas,Anne you're right, they might score more. We aren't much different than the last few years because guys can't get to the front. 

Oh boy...if nobody we have now can get a top 6 scorer the puck we are doomed...pssst...Huberdeau to Kane = goal

locker room conversation:

Hey Hubbey....nobody here can shoot and score so you are going to have to do that...

Hubbey:  What?  WTF?....guys i had 85 assists last year, not goals.

Sutter:  God help us!  Marky! I need 20-25 shutouts from you this year!

Just trying to throw some humor here...lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but guys can't fight their way to the front and it's been the issues on this team for years.

Sutter went on a rant about getting to the net and not always getting shots from the point.

So, now we stopped shooting from the point and have people in front.

Not much point if there is nothing to screen, nothing to deflect.

2 goals scored on Mrkey were screened/tipped.

Most teams score like that.

We won't take the shot.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter went on a rant about getting to the net and not always getting shots from the point.

So, now we stopped shooting from the point and have people in front.

Not much point if there is nothing to screen, nothing to deflect.

2 goals scored on Mrkey were screened/tipped.

Most teams score like that.

We won't take the shot.

As long as Lucic is 2LW I don’t really care what Sutter says. He loves 1 goal games he’s got them.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

As long as Lucic is 2LW I don’t really care what Sutter says. He loves 1 goal games he’s got them.

The only thing Lucic can do is get in front of the goalie abd take his eyes away.

That's useless if you are not shooting from the point.

Watching him shuffling around in the O zone and any passes going his way are turnovers....

We lost two skilled players that could score.

We gained two players that could score.

We have turned into a low skill team that hopes for a one goal win.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing Lucic can do is get in front of the goalie abd take his eyes away.

That's useless if you are not shooting from the point.

Watching him shuffling around in the O zone and any passes going his way are turnovers....

We lost two skilled players that could score.

We gained two players that could score.

We have turned into a low skill team that hopes for a one goal win.

And when we get ahead he wants to practice defence. Craig MacTavish.

Critical about everything but himself.

Next up: "wanna count my cup rings". Probably. It gets old.

I used to enjoy it, now he's just a miserable old codger.

Call up your future and bench your cup winners from a different era.

He complained about pace, now he's the problem with pace.

Thanks for Z, go bale hay and take Lucic and Lewis with you.

Evolve with the game ffs.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

And when we get ahead he wants to practice defence. Craig MacTavish.

Critical about everything but himself.

Next up: "wanna count my cup rings". Probably. It gets old.

I used to enjoy it, now he's just a miserable old codger.

Call up your future and bench your cup winners from a different era.

He complained about pace, now he's the problem with pace.

Thanks for Z, go bale hay and take Lucic and Lewis with you.

Evolve with the game ffs.

TBH, I had issues with Lewis, but he is okay for a 4th line guy.  He competes.

A little useless with the puck some plays, but he's around it.

11 minutes?  Okay, we had a lot of PK time.

But the Lucic story got old the minute he played a second longer than 9 minutes.

Hubey played 14 minutes to Lucic's 12 to Kadri's 17.

If you force the best passer to the off wing to allow Lucic to be on the line, then you are Blockchained.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

TBH, I had issues with Lewis, but he is okay for a 4th line guy.  He competes.

A little useless with the puck some plays, but he's around it.

11 minutes?  Okay, we had a lot of PK time.

But the Lucic story got old the minute he played a second longer than 9 minutes.

Hubey played 14 minutes to Lucic's 12 to Kadri's 17.

If you force the best passer to the off wing to allow Lucic to be on the line, then you are Blockchained.

While I agree and he's good on the PK, what's the plan to replace him?

I've always liked Lewis but not when it looks like we'll just re-sign him every year when we need to get younger and faster like everyone else is doing.

I guess my point is, where tf are we going with this right now?

Looks stagnant to me, why not inject some youth and try other looks?

We're playing okay, lose 3-2, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3. Is this the way? Or change things up?

Feels like we're fitting a square into a circle. When that doesn't work, fit a circle into a square...never changing the ingredients.

Again, we're a table full of chilli ingredients, but no one wants to experiment that maybe the A has some chocolate, cilantro, spinach, lime to make it a stellar bowl of chilli.

Why try when you've got beef, onions, green peppers, kidney beans and Old El Paso?

Just like the package says.

• Haha 1