GDT - Kraken @ FLAMES - Tues 12 April 2022

rocketdoctor

wow at 3-1 thoguht I might turn off.  Glad I stayed the course.

Was ugly first 2 periods.  Where was Stone's D partner on that 3rd goal?

Line blender from Sutter works.  Man's a genius.

congrats to Johnny on 100 and Tkchuck not so far of either.

Go Flames Go!

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

wow at 3-1 thoguht I might turn off.  Glad I stayed the course.

Was ugly first 2 periods.  Where was Stone's D partner on that 3rd goal?

Line blender from Sutter works.  Man's a genius.

congrats to Johnny on 100 and Tkchuck not so far of either.

Go Flames Go!

Mackey.  Looks like he wanders a bit and isn't as tight defensively as the NHL requires.  He was also a bit too far away to make a play on the first goal against... Just didn't play coverage close enough.

Lucky we won the game but still, hopefully Mackey learns from this and gets better.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Mackey.  Looks like he wanders a bit and isn't as tight defensively as the NHL requires.  He was also a bit too far away to make a play on the first goal against... Just didn't play coverage close enough.

Lucky we won the game but still, hopefully Mackey learns from this and gets better.

Difference of not having Tanev as your mentor!

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

First goal - Mackey and Tanev out there.

Second goal - Mackey and Stone out there.

Third goal - Tanev and Zaddy out there, but that was an extremely weak goal.

It's a balancing act to get guys in the lineup, but you can only do that if a guy isn't 100%.

We can't really be using a game as a development environment.

I like Mackey's 1st game, but not the other two.

Stone is a fine replacement, but would use him with Tanev.

I don't think one game is great cause for concern, but let's get the regulars back in.

Not sure why we went with Ritchie over Carpenter.

4th line was buried with Lucic-Jarnkrok-Ritchie, on for 2 goals against.

When we move Lewis down and Jarny up, things stabilized a bit.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

As they used to say inBigs Bunny toons...

Re: Vegas

"I don't know how youse done it, but I lnows youse done it".

Magically just enought on TLIR to come in uder cap.

Karma is a biotch, so suck it Vegas.

I'm sure theres 31 GMs  and the league that are keeping a close watch on Vegas's shenanigans. If theres something dodgy goin on it will be found out.  If everything is above the board then there for sure be some changes in the off season.

12 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Hehe. Sometimes you lose good games, sometimes you win ugly ones. Let’s hope we got that ugly one out of our system now and return to form against Vegas. GFG! 

i watched the first and it was too much like previous games where they have played bad so I stopped watching after I finished cooking. Glad they won, but this kind of play needs to get fixed or they’re not going anywhere in the playoffs. It’s no good. It’s too often lately. Maybe it is the opponents? But I’m a believer that once it becomes normal or consistent, it’s hard to just flick the switch and become something else. It’s like in practice you play the way you practice. So, to me, these are games wher you try hone the system, tighten things up and perfect it.

I’m probably wrong, but it’s my philosophy. 

• Like 1

I watched some of the highlights again and noticed that Mangie finally had someone one his liner that could pass him the puck and let him play in the dirty areas in front of the net, which is his bread and butter, instead of having him play the boards and be the playmaker.  All of a sudden, a goal!  Go figure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I watched some of the highlights again and noticed that Mangie finally had someone one his liner that could pass him the puck and let him play in the dirty areas in front of the net, which is his bread and butter, instead of having him play the boards and be the playmaker.  All of a sudden, a goal!  Go figure.

I have been suggesting for a while that getting him away from Backs and Toff would be beneficial. I think Toff also needs to get away from Backs, but that’s a story for a different day.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i watched the first and it was too much like previous games where they have played bad so I stopped watching after I finished cooking. Glad they won, but this kind of play needs to get fixed or they’re not going anywhere in the playoffs. It’s no good. It’s too often lately. Maybe it is the opponents? But I’m a believer that once it becomes normal or consistent, it’s hard to just flick the switch and become something else. It’s like in practice you play the way you practice. So, to me, these are games wher you try hone the system, tighten things up and perfect it.

No no. I’m with you there Rob. I was going to turn it off myself. Their play does have me concerned. They’re working themselves out of their good habits. I’m hoping to see a return to form against the Knights. 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I wouldn't say it's overly concerning.  4 game road trip with really tough travel.  Some games are not gems.  Apart from the team having a bad record, it's not like we are playing a basement dweller from the 90's.  They limit shots and chances.  We had 3 part timers in the lineup.  

This is not a consistent problem.  Our 4th line yielded 2 goals.  How often does that happen?  Not very.  You are not going to win 3 periods every game.  Win 2 of 3 you likely win.  Win 1 of 3 and you have a chance, as long as you are relatively close and win the final period.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wouldn't say it's overly concerning.  4 game road trip with really tough travel.  Some games are not gems.  Apart from the team having a bad record, it's not like we are playing a basement dweller from the 90's.  They limit shots and chances.  We had 3 part timers in the lineup.  

This is not a consistent problem.  Our 4th line yielded 2 goals.  How often does that happen?  Not very.  You are not going to win 3 periods every game.  Win 2 of 3 you likely win.  Win 1 of 3 and you have a chance, as long as you are relatively close and win the final period.

maybe the schedule is really tough, but I don’t think it was just the road trip, it was also in the losing streak leading up to it. And maybe it is the schedule. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

maybe the schedule is really tough, but I don’t think it was just the road trip, it was also in the losing streak leading up to it. And maybe it is the schedule. 

It's not an excuse, but some teams really got the shaft this season.

EDM has about 8 B2B sets, and we have 15.

3 this month alone.

4 last month.

3 in Feb, and that was just after coming out of Covid.

A few teams have had similar challenges.

Long periods of time on the road or at home.  We faced the latter after Nov, Dec, and Jan extended roadies.

NYI spent 13 games on the road to start the season, but that was arena reasons.

I am okay with losing games where they put in effort.  Not always sharp, but not an alarming trend for me.  That's just me though.  I can isolate the struggles to a particular line or player.  One guy can drag down a line.  Overall the team compensates.