GDT - FLAMES @ Kings Monday 4 April 2022

rocketdoctor

38 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This. As the end of the season draws near, and teams start tightening up, it’s looking like we’re going back to being a one line team. Backlund is neutering Mange and Toff. I’m not sure yet if Jarnkrok is the solution. We may want to reconsider going with

JH - Lindy - Toff

Mange - Backs - Chucky 

Backlund’s line hasn’t produced offensively since Chucky was taken off his line. 

I didn't watch the first period but it looked like our second best line was the Lucic line... They actually generated 3 or 4 high quality chances.  Just couldn't finish.

Coleman had a couple good looks.  Tripped on himself to negate a breakaway.

Ruzicka needs to arrive as our 2nd line Center.  Backlund cannot be counted on to score goals.  He was great defensively and that should be his focus.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yeahg I wasn't really suggesting he's a 2C or even that we need that.  We need a 3C that can get the line going.  Or a 4C that keeps the play moving the right way.  I just don't think Sutter is happy with another 4C.  He wants another 3C.  He knows what Ruzie can be.  Leaving it to the player perhaps, less than the Dube treatment.  Dube seemed to be play in every position available and keep the player trying to impress and improve in all those spots.  Ruzie is just getting the impress in the one position we think you can do.

A few years ago I listened to Dutter on a panel during the playoffs. I can’t remember what year it was but it was after his LA stint and they were using him as a Flames analyst. He commented then that he felt Backlund was the best third line center in the league…then he grinned, and said again “listen to what I said…THIRD line center.”  My guess is if he had a solid option at 2C, you’d see Backs on 3C. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yeahg I wasn't really suggesting he's a 2C or even that we need that.  We need a 3C that can get the line going.  Or a 4C that keeps the play moving the right way.  I just don't think Sutter is happy with another 4C.  He wants another 3C.  He knows what Ruzie can be.  Leaving it to the player perhaps, less than the Dube treatment.  Dube seemed to be play in every position available and keep the player trying to impress and improve in all those spots.  Ruzie is just getting the impress in the one position we think you can do.

Rozie has never played wing in his entire career as opposed to Dube who can play anywhere. That said, he's likely our 3rd best center. For what that's worth. He used to be Rozie due to his personality, but Sutter has changed that. Everything is balls-serious now and Ruzicka needed a really good coach to spell it out for him.

I always thought someone needed to drill into him, "wanna be a millionaire? Stop Blockchaining around". He has that now.

He can stick handle in a phone booth and has a great shot. But that's all he did. He was lazy relying on that. Great to see him stop Blockchaining around.

56 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This. As the end of the season draws near, and teams start tightening up, it’s looking like we’re going back to being a one line team. Backlund is neutering Mange and Toff. I’m not sure yet if Jarnkrok is the solution. We may want to reconsider going with

JH - Lindy - Toff

Mange - Backs - Chucky 

Backlund’s line hasn’t produced offensively since Chucky was taken off his line. 

think we may need to go there just to see what they are capable of.  Toffee is no slouch, but I need to see some chemistry there before I go with it longer than one game.  SJS may be the right chance to do it.

I think the bigger issues is we should expect Backlund to be a defensive line only, and be happy when somebody scores a goal.  Using any of our weapons with him only puts us down a scoring line.  Dube has shown that he gets it though.  Let Backlund carry the puck in, but go to the net or go retrieve the puck after he missed wide.  Use Coleman there for that transition.

Top line

Coleman-Backlund-Dube

Mange-Ruzie-Toffee

Lucic-Jarnkrok/Carpenter-Lewis/Carpenter/Jarnkrok

The top line dominates most game, unless Tkachuk is slumping or looks like crap.

Need that 2nd scoring line; Ruzie may be the solution to feeding guys like Toffee and Bread.

Call Backlund 2nd or 3rd line, doesn't matter.

They are there to shut down lines.

4th line is grit with some defensive awareness.

Should not be worried about having them out at any point in the game.  

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Rozie has never played wing in his entire career as opposed to Dube who can play anywhere. That said, he's likely our 3rd best center. For what that's worth. He used to be Rozie due to his personality, but Sutter has changed that. Everything is balls-serious now and Ruzicka needed a really good coach to spell it out for him.

I always thought someone needed to drill into him, "wanna be a millionaire? Stop Blockchaining around". He has that now.

He can stick handle in a phone booth and has a great shot. But that's all he did. He was lazy relying on that. Great to see him stop Blockchaining around.

Dube is getting a bit of tough love to bring what Sutter expects from a full time NHL player.  Demote when you have an off game, promote when you are playing well.  Praise and criticize.  He's more plug and play than Rozie.  Rozie is still getting the show me games.  You show me, you stay.  You don't, back to the bench.  Chanllenge the guy to bring it every night.

I just think that we have to stop using Toffee in a defensive first role.  That is Coleman's bread and butter.    

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

think we may need to go there just to see what they are capable of.  Toffee is no slouch, but I need to see some chemistry there before I go with it longer than one game.  SJS may be the right chance to do it.

I think the bigger issues is we should expect Backlund to be a defensive line only, and be happy when somebody scores a goal.  Using any of our weapons with him only puts us down a scoring line.  Dube has shown that he gets it though.  Let Backlund carry the puck in, but go to the net or go retrieve the puck after he missed wide.  Use Coleman there for that transition.

Top line

Coleman-Backlund-Dube

Mange-Ruzie-Toffee

Lucic-Jarnkrok/Carpenter-Lewis/Carpenter/Jarnkrok

The top line dominates most game, unless Tkachuk is slumping or looks like crap.

Need that 2nd scoring line; Ruzie may be the solution to feeding guys like Toffee and Bread.

Call Backlund 2nd or 3rd line, doesn't matter.

They are there to shut down lines.

4th line is grit with some defensive awareness.

Should not be worried about having them out at any point in the game.  

Yes, that could work as well TD. We just gotta get Backlund away from Mange and Toff

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Addicted said:

A few years ago I listened to Dutter on a panel during the playoffs. I can’t remember what year it was but it was after his LA stint and they were using him as a Flames analyst. He commented then that he felt Backlund was the best third line center in the league…then he grinned, and said again “listen to what I said…THIRD line center.”  My guess is if he had a solid option at 2C, you’d see Backs on 3C. 

It's too bad we never got that 2C.  BT tried with Kadri, PLD, Eichel, etc.  Too elusive and after this summer, there will be no more money to get it done.

We have to call Coleman-Backs-Jarnkrok a shutdown line.

Cut the "spread the O" crap.

That's the D line vs other teams top lines.

This is the way.

Backs isn't a scorer. He's a great defender. The world doesn't have enough of those. You get favourable matchups by having a defend line. They don't have to score, just keep the other team's stars honest.

That's the most valuable asset in the playoffs, all else being equal.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

We have to call Coleman-Backs-Jarnkrok a shutdown line.

Cut the "spread the O" crap.

That's the D line vs other teams top lines.

This is the way.

Backs isn't a scorer. He's a great defender. The world doesn't have enough of those. You get favourable matchups by having a defend line. They don't have to score, just keep the other team's stars honest.

That's the most valuable asset in the playoffs, all else being equal.

Okay, I'll bite.

Mange-Dube-Toffee in that case, I assume?

Or you go with Ruzie at C, and add Dube to the 4th line to cause damage out there.

Anyway, I agree about Backlund's line needing to be just the shutdown line.

Backlund is going to get the same chances he always does.

He wants to score a goal, he better rip it high glove or swoop to the net a la McD.

Too many time he gets the pass and does nothing with it.

Whatever, just stop farting around in your own zone.

Focus on what you do well.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's too bad we never got that 2C.  BT tried with Kadri, PLD, Eichel, etc.  Too elusive and after this summer, there will be no more money to get it done.

That alone still isn't enough. Sutter has preached all season that we aren't a 'star' team. Everybody has to play the same.

1 piece being off affects the other pieces so to speak. Having 1 better piece doesn't affect the whole.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sometimes you have to grow from within.  Backlund still has a reputation, so he is tradeable.  Not for a 2C, but to free up space.  Might have to use Valimaki and Dube as trade bait to get one.  Or even Tkachuk.  I see where Getzlaf is retiring this summer.  Monahan to ANA makes some sense in that case.  

A little too early to speculate, but a lot of teams will realize their mistakes this summer.  A lot of players will get moved, an we just have to be ready to make the right trades or have the cap space to take on a difference maker.  

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That alone still isn't enough. Sutter has preached all season that we aren't a 'star' team. Everybody has to play the same.

1 piece being off affects the other pieces so to speak. Having 1 better piece doesn't affect the whole.

One more star Center changes everything.  Take us from average to elite.