2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Avs beat reporter

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I mean they have to, I am sure the message from Tkachuk’s camp is show me what you are doing to stay competitive and I will sign, if not I am gone.

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

they really do

and I’m sure it’s more than the Tkachuk camp sending that message 

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A Kadri deal would be an overpay, but that's the cost of doing business.

It would give the Flames very solid centre depth though.

Lindholm

Kadri

Backlund

It's been a weakness for so long that it would be nice to see the middle of the ice become a strength

If the plan is to win-now then Kadri has to happen.

Kadri waited for our offer too I bet... if his agent is smart, then that's what they would've done.  Agreed this is the message Tkachuk needs to hear.  If we strike out in UFA, then I can see Tkachuk taking 1-year and then leaving next summer.

We will overpay.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I was hoping we would sign him.

See now that’s the thing…Strome makes a ton more sense as he’s a LW/C LS…can slot in in the 2nd line….

this Kadri foolishness makes absolutely no sense…first he’s a Ctr…season he’s gonna  cost over 7 mil and at least 6 season which would put him at 36/37 years old…that’s crazy $$$ and there is no way in hell he’s gonna be as good as he currently is (which yes he’s worth 7+ now

and for a few more more years) but he’s NOT a LW…this is where BT makes absolutely no sense…missing out on the Strome Brothers is a huge and I mean huge mistake..R.Strome at 5x5 is a heck of deal And he’s a RS C/RW, and both much younger than Kadri…so they both tick of those “flexible” player boxes and away more than  Kadri  who is a 2n line Ctr whom we have Monahan and Backlund for…none of this Kadri  stuff makes sense in any way whatsoever…

I think BT and his emotions have yet again screwed us on a really good opportunity to land some much younger, better fitting players all cause he was heart broken over loosing gaudreau…BT needs to go, he has no ability to be objective or decisive….he aught to have pulled a decision out of gaudeau about a week before TDL…and no answer is an answer…meaning he should have traded him…

anyway, I will Reserve final judgment on BT till training camp…but at this point his blunders have really put this team in a bad spot…having said that there are still some RFA and trade options for him to fix this mess…so I’ll give him till then…but he’s definitely on very thin ice in my books.

50 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A Kadri deal would be an overpay, but that's the cost of doing business.

It would give the Flames very solid centre depth though.

Lindholm

Kadri

Backlund

It's been a weakness for so long that it would be nice to see the middle of the ice become a strength

Ah ok forgetting $$$ for a moment but how  dose this fill out LW on line 2? 

What about Monahan?

this make absolutely no sense…regardless of how nice the Ctr looks, they need wingers to Which we are suddenly very low On both side with having converted Tachuck to RW…

so my challenge is…please fill out LW and RW now for lines 2 and 3 if you bring in Kadri…keeping in mind you are probably eating 8 mil to

to that and you still have to account for Monahan…

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Twitter spreading rumours the Flames offered Kadri $9.5 x 7.. Sounds believable... we are THAT desperate.  Let's be honest.

Lamo BT is becoming the biggest joke of the GM world

if there is any truth to that

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man that's a terrible package but you forgot about the whole "win-now" thing.

and if we are signing him long term,  then we arent trading him .

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/~2484557

Mike Johnson basically saying what we are all saying is that Treliving can’t let Tkachuk take a 1 year deal and walk. If he can’t get a long term deal soon, he has to trade Tkachuk and decide from there what the direction of the franchise is.

Personally Kyrou and Tarasenko is a terrible package. I want players in return that I can build around so it has to be picks and prospects or a younger star player. IMO Kyrou is a 2nd liner and Tarasenko is older and gone after next season. The package has to be better. 

Also he has no trade protection we can trade him anywhere. Now we will get a better return if a long term contract comes with him. 

I think a team like LA or the Rangers could probably give us a better package than St. Louis, and those are two teams I would look at if I am trading Tkachuk.

I think you missed the part about " just as an example"  :)   i was just grabbing names out of he air 

Now my biggest fear is that guys like Wolf, Pelletier, Coronato or Zary are about to be shipped out to bring in someone to try and replace Gaudreau.

I personally think we are a bubble team as it stands today, that’s with Tkachuk. I think we would need Markstrom to basically win the Vezina for us to be a playoff team.

Part of me is glad to hear that they don’t want to overspend on Kadri and at the same time if they don’t do something significant and just stand pat they are shooting themselves in the foot. Not good enough to be a contender and not bad enough to get a top pick.

If the Flames end up trading Tkachuk, it's going to be underwhelming. There's just such limited cap space out there.

The 10 teams with the most cap space are

ANA, ARI, BUF, CGY, NJ, WPG, OTT, DAL, NYI, CHI

I think NJ might still be the best fit. They have the cap space as well as the young pieces

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

yup.. its UFA.. guaranteed we will hate the number and the term.. but that's something to worry about later 

The number is one thing.  ou have to pay to get a C and you have to pay to get one that can score.  The term is the thing you use to bring the AAV down a little for an older player.  You build in the cost of the buyout, if it comes to that.  Not saying I like it, but I would put up with an extra year for $1M less AAV.  Neal was signed with that in mind.  Even though he turned into a toxic asset, it was still better structured than Lucic's.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The number is one thing.  ou have to pay to get a C and you have to pay to get one that can score.  The term is the thing you use to bring the AAV down a little for an older player.  You build in the cost of the buyout, if it comes to that.  Not saying I like it, but I would put up with an extra year for $1M less AAV.  Neal was signed with that in mind.  Even though he turned into a toxic asset, it was still better structured than Lucic's.  

Exactly.. and in 7 years that will likely be one of the lowest contracts if the flat cap gets lifted.. so long as they don't structure it like a Lucic 

The Leafs signed Jordie Ben and Victor Mete today, giving them 9 NHL defensemen. They have to sign Sandin to an extension. I wonder if Sandin is available. The other guy who could be available is Muzzin. He would be a good fit for Calgary.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Twitter spreading rumours the Flames offered Kadri $9.5 x 7.. Sounds believable... we are THAT desperate.  Let's be honest.

Just because a feed that retweets rumors says it's that, doesn't make it that.  The same source said that Gaudreau was offered 12M

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

The Leafs signed Jordie Ben and Victor Mete today, giving them 9 NHL defensemen. They have to sign Sandin to an extension. I wonder if Sandin is available. The other guy who could be available is Muzzin. He would be a good fit for Calgary.

I think they figure there was no way to keep Sandin.  Don't think they were too impressed with him in the playoffs as it is.  Really, Sandin doesn't help us, gives us 6 LHS D.  

So here is no idea…which may prove to be the plan A for Cgy this year and it may be a good move…

Manji/Lindholm/Tachuck 

Pelletier/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Russ(the new guy)/Lewis

so doing nothing is basically what I’m driving at, just lock up Manji/Tachuck and Kylington….develop from Within 

Reality is, Manji was only 5 goals less than Gaudreau on the second line with Backlund and Coleman most of the year…later he had Toffoil for a Wee bit but the bulk of what Manji did was mostly alone on the 2nd line…I can’t help but get a sense of him being every bit as productive as Gaudreau…or to Say another way, the 1st line is not the ?

the only real questions or gambles are:

1. 2nd line LW, if Pelletier is ready and he may be, it’s not an issue, if not then we have an issue.

2. healthy Monahan, if he is and can return to form, he’s as good as any Ctr, possibly 2nd best to only Malkin (sp?) in the NHL for 2nd line Ctrs…if healthy that is…

now having said that, what complicates the whole issue is Monahan also has a huge impact on the first issue with Pelletier, in that Monahan needs to be the Monahan of 2019 and earlier not the 2020-2022.

kind of a Huge gamble on a few major positions, but one that could actually work out extremely well.

It’s this or…BT leverages cap space and manages to exploit RFA’s and cap restrained teams for some a few trades like the ones that landed us Hanifin and Lindholm 

I wonder if Tre looks at trading for Dvorak. Mostly in an effort to bring in guys that Tkachuk knows and has played with to keep him around. 

I also think Tre has looked at Dvorak before, so it would make sense.

Montreal needs to clear some cap, and they have Suzuki and Dach down the middle now.

Let’s not forget that not only does Tre have to worry about what to do about Tkachuk, he also has Mangipane to worry about. The last negotiation with him was difficult and I could be wrong, but I believe that his agent is on the record as saying that his recommendation for Mangiapane is to accept his QO and go to free agency next year.

The deadline for players to accept their QO is July 22nd, so next Friday. So we should get some clarity by next week.

6 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

wish he would do something this nothing being done is the worst thing ever yes we have signed a few but nothing big id like to see something done to better this team with the loss of johhny you cant stay status quo

But you can't just trade for another Johnny either ..

Just because we don't see signings doesn't mean he's not busy .. we don't see the calls , the talks.. trade talk that comes up again later .. when he's doing his hardest work is when it's most quiet