Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Tues 24 May 2022

rocketdoctor

2 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Gotta hand it to Backlund best playoff performance I have seen from him.  Toffoli on the other hand….bad

Backlund was fantastic actually.  Even that shift after the goal, it wasn't just him that stopped playing for some reason but his entire line.

Toffoli really kills our PP.  He is just a one trick pony who has very poor vision of the ice.  He really shouldn't be on the top unit.  When he has time, he rushes it.  When he doesn't have time, he hangs onto the puck too long.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I know Backlund wasn't on the ice for the Oilers goal but the shift before that, his line set the tone for taking the foot off the gas peddle and it continued to the next line... and then the Oilers scored.

Mostly just Backlund on that previouys shift.

I was yelling (insode) at the TV.

A good cycle and Mange/Coleman looking for loose pucks.

Barely touched the puck.

Avoided the hard areas.

I though, maybe he's hurt.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Better than that I felt.  We were the better team for about 35 minutes tonight and the Oilers 25.  For once we kept McDavid to the outside.  We even got a fluke goal.  And it still wasn't enough.  

they limited chances and did a better job on McDavid but their puck management throughly the neutral zone was sloppy and once In the o zone I don’t think they generated much quality. Their game was really lacking pace and urgency tonight. 

they seemed more comfortable playing a boring road game and not just trying to get in on the oilers and win with a forecheck 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Backlund was fantastic actually.  Even that shift after the goal, it wasn't just him that stopped playing for some reason but his entire line.

Toffoli really kills our PP.  He is just a one trick pony who has very poor vision of the ice.  He really shouldn't be on the top unit.  When he has time, he rushes it.  When he doesn't have time, he hangs onto the puck too long.  

Totally agree

2 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Even though Markstrom came back in a big way after the 1st period, i still dont think he deserves the next start, he just doesn't, period.  He cost us the series.

Marky didnt cost us anything the team cost us the series one person doesnt cost you a game the whole team costs you the game

Just now, cross16 said:

they limited chances and did a better job on McDavid but their puck management throughly the neutral zone was sloppy and once In the o zone I don’t think they generated much quality. Their game was really lacking pace and urgency tonight. 

they seemed more comfortable playing a boring road game and not just trying to get in on the oilers and win with a forecheck 

There were moments where we did play well but ya, not consistently well enough all game.  But that 1st goal against... it put us behind and we were chasing all game.  It was the worst feeling... and maybe the guys did tire out by the final 5 minutes of the game as a result of that.

I don’t think the Oil have been that good, Flames have been really bad.  I’m amazed when they played so well vs Dallas and had so much confidence after game one. What on earth happened??   Drinking water at the hotel?, Lack of Oxygen- really weird .  

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

i agree on Toffoli. He looks odd. Has looked odd since the excitement of coming here has died down.

Just now, The_People1 said:

There were moments where we did play well but ya, not consistently well enough all game.  But that 1st goal against... it put us behind and we were chasing all game.  It was the worst feeling... and maybe the guys did tire out by the final 5 minutes of the game as a result of that.

very very challenging to win that way no question. Same time though they got a gift given right back to them. 

I don’t really think they stopped skating. That’s the level of urgency they had most of the night save for a few moments here and there. 

Just win in Calgary and get some confidence back.

Two tie games where some poor play costs the GWG.

Even if we just tied, we had all the momentum and a goalie who lost his mojo.

No killer instinct.

But worse than that, no 20 minute compete when we had momentum.

It ain't over, just need another first period like in game 1.

4 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Horrible start, walking on eggshells, no confidence, no authority, watching pucks instead of playing the hard smart system.  Gotta hand it to Tanev, we are better even when he plays with one arm.

Tanev was amazing tonight.  He's clearly not ready to come back but he stabilized Kylington who played a much more confident game.  He gets paired with Stone and instantly gives up the GWG.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Is this the same team or is this a different team? I can’t tell the difference right now!? 

Same team!..minus Tanev! j The Oilers have 100% exposed the Flames, I’ll give Woodcroft credit , he’s very clearly and finally has the Coilers playing a detailed game at both ends. They’ve exploited Flames too often and have capitalized on those opportunities. Markstrom has been very bad but he’s playing behind a team getting outplayed and quite frankly out coached at this point. 

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

Marky didnt cost us anything the team cost us the series one person doesnt cost you a game the whole team costs you the game

The result of this game is basically the series, case closed.  First goal, 3rd goal by Kane, simply cannot allow that to happen.  He stops those, this series would be tied at 2.  Forget the ton of goals he allowed in previous games.  Blah blah the team didnt play well in front of him but the truth is, he needs to make those game winning saves and he's not. Yes he cost us the series.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Tanev was amazing tonight.  He's clearly not ready to come back but he stabilized Kylington who played a much more confident game.  He gets paired with Stone and instantly gives up the GWG.

I have been so impressed with the team and Sutter but man I find myself questioning his decisions and coaching tonight, can’t believe I’m feeling that way. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Mike Stone played 5 mins and he ends up out there on the GWG. Real downside of running 7 D

Keps you from running the 4th line too long.

Oops, that didn't help.

They played 10 and 12 minutes.

Unfortunately, they have been on for far too many goals against.

Stone with Klington caused a bit of a mixup perhaps.

Kylington played better when with Tanev.

He lost the battle with Nige of all people.

1 minute ago, taz89 said:

The result of this game is basically the series, case closed.  First goal, 3rd goal by Kane, simply cannot allow that to happen.  He stops those, this series would be tied at 2.  Forget the ton of goals he allowed in previous games.  Blah blah the team didnt play well in front of him but the truth is, he needs to make those game winning saves and he's not. Yes he cost us the series.

no the first goal is the first goal he made one mistake that games other players alot more then one mistake that game one mistake doesnt lose you the game cause we had it tied the team didnt play the way they needed to to the win the game period