GDT - Predators @ FLAMES - Thurs 3 November 2022.

rocketdoctor

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We didn't have the jump in this game.

And I'm still hating Toffoli on the #1 PP.  Plays just die on his stick.  His vision is poor and he lacks creativity.  He has a hard shot but when it's going at 4-for-33, not to mention the shots missing wide and exiting the zone, why bother.  He's such a momentum and possession killer.

Toffoli is what he is, but at this point I think just looking at numbers and I'd say Lindholm is the weakest link.  

I really don't know what it is with Toffoli, tied for second on the team in scoring and is the 7th highest paid forward, I would say he is providing the best value on the team right now.  I wasn't huge on the acquisition in the first place, but he is providing what I expect from a 4.25 million dollar player, but I think he is getting unfairly lumped into Olli Jokinen territory because others expected him to become a different player.  

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Didn't catch the game was the D that bad? Was it all the D or just a few pairings, I know Sutter mentioned it that they need to man up and paly tougher. Not sure who mentioned it but the trend I see this season is a lot of poor decisions by the D not just one guy. Last year the transition out of the zone was quick and efficent. You can't tell me Gubranson is that missed or Kylington are the cogs to drive the engine. There are 2 mildly concerning issues is the lack of compete in this group, chemistry and prospects stepping up. How bad was Mackey in this one, see a few comments about him. Sad none of this younger guys have the drive to get to the next level

is it drive or is it the talent level? 
I wonder if we just don't have the depth in the A. I hope I'm wrong but the fact no one stood out in the preseason is slightly troubling for sure. 

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

is it drive or is it the talent level? 
I wonder if we just don't have the depth in the A. I hope I'm wrong but the fact no one stood out in the preseason is slightly troubling for sure. 

The depth in the AHL is arguable.

Really it comes down to NHL ready depth.

We have a lot of guys that could play in the NHL but Sutter is reluctant to give them 10 games.

Zary, Phillips, Pospisil, Zahorna, Meloche are a few examples.

Pelletier has taken a bit of a step back.

Whether they stood out or not is a function of what they played.

Very few got a good look with NHL players, so at times they were just trying things themselves.

Zary di the most of the bunch, but he's a new pro.

No good reason to bring him up yet.

As well, he's a C, so no real room for him.

We need to fix the problems we have with exits.

That has been our biggest problem, whether it's extended time or turnovers.

The roster is what it is and we really see a hole on one of the lines.

Can't have top 6 guys playing with a 4th liner.

Whether that's Lewis or Lucic.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I do not get why people rip on Toffoli so much. Been off to a great start so far and is on a pretty small list of players who have been pretty good, and consistent, since game 1. 

makes no sense to me. 

Agreed. Also, how many posts and crossbars has he hit in this young season? If he potted even half of those he’d be our leading goal scorer. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I do not get why people rip on Toffoli so much. Been off to a great start so far and is on a pretty small list of players who have been pretty good, and consistent, since game 1. 

makes no sense to me. 

If I had to guess, it was because he didn’t fit as well as we all thought last year. And the expectation for Hubie was so high, and if he is off it must be Toffoli’s fault. I do not agree with this, but I could see if that is where the vibe is coming from. My only issue with Toffoli is if he is your number 1 RW you are pretty thin on RW. 
But to your point he has not been the problem this year. Him and Lindy seem to have chemistry together and their games seem to fit each other, I think that I would like to see Dube get some time with them, off the rush if Dube and Toff crossed going through the neutral zone it sets all 3 up in a power position for a shot, but that is an x and o debate, not a personnel problem.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

makes no sense to me. 

Toffoli is or wan't the problem with the Huberdeau line.

Lindholm hasn't adjusted or Hibey hasn't.

Lindholm is playing more 2 way than offensive, so they seem to be one and done a lot.

Hiberdeau is playing more with a defensive player than he's used to.

Toffoli is the one bright spot.

I don't expect him to be a 40 goal guy, but he easily could.

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

If I had to guess, it was because he didn’t fit as well as we all thought last year. And the expectation for Hubie was so high, and if he is off it must be Toffoli’s fault. I do not agree with this, but I could see if that is where the vibe is coming from. My only issue with Toffoli is if he is your number 1 RW you are pretty thin on RW. 
But to your point he has not been the problem this year. Him and Lindy seem to have chemistry together and their games seem to fit each other, I think that I would like to see Dube get some time with them, off the rush if Dube and Toff crossed going through the neutral zone it sets all 3 up in a power position for a shot, but that is an x and o debate, not a personnel problem.

Or that he isn't playing with a true #1 C which was a good debate in the offseason but is kinda showing now that Lindholm isn't that.  There are a lot of wingers who I wouldn't classify as #1's who still find themselves there and perform well enough to help the team win ex. Hyman, Bunting, Verhaeghe, Rust, Killorn, all good players but not players I would consider in the upper class of their position.

41 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Or that he isn't playing with a true #1 C which was a good debate in the offseason but is kinda showing now that Lindholm isn't that.  There are a lot of wingers who I wouldn't classify as #1's who still find themselves there and perform well enough to help the team win ex. Hyman, Bunting, Verhaeghe, Rust, Killorn, all good players but not players I would consider in the upper class of their position.

Well, he was 80 ish points last year and had two wingers over 100.

What he isn't is a one way forward like a lot of team's #1.

It took some time for Lindy to replace Monahan as the #1 on this team.

Took some time to develop that 1st line that really scored a lot.

While I understand he isn't the prototypical #1, he is likely the best on the team.

There are very few Matthews/McD/MacKinnon's out there.

And really only MacKinnon plays well without the puck.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, he was 80 ish points last year and had two wingers over 100.

What he isn't is a one way forward like a lot of team's #1.

It took some time for Lindy to replace Monahan as the #1 on this team.

Took some time to develop that 1st line that really scored a lot.

While I understand he isn't the prototypical #1, he is likely the best on the team.

There are very few Matthews/McD/MacKinnon's out there.

And really only MacKinnon plays well without the puck.

or a prime Crosby or Malkin.