2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

OUCH!!  well that backfired in his Face 

Not sure why he wanted to go out East. Now with that said he left here to sign with CLB, thats a bigger kick in the balls and for 9.7 Million, yes OUCH to the Flames organization. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

That was a really bad move on his part.

Gave up about 20M to play in Ohio.

I'm shocked considering it's rumored NJ and NYI offered similar numbers and those two places are closer to home than Columbus.  Unless home was anywhere in the USA.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well, Johnny's certainly got a shot at getting his number retired in Columbus. He's going to be one of their highest scorers in franchise history.

He's also going to be spending probably half of this contract on a rebuilding team...

i'm sure Laine is Happy 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

yep.. 16 M he just paid to live an 8 hour drive from his family ...  any respect i had for his decision is gone 

It almost sounds like the plan fell through and the only team left was CBJ.

Otherwise it makes little sense.

He wouldn't dare come back to the Flames considering the way he said it was family.

I don’t know. This is starting to sound to me like NJ and NYI either weren’t as interested as reported, or their “offers” came in less than what CBJ was offering. 

Oh Johnny. What have you done? The only other narrative is that “anywhere in the US” is home… and he unfortunately landed in one of those “anywheres” hahaha

Just now, travel_dude said:

It almost sounds like the plan fell through and the only team left was CBJ.

Otherwise it makes little sense.

He wouldn't dare come back to the Flames considering the way he said it was family.

If so Karma is a BTC

Should be pointed out Columbus is very close to where he lives so it appears true that family truly was the biggest motivator here. 

But I too am shocked, I thought this was Jersey for sure. I'm not really sure what he sees in Columbus and their roster. Center depth doesn't look great to me so passing up a chance to play with Hughes and Heischer is certainly a play. What a massive get for Columbus though who also have Sillinger and Kent Johnson to put into their lineup. Big skill upgrade there. 

Wonder how they make this work with Laine. They had 12 mill cap space left and got Gaudreau. That's a lot of clearing to do to try and get Laine back. 

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well, Johnny's certainly got a shot at getting his number retired in Columbus. He's going to be one of their highest scorers in franchise history.

He's also going to be spending probably half of this contract on a rebuilding team...

If he wasn’t playing for Columbus, he might’ve achieved the highest scorer in franchise history this year! Too bad tho…

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Should be pointed out Columbus is very close to where he lives so it appears true that family truly was the biggest motivator here. 

But I too am shocked, I thought this was Jersey for sure. I'm not really sure what he sees in Columbus and their roster. Center depth doesn't look great to me so passing up a chance to play with Hughes and Heischer is certainly a play. What a massive get for Columbus though who also have Sillinger and Kent Johnson to put into their lineup. Big skill upgrade there. 

Interesting side note is this probably makes Laine available. Columbus had 12 mill in cap space. Not suggesting the Flames target him just an interesting development. 

Closer .. yes ..but 500 miles is still an 8 hr drive 

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Probably not, this means he is getting traded because they don’t have room to sign him.

Don't worry, CBJ will do us a solid and trade Laine to us for future considerations.

And maybe Monahan to go with the set (Guddy and Johnny).