GDT - Flames at Blues January 27, 2022

travel_dude

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

JT Miller looking pretty good with the Hatty tonight :ph34r: Backlund or Mony have 3 goals yet this season? Lol

Monahan (7) and Backlund (6).

The point is well founded.

Then again, neither plays on the top line.

Horvat will push him back down when he gets back.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan (7) and Backlund (6).

The point is well founded.

Then again, neither plays on the top line.

Horvat will push him back down when he gets back.

I know I know TD. Maybe I’m being a dick, but I just can’t see what our wingers are capable of with those 2 centering them. One needs to go, and if we can push backs down to 3C I’d be happier. 

We got the blues right where we can turn it on them. They start the period on a PP, so they’re going to start the period overconfident and some details are going to slip. Time to take advantage! GFG! 

30 odd seconds of PK time.

We are obviously a little tired.

Mental mistakes.

Schedule loss.

No excuses, as we have three more of these B2B sets coming up in the next three weeks.

I susoect we will push the poace early and get one back.

If there is enough resolve, then we can get ahead of them.

Unfortunately, they are keying in on Gaudreau and Tkachuk is slightly off in his timing.

Perfect time for Lindholm to step up.

Just now, LouCifer said:

I know I know TD. Maybe I’m being a dick, but I just can’t see what our wingers are capable of with those 2 centering them. One needs to go, and if we can push backs down to 3C I’d be happier. 

Dube is muscled off the puck most times.

He can shoot, but never gets a clean look.

Considering Mangiapane is shifty, maybe time to make that shift again.

Or try Mange and Dube on Ruzie's wings for a bit.

We are not getting any speed going.

When we do, the pass is in the feet.

Ok. Not a horrible game by the flames despite the score. Credit to St. Loo. They wanted to win this game and they went out and did it. I thought we could’ve pushed back harder but it didn’t happen. Sure it’s a back to back, but CBJ collectively bent over for us last night so I wouldn’t say we were really fatigued. Heck, if Sutter thinks Markstrom had such an easy night in CBJ that he could play a back to back, the rest of the team should be just fine. Again. Not a terrible game by the flames, but, as usual, the flames only go so far as line 1 takes them. And somehow Chucky was unnoticeable in his hometown. 

Ok. Not a horrible game by the flames despite the score. Credit to St. Loo. They wanted to win this game and they went out and did it. I thought we could’ve pushed back harder but it didn’t happen. Sure it’s a back to back, but CBJ collectively bent over for us last night so I wouldn’t say we were really fatigued. Heck, if Sutter thinks Markstrom had such an easy night in CBJ that he could play a back to back, the rest of the team should be just fine. Again. Not a terrible game by the flames, but, as usual, the flames only go so far as line 1 takes them. And somehow Chucky was unnoticeable in his hometown. 

I noticed Chucky and it was not for a good reason.

One timer didn't even come close to the net, went past the blue paint almost back to Gaudreau.

Tripping and falling out there.

Backlund had a chance to make a difference and came up lame.

Two odd man rushes (one breakaway) and best he can do is glove.

Behind the goalie and manages to hit the outside of the post.

Sutter gave Ruzie a chance to work himself out of the doghouse.

I think he is still the best we have for that spot, but Ritchie is jinxed.

Special teams were not a factor.

NHL is so bizarre.

We play STL then have a day off and play again in Ohio.

They have 2 days off and we have a B2B.

And we haven't even hit the 3 B2B's in 3 weeks.  

The boys palyed well in the last game against St louis and Columbus. My observation on the game was missed or blown assignment from Monhan twice, compounded by Markstrom blunders, the first 2 goals should have been stopped. Blues 1st goal was Marksttom should of had, this is the type of goal he has allowed multiple times this year, the second one he cheated and left the side open for Sheen,  it was obvious. The 3rd and 4th goal are poor plays by Ruzica. This is where Sutters comments are not wrong. I think if not mistaken this has been an issue with the player. Your in the big show now and if you can't put forth a big boy effort your not going to last.  Lastly we once again don't capilaize on our oppurtunitys. St Louis did what good clubs do when the oppossition makes a mistake. We need this to happen in a 5-1 ratio in order to be successful. I didn't think in an overall assessment that this was a game where St Louis dominated it was more of we self imploded. We never gained any momentum plus there was chatter and belief that they were going to lose anyway, they got what they believed. Less mistakes and a key save little better effort, we could of salvaged a point at least. 

19 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The boys palyed well in the last game against St louis and Columbus. My observation on the game was missed or blown assignment from Monhan twice, compounded by Markstrom blunders, the first 2 goals should have been stopped. Blues 1st goal was Marksttom should of had, this is the type of goal he has allowed multiple times this year, the second one he cheated and left the side open for Sheen,  it was obvious. The 3rd and 4th goal are poor plays by Ruzica. This is where Sutters comments are not wrong. I think if not mistaken this has been an issue with the player. Your in the big show now and if you can't put forth a big boy effort your not going to last.  Lastly we once again don't capilaize on our oppurtunitys. St Louis did what good clubs do when the oppossition makes a mistake. We need this to happen in a 5-1 ratio in order to be successful. I didn't think in an overall assessment that this was a game where St Louis dominated it was more of we self imploded. We never gained any momentum plus there was chatter and belief that they were going to lose anyway, they got what they believed. Less mistakes and a key save little better effort, we could of salvaged a point at least. 

Well, the first goal was Monahan not recognizing the speed the player was increasing to.  It wasn't a weak shot, but it's somewhat concerning that Markstrom doesn't get any piece of it.  The second goal was a loopy puck that hopped over his stick.  Hanifin and Ras were both playing the puck holder, but Hanifin gave up the player to the pass.  

I think if you listen closely, Sutter called out the vets on the goals against.  Said they were responsible for the 3 against.  So that's Monahan, Ras, Hanifin, Zaddy and Guddy.  Sure Ruzie was out there for 2, but got burned on a bumped pass out.  He was one of 5 players out there for the other goal.

Sutter seems to have lost confidence in Vladar.  Said the decidion to start Markstrom was easy and had been made some time ago.  Light workload for Marky in the last month and Vladar winless in a month.  Whether that is a fair statement, he doesn't pull his punches.   

Hard to be mad at them after 2 huge wins.   And, they are still 1 win above 50% wins.  Something I look at for whatever reason.   

At this stage though, patience would be limited if followed by another consecutive round of losses.    Hopefully they take care of Vancouver nicely.

14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Hard to be mad at them after 2 huge wins.   And, they are still 1 win above 50% wins.  Something I look at for whatever reason.   

At this stage though, patience would be limited if followed by another consecutive round of losses.    Hopefully they take care of Vancouver nicely.

they better start resting Markstrom. He needs to be focussed to play better. I wonder if Goaltending is more cerebral than we give it credit for and fatigue affects mental and that affects technique and tracking. 

there is a sweet spot between playing enough and getting enough reps to be on and getting too many and being mentally fatigued or fatigued.

I don't see any issue with Markstrom usage nor do I think rest is an issue. He's only played 8 games in the month of January and 6 in the last two weeks. It's not a lot. 

I'd be more concerned about him being in rhythm than I would be about him not being rested or mentally fatigued. I think Sutter made the right call playing him back to back personally. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't see any issue with Markstrom usage nor do I think rest is an issue. He's only played 8 games in the month of January and 6 in the last two weeks. It's not a lot. 

I'd be more concerned about him being in rhythm than I would be about him not being rested or mentally fatigued. I think Sutter made the right call playing him back to back personally. 

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

they better start resting Markstrom. He needs to be focussed to play better. I wonder if Goaltending is more cerebral than we give it credit for and fatigue affects mental and that affects technique and tracking. 

there is a sweet spot between playing enough and getting enough reps to be on and getting too many and being mentally fatigued or fatigued.

imho, it depends whether you plan on needing that goalie in the playoffs.

I think Sutter made the right call as well.  But we may not all agree on why I think that.