FLAMES @ Penguins Thurs 28 Oct 2021

rocketdoctor

How many shots on goal for the Flames tonight?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How many shots on goal for the Flames tonight?

• Under 20
    • 20-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • over 35

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get too up or too down on game sets.

We have a long roadie after a 5 game home stand.

Every game matters

My guy…it’s legal now! Get up and stay high up for every game set lol! I’m curious to see how we play as a home team. So far Flames have looked very comfy on the road. Alas it’s on 5 games but I don’t see Sutter allowing them to stray too far if they start to. 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

My guy…it’s legal now! Get up and stay high up for every game set lol! I’m curious to see how we play as a home team. So far Flames have looked very comfy on the road. Alas it’s on 5 games but I don’t see Sutter allowing them to stray too far if they start to. 

I am a positive guy.  I just keep is real.  Can't let my pride get too jacked up.  Yet.

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

You have to wonder about the players that knew…how much blame do they share and do they deserve reprimand? Wow what a mess 

That is a very good question, and it applies to many others. Whistle blowers tend to experience difficulties finding employment after they come clean with something because companies worry that they are trouble makers. If you bury a criminal matter, as these guys have done, then you are punished for a cover up. You cannot win. The corporation is designed in such a way as to incentivize coverups. What level of culpability should be assigned to people who did not actually DO anything wrong, but failed to report the matter? For example, should Q be forced to resign? Should Chevy? Those who made decisions in this matter such as giving dude the letter of reference and shipping the guy elsewhere should face the music. But, I am not sure exactly sure what sanction should be handed to the others. I would actually lean on the side of being lenient in order to increase the likelihood of more reporting in the future. If there was no structural penalty to these people, I suspect that they would have been more than happy to report the matter.

• Like 1

Hey guys! Wow what a road trip, and what a development with this team! Sorry I’ve been MIA for these early games - my “dad shift” doesn’t end until around 9pm and then I watch the game from the beginning to the end. Don’t want any spoilers while I’m catching up so I avoid the forum. 

Anyways. Wow. Markstrom was on fuego tonight. Holy Satoshi Nakamoto. Pittsburgh carried the play a lot (the PPs helped) but I was surprised to see how good they were without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup. 

My thoughts on tonight. 
- Sutter had Andersson and Kylington quarterbacking the PP 😵 Crazy awesome

- Stone played extremely well and easily surpassed my expectations for him. Seems he’s picked up where he left off last season

- Gudbranson is living up to his name and making me eat crow. Sure there were a couple of shifts where he made some mistakes, especially that one where he caught a rut in the ice and totally blew a tire letting PIT go in 2-on-1, but he’s doing what he needs to do to help us win games. 
- One of the most under-rated and under-utilized play in today’s NHL is defensemen pinning players against the boards for a few steamboats. Gudbranson, Stone, and I even saw Kyller doing it. This is exhausting for forwards and also takes them out of the play and out of the cycle. Sooo effective. 
- I thought Kyller was outstanding. I’ve been pulling for the guy for a while and I hope management now sees he belongs here. 
- Some solid defensive plays by Kyller and Valimaki breaking up odd man rushes by laying flat to interrupt passes. Gold. 
- Looch with the scoring streak! That’s 2 games in a row right? Woot woot!

- PIT was playing Mange tight. He still got loose a few times there, but it was obvious PIT coaching targeted him tonight. 
- Dube with a great snipe and had a few more chances. Sutter giving the kid Center ice, I love it. 

Man alive, it’s been fun to watch these games. The wins are a big bonus to me, but the Flames are putting in the work. Bravo! 🤩

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

My thoughts on tonight. 
- Sutter had Andersson and Kylington quarterbacking the PP 😵 Crazy awesome

- Stone played extremely well and easily surpassed my expectations for him. Seems he’s picked up where he left off last season

- Gudbranson is living up to his name and making me eat crow. Sure there were a couple of shifts where he made some mistakes, especially that one where he caught a rut in the ice and totally blew a tire letting PIT go in 2-on-1, but he’s doing what he needs to do to help us win games. 
- One of the most under-rated and under-utilized play in today’s NHL is defensemen pinning players against the boards for a few steamboats. Gudbranson, Stone, and I even saw Kyller doing it. This is exhausting for forwards and also takes them out of the play and out of the cycle. Sooo effective. 
- I thought Kyller was outstanding. I’ve been pulling for the guy for a while and I hope management now sees he belongs here. 
- Some solid defensive plays by Kyller and Valimaki breaking up odd man rushes by laying flat to interrupt passes. Gold. 
- Looch with the scoring streak! That’s 2 games in a row right? Woot woot!

- PIT was playing Mange tight. He still got loose a few times there, but it was obvious PIT coaching targeted him tonight. 
- Dube with a great snipe and had a few more chances. Sutter giving the kid Center ice, I love it. 

The kids have really stepped up this year.

Valimaki and Kylington are just so steady.

I was surprised that Kyl got PP time.

Not enough trust yet for the PK, but it's a start.  Over 2 minutes.

If I'm not mistaken, Kyl was on the top unit?

Might just have been the end of the other unit but it seemed to be that way.

If so, then I would give it another game.

The top PP is not quite set with the LD out there.

Good to see him get a couple of apples tonight.

Primary assist on Coleman's and secondary on Dubbs.

Really nice road trip. There are a few things not to like. The Flames let some teams back in after taking big leads, a few guys are struggling a bit, and game 5 was a bit sloppy. But that's being nit-picky. 

Gaudreau looks awesome, as do a large portion of the forwards. The D is playing pretty well top to bottom, and that includes guys like Kylington and Gudbranson who had flags. Markstrom has been playing very well. The coach still has the classic Sutter style that made him successful, but he has also evolved in a few areas. Most of all, I love the structure and compete. 

There is still most of a season left so they need to keep it up. But it's an encouraging start for sure. 

10 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Hey guys! Wow what a road trip, and what a development with this team! Sorry I’ve been MIA for these early games - my “dad shift” doesn’t end until around 9pm and then I watch the game from the beginning to the end. Don’t want any spoilers while I’m catching up so I avoid the forum. 

I'm in a similar situation except I've only caught the highlights afterwards.  So I haven't commented much on this road trip.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I'm in a similar situation except I've only caught the highlights afterwards.  So I haven't commented much on this road trip.

My problem has been watching a few games at a time.lol

I try to focus on the Flames but everyone likes the Leafs, and that trainwreck is hard to turn away from. I'm also following the Wings, Canes and FLA so this Eastern swing I was total ADD.

I was always a Sutter fan, but damn, he's on a whole other level. I feel like we get control of a game and he switches gears on purpose and starts practicing other facets.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I try to focus on the Flames but everyone likes the Leafs, and that trainwreck is hard to turn away from. I'm also following the Wings, Canes and FLA so this Eastern swing I was total ADD.

I was always a Sutter fan, but damn, he's on a whole other level. I feel like we get control of a game and he switches gears on purpose and starts practicing other facets.

Good that he doesn't accept a win as being the only result that's important.  No, he doesn't need to complain about it, but work on the parts of the game that get away from us.  The PK has been solid.  The PP is a work in progress.  Nice to see some things different being tried.  Alternate the bump back to other things.  JH is not the only guy that can gain the zone.  Everyone is looking for him to carry it.  If we have both Monahan and Tkachuk as  net-front presence, the point guy only is not going to have many shot lanes.  Perhaps Tkachuk should be on the 2nd unit so that we have more options for shots.  Maybe think about Coleman on the 1st unit.

Anyway, that's something that can evolve.  Work in progress.  A lot of the D-zone time last night happened due to not getting the puck out cleanly.  We get the puck and it's not cleared; rinse and repeat.  Some of it was relentless forechecking by the other team.  Some was a whiffed pass.  The good things I saw were the D talking to the goalie so there was no confusion.     

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Good that he doesn't accept a win as being the only result that's important.  No, he doesn't need to complain about it, but work on the parts of the game that get away from us.  The PK has been solid.  The PP is a work in progress.  Nice to see some things different being tried.  Alternate the bump back to other things.  JH is not the only guy that can gain the zone.  Everyone is looking for him to carry it.  If we have both Monahan and Tkachuk as  net-front presence, the point guy only is not going to have many shot lanes.  Perhaps Tkachuk should be on the 2nd unit so that we have more options for shots.  Maybe think about Coleman on the 1st unit.

Anyway, that's something that can evolve.  Work in progress.  A lot of the D-zone time last night happened due to not getting the puck out cleanly.  We get the puck and it's not cleared; rinse and repeat.  Some of it was relentless forechecking by the other team.  Some was a whiffed pass.  The good things I saw were the D talking to the goalie so there was no confusion.     

The D talking to the goalie is so key.    You see that dissappear on frustrated teams.  Followed by the goalie "talking" to the D lol.   So that is really nice to see.

Incredible road trip.  Mangiapane amazing.   Some concern over Monahan.     Not about to complain right now lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Ive been watching FLA as well - mainly because I’m a Bennett fan and I want to see him have success. But wow has that TEAM impressed me. Very fun to watch. They’re my early pick for the cup this year, but I feel the Coach Q resignation is going to have a major effect on the team. We’re going to see how much very soon. I’m actually considering picking up a FLA Bennett jersey. And a Mangipane one as well of course! 😁

Speaking of which, remember when everyone was freaking out about Mange taking number 88 (Lindros)? Dare I ask who’s metrics are better out of the two players thus far? Hahaha j/k. Stirring a pot that hasn’t been stirred in a long time… Seems like the right thing to do around Halloween! Throw some eye of newt in there too! 🧿

Speaking of eye of newt… I have enough family griping and moaning about the leafs that I haven’t had to watch a single game or highlight this season - I’ve heard it all already on repeat all day every day! It’s fall, and the leafs are blowing 😆