2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I seriously think his option of signing for 1 year is no chance.  He has to go long term here or ask (quietly) for a trade.  One year without JH is like last year under Wardo.  But, that is the way we sit today.  If BT is able to land Kadri, we have options for top line.  If we sign Kadri + get a player like Laine (so argument sake), then he can shift to LW and we have two possible sniping lines.  And Tkachuk can tee up one timers for Laine and Lindy and get 70 assists. 

If there is no deal prior to arbitration, then we gotta trade him.  That's as bad as signing the QO.      

There's no reason for Tkachuk to seek arbitration because it's going to award a one year deal... Which he's already got on the table at $9-mil.  He can just take the one-year anytime.

Worst part is we need an answer from him but both parties are going to negotiate until first game of the season.  Maybe Tkachuk would intentionally use the contract negotiations to miss training camp on purpose because vets usually don't like training camp.

We need to target Kadri with a 7-year deal but he's gone any moment now.  So we can't wait on Tkachuk... Timing is awful.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh totally..  I just mean trading Chucky isn't necessarily the start of a rebuild .. like picks and prospects ..could actually make a hockey trade out of it and be just as competitive as we were with him .. 

Like if he gets us a #2 center for example ..maybe a good winger who can play until a prospect catches up..

I had used the example , just for illustration.. trade him in a deal for Kyrou and Tarasenko ..sure Tarasenko hasn't got lots of years left but he's got enough well still be good until one of those kids is ready 

But absolutely  forget the TDL..his value only drops over the season..he should not hit the Ice here at all  on a one year deal 

Trues.  Depends what's the return we get.  I would hope for picks and prospects because next summers draft looks franchise altering.  Getting Kyrou + Tarasenko would mean we are in win-now mode.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trues.  Depends what's the return we get.  I would hope for picks and prospects because next summers draft looks franchise altering.  Getting Kyrou + Tarasenko would mean we are in win-now mode.

now you're catching on :)     so long as Sutter is the coach and we have what we have , we are in win now mode 

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

There's no reason for Tkachuk to seek arbitration because it's going to award a one year deal... Which he's already got on the table at $9-mil.  He can just take the one-year anytime.

Worst part is we need an answer from him but both parties are going to negotiate until first game of the season.  Maybe Tkachuk would intentionally use the contract negotiations to miss training camp on purpose because vets usually don't like training camp.

We need to target Kadri with a 7-year deal but he's gone any moment now.  So we can't wait on Tkachuk... Timing is awful.

What I am saying is that Tkachuk won't sign for one year.  It doesn't help his value unless there is a top player coming here.  His stock falls with less than 90 points.  If he doesn't like the offers, he has no choice but to wait for arbitration, right?  Then he gets to UFA the exact same time, just wasn't his first choice.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

BT and Sutter only have 1 year left on their contracts... I mean, maybe the rebuild does start halfway into the season.

exactly .. 2 lame ducks arent here to break it down and hope to get the job of putting it back together .. Sutter i believe regardless when he does move aside will stay on an an advisor 

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trading Tkachuk for Kyrou and Tank is no different than just signing Kadri.

The best before date is even shoprter with Kadri.

I think the best we can do right now is sign Kadi and worry about the end of his contract later.  Then we align the team to the style of hockey we should be playing.  Get rid of slower moving players or smaller ones that get knocked over too easily.  We can always use Pelletier as a playmaker, just put enough shooters there to make it work.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I am saying is that Tkachuk won't sign for one year.  It doesn't help his value unless there is a top player coming here.  His stock falls with less than 90 points.  If he doesn't like the offers, he has no choice but to wait for arbitration, right?  Then he gets to UFA the exact same time, just wasn't his first choice.

only way i see it .. if he signs it here , hes telling us hes leaving ..  he has to know hes getting traded then , and he has no control over where he gets traded ..

You dont get to burn Brad twice .  got burned in Arb by Bouma,   nobody since has made it to arb.. theyre either not QO'd or settled before 

same with this .. he wont let a UFA make it to market ever again unless he really doesnt care if they resign 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Trading Tkachuk for Kyrou and Tank is no different than just signing Kadri.

The best before date is even shoprter with Kadri.

I think the best we can do right now is sign Kadi and worry about the end of his contract later.  Then we align the team to the style of hockey we should be playing.  Get rid of slower moving players or smaller ones that get knocked over too easily.  We can always use Pelletier as a playmaker, just put enough shooters there to make it work.

100% . i was just making the point that trading Tkachuk isnt immediately the start of a tear down 

https://www.tsn.ca/video/~2484557

Mike Johnson basically saying what we are all saying is that Treliving can’t let Tkachuk take a 1 year deal and walk. If he can’t get a long term deal soon, he has to trade Tkachuk and decide from there what the direction of the franchise is.

Personally Kyrou and Tarasenko is a terrible package. I want players in return that I can build around so it has to be picks and prospects or a younger star player. IMO Kyrou is a 2nd liner and Tarasenko is older and gone after next season. The package has to be better. 

Also he has no trade protection we can trade him anywhere. Now we will get a better return if a long term contract comes with him. 

I think a team like LA or the Rangers could probably give us a better package than St. Louis, and those are two teams I would look at if I am trading Tkachuk.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I mean they have to, I am sure the message from Tkachuk’s camp is show me what you are doing to stay competitive and I will sign, if not I am gone.

they really do

and I’m sure it’s more than the Tkachuk camp sending that message 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A Kadri deal would be an overpay, but that's the cost of doing business.

It would give the Flames very solid centre depth though.

Lindholm

Kadri

Backlund

It's been a weakness for so long that it would be nice to see the middle of the ice become a strength

yup.. its UFA.. guaranteed we will hate the number and the term.. but that's something to worry about later 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

yup.. its UFA.. guaranteed we will hate the number and the term.. but that's something to worry about later 

And to be honest, whether it's 6 or 7yrs. BT may be at the point where's more willing to do it, because it's unlikely he's the GM in 6yrs. Not advocating for him to lose his job, but not many GM's make it 15 or 16 seasons

53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/~2484557

Mike Johnson basically saying what we are all saying is that Treliving can’t let Tkachuk take a 1 year deal and walk. If he can’t get a long term deal soon, he has to trade Tkachuk and decide from there what the direction of the franchise is.

Personally Kyrou and Tarasenko is a terrible package. I want players in return that I can build around so it has to be picks and prospects or a younger star player. IMO Kyrou is a 2nd liner and Tarasenko is older and gone after next season. The package has to be better. 

Also he has no trade protection we can trade him anywhere. Now we will get a better return if a long term contract comes with him. 

I think a team like LA or the Rangers could probably give us a better package than St. Louis, and those are two teams I would look at if I am trading Tkachuk.

Ya man that's a terrible package but you forgot about the whole "win-now" thing.