Trevor Lewis

conundrumed

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yes, yes, he does deserve his own thread.

Lewis has been fantastic. We needed an identity badly and I think he's the glue. Play hard every shift is all that we ever wanted.

Now everyone does. Trev is gold, so happy we signed him.

I think he keeps Lucic in line for doing that too. I think they feed off each other. Lucic did it a lot the past few years, but I think there were many games where he'd take his foot off the gas. It's easier to do when everyone is following suit. 

It is why I don't think you can take him out of the lineup. There are many who think he's an anchor on the team and want to see young players inserted on the 4th line. I don't think that's where we should be developing our young players. They need the minutes to keep skating and keep up their skill/body-growth development..

Yes.  He's been sneaky good.  Lewis's attack angles on the forecheck and backcheck are world class.  Understands passing lanes, shot hands, and all the little things that allows him to give the other team fits all game long.

Now he's been given a bump up the Backlund's line to form a clutch shutdown trio and I think he fits in perfectly.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes.  He's been sneaky good.  Lewis's attack angles on the forecheck and backcheck are world class.  Understands passing lanes, shot hands, and all the little things that allows him to give the other team fits all game long.

Now he's been given a bump up the Backlund's line to form a clutch shutdown trio and I think he fits in perfectly.

Sums it up perfectly. I've always been a big fan of great bottom 6 guys. They get no accolades, but when you get to the playoffs they are always the difference-makers.

I used to hate Lewis with LA. He was always a pain in the Hash Rate. Now I love him.lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sums it up perfectly. I've always been a big fan of great bottom 6 guys. They get no accolades, but when you get to the playoffs they are always the difference-makers.

I used to hate Lewis with LA. He was always a pain in the Hash Rate. Now I love him.lol

He's one of those bottom 6 that if he's on the ice against the other team's best players, you feel safe.  At his age, he may need some load management so he can stay fresh going into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He's one of those bottom 6 that if he's on the ice against the other team's best players, you feel safe.  At his age, he may need some load management so he can stay fresh going into the playoffs.

I think it's going great!

Last night both teams were tired. They have two of the best players in the game, but because they use them so much, they were too tired to play. Because we've been able to roll four lines (for the most part), we've been able to outlast other teams. I think in the last two or three years, the Flames would go down a few early and have to shorten the bench, AND they'd probably shorten the bench anyway because the 4th line couldn't handle more than 4-6 minutes depending on who was playing. Eventually, especially this season, those extra minutes the big guns play add up. So now that we roll the lines, those guys can stay fresh and still be effective in their play. 

I also think that on top of that, if a 4th liner sees that they're going to get more minutes and rewarded for their play, they're going to be excited to get back out there on a regular basis and be just as effective shift in and shift out... 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

You know, I didn't even realize he was 35.  Maybe that's why he's not as big a scoring threat.  He skates like a guy much younger.

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I mentioned in the Oilers thread last night that I think Lewis is the Satoshi Nakamoto. Thanks for putting this thread up con-man! Definitely deserved! Go flames! Go Lewis! 

I think they messed with a good thing.

Moving Toffee to Backlund kinda killed Toffee.

Dube was flying, but I think you need that speed with Monahan.

Maybe not.

Maybe we just trade Dube for Strome.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think they messed with a good thing.

Moving Toffee to Backlund kinda killed Toffee.

Dube was flying, but I think you need that speed with Monahan.

Maybe not.

Maybe we just trade Dube for Strome.

i think it points to the Flames  needing a playmaker. Toffoli basically takes Monahan’s goals on the pp so it’s a wash there.

Maybe I’m wrong on Backlund and he’s not propping anyone up anymore. 

im not sold on Ruzicka yet. I think he’s still only going through the motions and not taking the bull by the horns (yet). The C position was once a sort of upside to the team but it’s really bad these days.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

1. i think it points to the Flames  needing a playmaker. Toffoli basically takes Monahan’s goals on the pp so it’s a wash there.

2. Maybe I’m wrong on Backlund and he’s not propping anyone up anymore. 

1. Exactly. A playmaker/distributor/play-driver is needed

2. Correct. Offensively. 

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think it points to the Flames  needing a playmaker. Toffoli basically takes Monahan’s goals on the pp so it’s a wash there.

Maybe I’m wrong on Backlund and he’s not propping anyone up anymore. 

im not sold on Ruzicka yet. I think he’s still only going through the motions and not taking the bull by the horns (yet). The C position was once a sort of upside to the team but it’s really bad these days.

Backlund pulls the line in a defensive direction.  Because they were getting defensive assignments at home, Mangiapane was losing some of his offense.  That's why he was scoring more on the road where they got less defensive matchups.  I thought that Toffee with Ruzie and Mange was a good line.  Putting Dube there took a shooter away.  

The 4th line was the worst last night.  Monahan 17% on the dot.  Monahan struggled in all aspects.  As did Lucic.  Lewis coulnd't prop it up.  They played 9 or less.  Monahan didn't see the PP.  Then again we had one PP.  One.  About the only lines doing anything were 1st and 3rd.  

I am concerned about how we structure the 4th line.  Ruzie is easily outperforming Mony.  Dube IMHO is concerning.  Only can handle two things, speed and shooting.  Struggles defensively and any kind of zone entry where he has the puck.  

Still loving The Trev.

I respect/hate Palat a lot for just how greasy good he is. He got The Trev.

The Trev knows your crap, he's handled better than you. He knows what your crap wants to do but gets in the way.

I loved The Trev and Lucic with Ruzicka. Saw a lot of chattering and pointing on the bench with the rook.

Hadn't considered putting The Trev on line 2 but I think I love it.

Another option, another look. Can't have enough of those.

• 5 weeks later...

Back-to-back games with a goal. Lewis is getting into playoff-mode of fight hard for everything.

I liked this signing from the getgo. He looks like the Trevor Lewis that I remember. A pita that's annoying as hell to play and doesn't take many penalties doing it.

I hated him with LA but respected him as a really savvy bottom 6 player. Goals make the highlight reels, but the other 95% of the game is what guys like Lewis do to hold the fort. I recall reading his teammates would always vote him their MVP. And here we are. Still that Trevor Lewis.

Did Sutter accidentally refer to him as "Stitch" or "Stitches" the other day when he was talking about Toffoli?

Something like, "Him and Stitch....uh Lewis know the score, what the play is, how much time's on the clock".

I may have mis-heard and shoulda went back, but I prolly saw something shiny and the ADD kicked in.

Ya goot love a guy that plays RW on a 4th line, make them a better line, then kick it up a notch and play as a C to a 3rd line.  Last year we had a Nordstrom, who was not even remotely as impactful.  He's one of the better PK players we have.  Scores big goals.  Keeps Lucic from looking like a train wreck.  I don't think he was using Stitch as a nickname, just Sutter getting names mixed up at times I think.  

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Only pity with Lewis is he's 35-years-old so he should only play 12-minutes a night max.  Would like to use him in a 3rd line role playing 18-20-minutes a night.  He needs load management.

2 B2B's left.  Lewis plays on the PK a lot and would like to see them let Lindholm get fresher.  Playoffs will be a different beast, so his minutes then will be a product of the team(s) we play.