Playoffs GDT Stars @ Flames - Game 2 - Thursday 5 May 2022

rocketdoctor

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think Cross was right. A Toffoli type player was the wrong acquisition. He sticks out like a sore thumb. M

there  arent enough set up guys. 

maybecwe see Ruzicka next game?

Nothing wrong with the player, just isn't deployed right.

It's been evident for a month at least.

I blame this on Snowbear.

Just now, The_People1 said:

The Mangiapane - Backlund - Toffoli line just doesn't work.  You've got two shooters and Backlund has no vision.

Yes, been saying that for ages.

Considering that the middle six is as cold as ice, time to mix it up.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think Cross was right. A Toffoli type player was the wrong acquisition. He sticks out like a sore thumb. 

I will disagree until the cows come home. But. I NEVER anticipated Sutter would pair him with Backlund. As far as I’m concerned, Toff is getting the Bennett treatment forcing him to play with a player that doesn’t compliment him at all. Switch Toff and Coleman and you have snipers on 3 lines, and Toff gets to play with some speed and some passing ability. God damnit I’m irritated right now. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, been saying that for ages.

Considering that the middle six is as cold as ice, time to mix it up.

yup! You and peeps need to come up with a new normal. 

i think you put Coleman back with Backs and if they never get scored on then that’s like a plus. 

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I will disagree until the cows come home. But. I NEVER anticipated Sutter would pair him with Backlund. As far as I’m concerned, Toff is getting the Bennett treatment forcing him to play with a player that doesn’t compliment him at all. Switch Toff and Coleman and you have snipers on 3 lines, and Toff gets to play with some speed and some passing ability. God damnit I’m irritated right now. 

You me both.

Backlund should never be mentioned in the same breath as offense.

Ruined the mojo of two players.

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

sorry to ruffle your feathers. 

i just mean that there isn’t much more creativity in the lineup. We have good depth, but lack other playmakers. 

but I agree, Toffoli isn’t on the right line, and like peeps and others have said, he seems to be making it harder on himself. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wasn't going to mention this in game, but we haven't won a game 2 since 2004.

One thing I remember about 2004 was the pattern of the flames play. It was often we’d win one then lose one immediately after. It’s the cherry on top for me right now. I’m seething. Including game 1 (2nd period on), WE ARE THE MOST BORING PLAYOFF SERIES OF 2022 TO WATCH, hands down. No other series comes close. That’s a real truth bomb, and I hope Sutter can figure out a way to get this team to figure it out quick. 

We’re not going to win 16 games straight. But lose gracefully - go down swinging. Go down trying. David Amber had to ask the panel if everyone is awake FFS. Enjoy the night off Flames. Preparation for playing in enemy territory for the next 2 games starts now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We didn't come out hard like we did in Game 1.  I understand it's difficult to match Game 1's intensity but I felt the whole team played it too casual.  

i thought we did, but it looked like they were more interested in hitting than making plays. And then eventually no one could make a pass. I didn’t feel like it was like the past two playoffs where the team had no motivation, they tried these two games, but they just didn’t execute at a level needed to win. And that’ll have to change to win the series. 

Too bad we couldn’t capitalize on the 4-on-4’s. We played them pretty good then. Had our best chances. 

i just wanna see us hit nets on odd man rushes. They might show as high danger chances, but the flames make it a non danger chance when they miss nets as much as they do. And too often the puck gets going the other way. 

i think if we can hit the net more on those chances, or find ways to create more movement on odd man rushes, that would help our chances.

didn’t we miss the net 2 or 3 times on them, and others take ourselves out completely?

13 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

One thing I remember about 2004 was the pattern of the flames play. It was often we’d win one then lose one immediately after. It’s the cherry on top for me right now. I’m seething. Including game 1 (2nd period on), WE ARE THE MOST BORING PLAYOFF SERIES OF 2022 TO WATCH, hands down. No other series comes close. That’s a real truth bomb, and I hope Sutter can figure out a way to get this team to figure it out quick. 

We’re not going to win 16 games straight. But lose gracefully - go down swinging. Go down trying. David Amber had to ask the panel if everyone is awake FFS. Enjoy the night off Flames. Preparation for playing in enemy territory for the next 2 games starts now. 

Yeah, but you can't really be surprised though, can you? I never liked the Dallas matchup for the Flames because on top of the fact that it's not inconceivable that Dallas could win this thing - it's going to be very frustrating, and very boring to watch. It reminds me of those old Minnesota games when we'd see them 8 times per year from around '06 to '09. 

The other thing is, it's a mistake to think that Sutter cares about finding a way to make this entertaining... 

You're right, though, this game was a tough one. Seeing guys miss the net on a two-on-one, and this feeling that no one outside of the top line will score a goal all series is really unsettling. We need some timely goals from some unexpected players... sort of like that time that Oleg Saprykin ended Game 5 in Tampa. 

Love. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I love being the most boring.  Just win though.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i thought we did, but it looked like they were more interested in hitting than making plays. And then eventually no one could make a pass. I didn’t feel like it was like the past two playoffs where the team had no motivation, they tried these two games, but they just didn’t execute at a level needed to win. And that’ll have to change to win the series. 

We started much better in Game 1 though.  And ya, lots of broken plays this game which points to mentally not prepared and not hungry enough.  Even simple short passes jump over sticks and turn over.