2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Barzal would be an awesome add.  It's possible they have soured relations after their last contract negotiations.  Barzal and NYI may part ways.  Barzal also had an off-year.  So, it's a buy-low opportunity.

But who?  Tkachuk for Barzal straight up?

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Barzal would be an awesome add.  It's possible they have soured relations after their last contract negotiations.  Barzal and NYI may part ways.  Barzal also had an off-year.  So, it's a buy-low opportunity.

Ya there were some whispers that Barzal wasn't happy. Lou doesn't believe in giving young players coming off ELC big long term deals and there were some suggestions that made Barzal unhappy. 

Possible that the same logic is now impacting Dobson. I'm not sure I'd be wanting to give Dobson a big long term deal, but perhaps he and the Islanders are at a stalemate. 

That being said I think what is far more likely is Islanders are trying to clear cap or add to their D. Only 12 mill in cap space, only 3 dmen under contract and they have a plethroa of good but not great forwards who all carry big deals. My guess is they are shopping the likes of Nelson, Pageau, Palmari, or Josh Bailey. 

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A few players come to mind.

Barzal because they can get him signed to an extension right now, but I don't see that being a huge concern.  Dobson is a RFA, but has no real leverage.  Bellows maybe.  The first two interest me, but at what cost.

Too many Dobson highlights last season where guys just skate right through him to the net and score.  He's not very assertive defensively.  Also RHS RD... He will not play above Andersson and Tanev on the depth chart.  On the PP yes.  Otherwise, he's 3rd pair for us.  But he's going to be expensive to sign because he put up 51-points.  Do we want to pay $5-mil bridge deal to play 3rd pair RD?

Or are we trading Andersson for Dobson?

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Barzal for Mangiapane + Kylington.

The money works.

Bigger trade Mange + Kyl + Monahan for Barzal + Dobson.  LOL.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Barzal for Mangiapane + Kylington.

The money works.

Bigger trade Mange + Kyl + Monahan for Barzal + Dobson.  LOL.

Ironically Mangiapane - Barzal would be such a good second line but the money part...

I feel Mangiapane doesn't get the conversation started for Barzal.  Would be great if it did though.  Barzal drives play... Which would make for a great fit with Toffoli who finishes.

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya there were some whispers that Barzal wasn't happy. Lou doesn't believe in giving young players coming off ELC big long term deals and there were some suggestions that made Barzal unhappy. 

Possible that the same logic is now impacting Dobson. I'm not sure I'd be wanting to give Dobson a big long term deal, but perhaps he and the Islanders are at a stalemate. 

That being said I think what is far more likely is Islanders are trying to clear cap or add to their D. Only 12 mill in cap space, only 3 dmen under contract and they have a plethroa of good but not great forwards who all carry big deals. My guess is they are shopping the likes of Nelson, Pageau, Palmari, or Josh Bailey. 

I'd find barzal hard to believe but I have heard more than once that NYI had interest in Monahan.. could be just about that 

Key phrase here of course is. " If that becomes not feasible then you pivot " .. and don't think he's not gonna know what those pivot points are ...

Remember ..this is the same GM who said this ..right before he traded him..lol

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Debrincat traded to Ottawa for 7th OA and 39th OA, plus a 3rd in 2024.

I guess you can see what value a good player is.

Looks to me like they're pure salary dumping.. they surely could have done better than that involving a player or prospect or 2..

Now that's a team rebuilding the wrong way... Dump the young players ..keep the over the hill vets..

Now they want a high first for Dach today too apparently 

Great player add for Ottawa at what could be a good price but how boy they better start winning him over and get him to an extension.

Thought Chicago would do better than this honestly. This does feel like a bit of a desperation move to save recover after the Seth Jones trade. 

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Great player add for Ottawa at what could be a good price but how boy they better start winning him over and get him to an extension.

Thought Chicago would do better than this honestly. This does feel like a bit of a desperation move to save recover after the Seth Jones trade. 

Is Dreger suggesting it's interesting that there was no tampering before the trade?  Should Chicago have given OTT permission to talk to Debrincat first?

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is Dreger suggesting it's interesting that there was no tampering before the trade?  Should Chicago have given OTT permission to talk to Debrincat first?

More saying they gave up a lot for what "could" be just one year 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

More saying they gave up a lot for what "could" be just one year 

Kek but the default position is teams are not allowed to discuss contract prior to a trade.  Why would it be interesting a contract extension was not discussed prior to a trade?  Seems tweeting for no reason.

Unless of course, he's confirming what most of us already know.  There are usually discussions between GM and agents prior to a trade.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Kek but the default position is teams are not allowed to discuss contract prior to a trade.  Why would it be interesting a contract extension was not discussed prior to a trade?  Seems tweeting for no reason.

Unless of course, he's confirming what most of us already know.  There are usually discussions between GM and agents prior to a trade.

Oh gotcha..   ya likely just amazement they didn't ask to speak to the player first 

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh gotcha..   ya likely just amazement they didn't ask to speak to the player first 

Ya like how Kevin Fiala dotted the I's and crossed the T's five minutes after getting traded to LA.  Surely agent the GMs were talking prior to a trade.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not a player I am a fan of but he's been linked to the Flames in the past and is a center who can provide some offence. 

I'm not a Strome fan either.  He skates as slow as Monahan post-injuries.  Is rather have Monahan if it wasn't the fact Strome could probably be had for $2-mil on a 1-year deal.  Monahan is getting paid 1st line money.

Nothing there screams he's not signing.

It's annoying to us fans, since we have no clarity.

The other thing is that it stalls any other trade action with BT.

Seems like he can only do one thing at a time.

I know that's not really the case.

He has to know what the final number is and what he's looking at for a roster.

Shoulda woulda coulda.