overtime

Horsman1

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'd prefer it.

See and I hate ties. Kinda bothers me when you pay for a ticket and there's no winner lol.

I do hate the loser point though. The Flames missed the playoffs last season because the Habs lost more games in OT. I'm not a fan of rewarding a team for losing. I just find it funny, because I'm a big baseball fan and a team can play a 6hr, 17 inning game and get nothing more than a loss out of it. No reward for losing. 

The international point system would also interest me. 3pts for a regulation win, 2pts for OT/SO. 1 for a loss. As much as I hate it, the NHL is never getting rid of the loser point. Keeps teams in the mix later into the season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The international point system would also interest me. 3pts for a regulation win, 2pts for OT/SO. 1 for a loss. As much as I hate it, the NHL is never getting rid of the loser point. Keeps teams in the mix later into the season.

This exactly.  Time to go to 3-point system.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

See and I hate ties. Kinda bothers me when you pay for a ticket and there's no winner lol.

I do hate the loser point though. The Flames missed the playoffs last season because the Habs lost more games in OT. I'm not a fan of rewarding a team for losing. I just find it funny, because I'm a big baseball fan and a team can play a 6hr, 17 inning game and get nothing more than a loss out of it. No reward for losing. 

I think that would help separate the ones with loser points from the winners.

MTL got a playoff spot due to them.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm not a fan of the loser point either which is why I'd rather see a tie in those cases. Change it to a 10 min 3 on 3 and there will still be the excitement.

If its necessary to have a winner then have the standings ranked by winning % or something, just get rid of the loser point.

38 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'm not a fan of the loser point either which is why I'd rather see a tie in those cases. Change it to a 10 min 3 on 3 and there will still be the excitement.

If its necessary to have a winner then have the standings ranked by winning % or something, just get rid of the loser point.

I think much like why the loser point was brought in to begin with, bringing back ties will just change 3 on 3 to a bore 5 or 10 minutes teams will play it safe in fear of losing a point.  No points for a tie and then maybe you get something.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

5 min 4-on-4, 5min 3-on-3. 2pt win, 1 pt tie. Hate loser points and 3pt wins a lot more than ties.

I sort of agree with this. I think that it'd be best to go back to something like the old system. I'd keep the 3x3, and if they must keep the shootout, I'd cap at five shooters. After that, it's a tie. Oh, and losing in overtime or a shootout is still a loss, so that means 0 points. I think you'd see very few ties.

2 points for a win

1 point for a tie

0 points for a loss

Love.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I sort of agree with this. I think that it'd be best to go back to something like the old system. I'd keep the 3x3, and if they must keep the shootout, I'd cap at five shooters. After that, it's a tie. Oh, and losing in overtime or a shootout is still a loss, so that means 0 points. I think you'd see very few ties.

2 points for a win

1 point for a tie

0 points for a loss

Love.

Not sure I agree with the tie part.

The problem with the tie of old was that teams shut it down to get that 1 point.

You make 0 for a loss in OT, and teams wouldn't want to take a shot, for fear of losing possession.

Take the chance on the shootout.

My hatred is the shootout, so if you made the OT longer, it would be better.

3 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I don't like the shootout either, but I think that the league does. Surely, the novelty has worn off by now?

Love.

I think it stems back to the Olympics.

Soccer shootouts.

Olympic hockey final.

WJC final.

Blech.

Funny, last year we were better at SO than 3v3 OT.

Before that we could only seem to win 3v3.

Both are gimmicks and create some fan buzz, but I can really only stand the 3v3.

32 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Last few OT games, and I was thinking, "Gosh, we're really missing TJ Brodie."

I wonder if Oliver Kylington could fill that role.

Love.

He's a bit more mobile than Hanifin, so I wonder if you are right.

Given that much space, he could fly.

I would like to see him actually shoot more in games.

The negative thing about Ras or Hanifin is that they get beat in a lot of foot races.

Brodie used to be that defensive conscience in OT.

Never got too far in the zone unless it was a 3 on 1; he was the trailer there too.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, travel_dude said:

Not sure I agree with the tie part.

The problem with the tie of old was that teams shut it down to get that 1 point.

You make 0 for a loss in OT, and teams wouldn't want to take a shot, for fear of losing possession.

Take the chance on the shootout.

My hatred is the shootout, so if you made the OT longer, it would be better.

what if the game started with the shootout?? starting 5 skaters from each team have one try.. if the shootout ends in a tie.. so be it.. If one team wins the shootout, they get the extra point if the game remains tied after regulation. would make for an exciting beginning to every game