• Johhny Hockey
    • Breadman
    • Pout Chucky
    • The Coalman
    • Other

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Radical thinking....

Hanifin-Ras (no issues with them)

Valimaki-Tanev (steady guy with young Jedi)

Kylington with Guddy or Zaddy (skating helps this pair out of bad situations)

I think this is completely logical and straighforward.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's radical lol.

Radical, is picking Simon Nemek or Javid Jiricek in the upcoming draft.   The only thing radical about that is we're going to pick higher than them, so it implies we gain some extra picks at the trade deadline lol.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh I also want to comment on Zegras because this was my first full viewing of him.  He's kind of over rated.  At no time did he make any individual play that was mind blowing or elite.  He tried one between the leg pass on that 2-on-1 in tight but it was a poor decision considering the place on the ice.  He should've took the shot there.  Is this guy supposed to be so good that ANA won't trade him for Eichel?  His shots weren't all that accurate or deceptive either. He has above average smarts but nothing elite.  I didn't see anything that convinced me we are looking at the next Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Barzal, etc.  Feels like we're looking at a RNH-level type of player.  70-point potential max.

Zegras is a work in progress.  Fantastic WJC campaign, but will take time like Connor McM and Cozens.

Would you trade either of those guys?

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

It is only 2 games but at the same time the only reason I focus on the Zadorov-Tanev pairing is they've never been good. They were bad in the preseason and they've continued to be bad in the regular season. The sample size is growing and I get concerned when pairs/lines don't show any flashes and for me Z and Tanev have shown no flashes or evidence they can or will work. 

That is an option but it's not the only one IMO. Valimaki has been good to start IMO and Kylington had a great pre season. No reason IMO you can't try those 2 as well. 

But to be fair here this is not all Zadorov. Tanev has not had a good 2 games either and I thought he really struggled last night. 

Ya i'm not as hard on them as you.  I think they have their use and place.  Defend first and then worry about moving the puck up ice second.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Cam Fowler was easily the best Duck last night and probably the best D-man on the ice.  -1.

And that was in a win.

+/- doesn't explain mch.

That was Drysdale imho.

But Drysdale, Fowler, and Shattenkirk were all better than our best D imho.  Even +/- for the other two.

We don't have a first line pairing and that explains all that needs to be explained here.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think this is completely logical and straighforward.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's radical lol.

Radical, is picking Simon Nemek or Javid Jiricek in the upcoming draft.   The only thing radical about that is we're going to pick higher than them, so it implies we gain some extra picks at the trade deadline lol.

Radical, as in not in Dutter's playbook.

It may happen at some point, but Dutter didn't like Kylington's skating with the puck and passing to nobody in the O-zone.

Unfortunately, it's exactly what we see when Hanifin skates behind the other net in the O-zone.

It's possession only, with little use of other players.

If you were to rate the D-man on the team from the pre-season, it would be Ras, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, Mackey, Stone, Zadorov, Gudbranson.

A little fuzzy on the last four, but I think Mackey was better. 

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

That was Drysdale imho.

But Drysdale, Fowler, and Shattenkirk were all better than our best D imho.  Even +/- for the other two.

We don't have a first line pairing and that explains all that needs to be explained here.

Whatever.

Other than Fowler, we had our way with them for most of the night.

Fowler made the big plays and Gibson kept them in it.

Had we played that way against EDM, we would have easily beat them.

Smith had maybe one difficult save, whereas Gibson had a lot.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Zegras is a work in progress.  Fantastic WJC campaign, but will take time like Connor McM and Cozens.

Would you trade either of those guys?

McDavid is not the right example to use here.  He was a phenom that didn't take any time.

Cozens and Zegras is a fair comparison.  Cozens was taken 2 picks ahead of Zegras in 2019.  I mean, I get it from an age perspective that ANA would rather keep building than to move Zegras for Eichel because that signals a win-now situation.  So from an age perspective, Zegras has higher value than Eichel because of where ANA is in their rebuild.  This is different than VGK refusing to move Peyton Krebs for Eichel.  That's a no brainer trade for VGK because they are in win-now mode and can't wait for Krebs to develop.  COL probably wants to dangle Alex Newhook to get Eichel which is the right move except COL needs to shed significant salary.

Ya anyways, I was just saying.  I thought Zegras could be just as good as Eichel so that's why ANA refused to trade him but now it looks like ANA wants to be patient and keep drafting high picks for the next two years.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whatever.

Other than Fowler, we had our way with them for most of the night.

Fowler made the big plays and Gibson kept them in it.

Had we played that way against EDM, we would have easily beat them.

Smith had maybe one difficult save, whereas Gibson had a lot.

Well whatever to you as well lol.    Yeah I agree that we have reason to disagree, it is all pretty subjective and we're working with literally a two-game sample size.   So ok.

I do feel like you're kind of avoiding the actual issue though, that we have no first-line D.   Or C.   Or RW.   (abstaining from G for now)

Like, we can analyse this to death but we are the league's first-line LW team.   That is our identity.  LW.

We tried firing coaches...and I mean...a Lot of coaches..    then we tried blaming the bottom 6 depth players.   So we picked up a bunch more bottom 6 depth players.  ok.  great.

We still have no first line.  

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

McDavid is not the right example to use here.  He was a phenom that didn't take any time.

Cozens and Zegras is a fair comparison.  Cozens was taken 2 picks ahead of Zegras in 2019.  I mean, I get it from an age perspective that ANA would rather keep building than to move Zegras for Eichel because that signals a win-now situation.  So from an age perspective, Zegras has higher value than Eichel because of where ANA is in their rebuild.  This is different than VGK refusing to move Peyton Krebs for Eichel.  That's a no brainer trade for VGK because they are in win-now mode and can't wait for Krebs to develop.  COL probably wants to dangle Alex Newhook to get Eichel which is the right move except COL needs to shed significant salary.

Ya anyways, I was just saying.  I thought Zegras could be just as good as Eichel so that's why ANA refused to trade him but now it looks like ANA wants to be patient and keep drafting high picks for the next two years.

Connor McMichael, not McD.

McM was right up there as Canad's best player.

No way Washington trades him.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya i'm not as hard on them as you.  I think they have their use and place.  Defend first and then worry about moving the puck up ice second.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a pairing defending first. The reason I am hard on them is they are not really doing that, they are giving up the most in terms of zone time and high danger chances of any of the pairings. If you are going to struggle moving the puck up the ice, you better be air tight in your own zone. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't have a problem with the idea of a pairing defending first. The reason I am hard on them is they are not really doing that, they are giving up the most in terms of zone time and high danger chances of any of the pairings. If you are going to struggle moving the puck up the ice, you better be air tight in your own zone. 

There is less shame for sitting a player for a game than there is to constantly have to see their mistakes on game films or being yelled at in practice or on the bench.

He's not a lost cause, as he's only 2 years older than Hanifin and 1.5 years older than Ras.

But he's playing his way into the doghouse. 

Probably there will be a full practice in the next two days, and he better learn.

54 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well whatever to you as well lol.    Yeah I agree that we have reason to disagree, it is all pretty subjective and we're working with literally a two-game sample size.   So ok.

I do feel like you're kind of avoiding the actual issue though, that we have no first-line D.   Or C.   Or RW.   (abstaining from G for now)

Like, we can analyse this to death but we are the league's first-line LW team.   That is our identity.  LW.

We tried firing coaches...and I mean...a Lot of coaches..    then we tried blaming the bottom 6 depth players.   So we picked up a bunch more bottom 6 depth players.  ok.  great.

We still have no first line.  

It's not like their defense beat us.  Their goalie did.

They had two goals from the guy that last touched the puck, who happened to be D.

Fowler scored a nice goal but entirely stoppable.

Drysdale has offensive flair, but his goal was a tap in that only Backlund could miss.

He may not be more than a Barrie.

Yes, we do have a top pairing.

They are young but are really just playing together for the first sustained time, other than playoffs against Dallas.

No, we don't have a top RW that is a RHS.

We do have a top line that has sustained pressure against good team and bad teams.

The top 3 have 24 shots in 2 games.

Most teams have limited RHS's.  They are rare compared to LHS.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's not like their defense beat us.  Their goalie did.

Sure, you could make that arguement.   And you know my thoughts on Markstrom.   We could agree to go down that path lol, but I'll refrain for now.   It takes us to the same place, missing first liners.

They had two goals from the guy that last touched the puck, who happened to be D.

Fowler scored a nice goal but entirely stoppable.

Drysdale has offensive flair, but his goal was a tap in that only Backlund could miss.

He may not be more than a Barrie.

The best goalscorers make it look easy.   Not saying Drysdale is the next Bobby Orr.    But yeah.  We had options in the last few drafts and we downgraded instead of upgraded.    It's already costing us games.  

Yes, we do have a top pairing.

They are young but are really just playing together for the first sustained time, other than playoffs against Dallas.

No, we don't have a top RW that is a RHS.

We do have a top line that has sustained pressure against good team and bad teams.

The top 3 have 24 shots in 2 games.

Most teams have limited RHS's.  They are rare compared to LHS.

No, we don't.

Agreed, on the RHS.   But now we're down a LD and Center as well (cough cough refraining on the goalie).

Plus, we passed up Several opportunities to obtain premium RHS D, and...quite frankly, gave all our existing ones away.

Which, given the shortage you just mentioned...is really weird.

25 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The best goalscorers make it look easy.   Not saying Drysdale is the next Bobby Orr.    But yeah.  We had options in the last few drafts and we downgraded instead of upgraded.    It's already costing us games.  

How did we miss out on a 6th overall?  I guess we didn't trade a bunch to get there, not that ANA would have traded it.

A 2020 pick, assuming we got the best D available when we picked, wasn't going to win us that game.

Drysdale was the only D to play in the NHL.

In 2019, no D have played from 26 onward.

We didn't trade away an earlier placement.

30 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

No, we don't.

Opinions and $2 will get you a coffee.

We can each go buy one.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How did we miss out on a 6th overall?  I guess we didn't trade a bunch to get there, not that ANA would have traded it.

A 2020 pick, assuming we got the best D available when we picked, wasn't going to win us that game.

We can each go buy one.

you guys going to Tim’s? Can I get an extra large steeped tea with 2 sugars, please?

• Like 1

Oh comeon....I saw you complaining just the other day that we should have upgraded our picks for a Center lol.  

We're not that far off and we're going to be a lot less far off very soon here.

We can each go buy one.

Working from home.   I'm literally brewing one now just from reading the words.   True story.    The best things in life are free.   Like how we acquired Giordano.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Oh comeon....I saw you complaining just the other day that we should have upgraded our picks for a Center lol.  

We're not that far off and we're going to be a lot less far off very soon here.

Working from home.   I'm literally brewing one now just from reading the words.   True story.    The best things in life are free.   Like how we acquired Giordano.

And our best two players are literally late round picks.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

you guys going to Tim’s? Can I get an extra large steeped tea with 2 sugars, please?

Only $2.02 in AB.

Gotta love lack of 15% VAT.

I always hated living on the East Coast for the ridiculous tax rules.

15% on a used car.

Was 17% in the early days of GST.

And it was tax on tax.

What you want in your tea?  Milk or cream?

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Only $2.02 in AB.

15% on a used car.

And it was tax on tax.

no cream or milk! Just sugar! 

ya, our taxing system is ridiculous! In BC we are about 12% in total. 

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's what happens when you let your first and second rounders walk (Bennett, Fox), and give away the rest of them lol.

Who's our 2 best players now?   Agreed on Gaudreau.  Even though I always suggest trading him he's clearly one of the most talented and entertaining guys in the league.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Only $2.02 in AB.

15% on a used car.

And it was tax on tax.

Despite my stance on the vaccine I am very much with you on this, there's a reason I always talk about how we need more on the right side lol