NHL Playoffs - Hockey Pool for fun

rocketdoctor

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Congrats to Conumdrumed, huge win.  Thanks to the regular season MVP RD for putting together game day threads and giving us this thread to weigh in on. 

Thanks dare baie. I'd like to say that it's because of my incredible skills, but that's a lie.

It's 2 things:

Pure luck, & Karma for being on an island of faith in the Flames this year to win the Pacific and be a good team.

No team comes out of nowhere and wins a cup in this era. Have to endure the heartaches first.

We're a good team and there's likely still some heartache, but we're going in the right direction.

The future's bright, now build a frigging new arena. JFC Calgary, harass TCPL, they could build it from a financial callous on their pinky. How is corporate sponsorship so low-key with so much to choose from? Makes no sense.

If Ottawa gets one first, that would be a very sad day. Have some pride and cut the grandstanding.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thanks dare baie. I'd like to say that it's because of my incredible skills, but that's a lie.

It's 2 things:

Pure luck, & Karma for being on an island of faith in the Flames this year to win the Pacific and be a good team.

No team comes out of nowhere and wins a cup in this era. Have to endure the heartaches first.

We're a good team and there's likely still some heartache, but we're going in the right direction.

The future's bright, now build a frigging new arena. JFC Calgary, harass TCPL, they could build it from a financial callous on their pinky. How is corporate sponsorship so low-key with so much to choose from? Makes no sense.

If Ottawa gets one first, that would be a very sad day. Have some pride and cut the grandstanding.

My bet is that there'd be a ton of tax breaks that come out of such things as well. One thing that can stimulate economics is construction. When they have people working and infusing money into the community, it can become a form of reciprocity. The government, the business in the community all see that come back in purchase and tax. Maybe it's not as much as I am guessing. 

I know when the States had their low economic downturn, one thing I remember reading that Obama did was create infrastructure jobs, like roadway and construction jobs to help stimulate the economy. It's memory, so I don't remember the exact details, but I don't know if a lot of people think about how the money can be re-circulated back into the community or even back into corporate pockets. 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

My bet is that there'd be a ton of tax breaks that come out of such things as well. One thing that can stimulate economics is construction. When they have people working and infusing money into the community, it can become a form of reciprocity. The government, the business in the community all see that come back in purchase and tax. Maybe it's not as much as I am guessing. 

I know when the States had their low economic downturn, one thing I remember reading that Obama did was create infrastructure jobs, like roadway and construction jobs to help stimulate the economy. It's memory, so I don't remember the exact details, but I don't know if a lot of people think about how the money can be re-circulated back into the community or even back into corporate pockets. 

Quoted for truth. I've been a road warrior. I've reclined back to my roots, which is oddly both a refinery and beach town. It is shutdown/project season here, and this is EXACTLY how it works. Without question.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Quoted for truth. I've been a road warrior. I've reclined back to my roots, which is oddly both a refinery and beach town. It is shutdown/project season here, and this is EXACTLY how it works. Without question.

Oddly enough, I am from a beach refinery town as well.

There used to be two, one was sold to China and shipped out by boat.

Ultramar, who bought it from Irving.

Yep dismantled and shipped.

The other one was great for the smell wafting from it.

As a kid, we had the Shearwater International Airshow, which was close by.

Was a treat to see it, even if you didn't get to go to the base.

Fun to see all the US jets up close.

Or watch the planes zipping across the sky.

They stopped it probably close to 20 years ago, and moved it from CFB to Halifax airport.

It didn't last there.

Go Mooseheads.

Crappy beer, but great team.

Keith's was my fave.

Keets as they used to call it.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:13 PM, travel_dude said:

Oddly enough, I am from a beach refinery town as well.

There used to be two, one was sold to China and shipped out by boat.

Ultramar, who bought it from Irving.

Yep dismantled and shipped.

The other one was great for the smell wafting from it.

As a kid, we had the Shearwater International Airshow, which was close by.

Was a treat to see it, even if you didn't get to go to the base.

Fun to see all the US jets up close.

Or watch the planes zipping across the sky.

They stopped it probably close to 20 years ago, and moved it from CFB to Halifax airport.

It didn't last there.

Go Mooseheads.

Crappy beer, but great team.

Keith's was my fave.

Keets as they used to call it.

Hey, dems fightin words.  Sure its not top shelf but its better than the majority of the big brands.

Sleemans Honey Brown is my choice, Moose is my fail safe.

31 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Hey, dems fightin words.  Sure its not top shelf but its better than the majority of the big brands.

What kind of person actually likes Sleeman's?lol

It's as bad as Rickard's.

A friend of mine in Calgary, we'll call him Brad, lol, owned and operated "Brew Brothers". They took over the old Fox & Firkin (for Foxsakes buy me a Firkin pint) on Electric Ave. He sold awhile back but his beers made it to stores prior.

If and if the buyer retained Prairie Steam recipe, it was epic. Growler in 2nd place.

If that Satoshi Nakamoto is still around, damn. Brad used to clean up awards regularly at the microbrew festival at McMahon when I lived there.

We used to jam together, "3 Newfies & a Guy From Sarnia". lol

Always a keg of Prairie Steam at the ready.

Away from that, now I'm Stella & stout beers. Danish beer is particularly REALLY good. "Elephant Lager", to this day, is the only 8.5% beer that tastes like a 5%. The Danes know their Satoshi Nakamoto.

59 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Moose-piss.  Sorry, it was what a lot of us referred to the beer as.

Moosehead was about 50% of the draft available at pubs there.

The other half was Oland's (Keith's or O-export).

Keith's is an IPA. Moose being a lager.  Then there is Oland Schooner lager.

I worked at Moosehead brewery as a young lad.

They had a keg tapped for breaks and lunch.

Not a great idea when you consider forklift drivers and machinery.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What kind of person actually likes Sleeman's?lol

It's as bad as Rickard's.

A friend of mine in Calgary, we'll call him Brad, lol, owned and operated "Brew Brothers". They took over the old Fox & Firkin (for Foxsakes buy me a Firkin pint) on Electric Ave. He sold awhile back but his beers made it to stores prior.

If and if the buyer retained Prairie Steam recipe, it was epic. Growler in 2nd place.

If that Satoshi Nakamoto is still around, damn. Brad used to clean up awards regularly at the microbrew festival at McMahon when I lived there.

We used to jam together, "3 Newfies & a Guy From Sarnia". lol

Always a keg of Prairie Steam at the ready.

Away from that, now I'm Stella & stout beers. Danish beer is particularly REALLY good. "Elephant Lager", to this day, is the only 8.5% beer that tastes like a 5%. The Danes know their Satoshi Nakamoto.

The same kind that is tired of every small batch brewery thinking that more hops = better beer.  I like Keiths but the IPA fad went overboard. I'm more of a middle of the road lager/pilsner guy, give me something with more flavor than horse p**s Budweiser but lets not go crazy with all these infused beers.

If I'm going upscale its either Innis and Gunn or a Nukie.  If its for a weekend at the lake then Sleemans (only the honey brown) or Moosie.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Moose-piss.  Sorry, it was what a lot of us referred to the beer as.

Moosehead was about 50% of the draft available at pubs there.

The other half was Oland's (Keith's or O-export).

Keith's is an IPA. Moose being a lager.  Then there is Oland Schooner lager.

I worked at Moosehead brewery as a young lad.

They had a keg tapped for breaks and lunch.

Not a great idea when you consider forklift drivers and machinery.

I'll have to give that a try when I'm out there.

29 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

In all fairness, these days it couldnt be any worse or better than anywhere else in the country.

Nanny state rules, crazy high cost for food, electricity, water....

I just look at equivalent costs for goods and services in Alberta.

Ok to visit.

Make the best donairs in the country.

16 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The same kind that is tired of every small batch brewery thinking that more hops = better beer.  I like Keiths but the IPA fad went overboard. I'm more of a middle of the road lager/pilsner guy, give me something with more flavor than horse p**s Budweiser but lets not go crazy with all these infused beers.

If I'm going upscale its either Innis and Gunn or a Nukie.  If its for a weekend at the lake then Sleemans (only the honey brown) or Moosie.

No frigging kidding. Most craft beers now are addicted to thinking we want our beer to taste like citrus, it's kinda gross.

I loved living in England because the beer selection was unlike anything here. I've come across a few Engish pubs here with real ales and the like, but far too few. I always light up when I see Tetley's on tap.lol