Preseason Game #4: Vancouver @ Calgary

conundrumed

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I think ya all missed my statement " if Grubranson could find his game". I agree he should be gifted a spot because he was tough, It would be awesome if he played a good shut down role as well as added some intimidation. What gets hilarious is eveyone thinks this would be a nightly thing.... This precident only has to happen once or twice before players in the league take notice, and it stops. 

When you say "find his game" do you mean achieving his career high of 13pts? Or his best year of +7? He brings nothing that Zad, Looch or Ritchie already bring and with everyones concern at the overall quality of the Flames defence theres no need for him to take up a spot.

Its more likely players will notice that he can be goaded into unnecessary penalties.

33 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

When you say "find his game" do you mean achieving his career high of 13pts? Or his best year of +7? He brings nothing that Zad, Looch or Ritchie already bring and with everyones concern at the overall quality of the Flames defence theres no need for him to take up a spot.

Its more likely players will notice that he can be goaded into unnecessary penalties.

He may not be the worst 3oa in NHL history, but he can't be far off.

He's not exactly Ekblad. This was a PTO, don't understand the $2per.

Makes me wonder if Sutter reached out AND THEN BT secured a much better version in Zadorov.

I can't see him drawing in much beyond Zadorov's suspensions. Zadorov loves the hitting. The NHL, notsomuch. He'll get suspended for being a really good checker.

It's the NHL. Surprised the refs let his "pop" on Podkolzin(?) let it go to a Flames goal.

That's the Zady we need.  A Dman that introduces himself properly. "POW". "Hi everyone".

Can't wait to see more of that. Love that we have a "I love hitting" Russian dman.

So far, he's making me forget about Phaneuf. Next up, if Zady can be Regher, I'm calling BINGO. Exacting intimidation, good D play.

We need more Russians.

Hope he reads this, seeing as he isn't from NA and probably knows how to laugh. Lucic wasn't enough. Ritchie became 1st line just to protect Johnny.

We've intimidated zero teams with aggression for too many years now. So everyone laughed at us last year as, "a team with no identity".

Constant. Nobody was afraid to get hit in our Dzone, Completely owned in the neutral zone.

Opposition didn't worry about us being tough with big checks.

Thank you for choosing Calgary. You'll be loved.

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He may not be the worst 3oa in NHL history, but he can't be far off.

He's not exactly Ekblad. This was a PTO, don't understand the $2per.

Makes me wonder if Sutter reached out AND THEN BT secured a much better version in Zadorov.

I can't see him drawing in much beyond Zadorov's suspensions. Zadorov loves the hitting. The NHL, notsomuch. He'll get suspended for being a really good checker.

It's the NHL. Surprised the refs let his "pop" on Podkolzin(?) let it go to a Flames goal.

That's the Zady we need.  A Dman that introduces himself properly. "POW". "Hi everyone".

Can't wait to see more of that. Love that we have a "I love hitting" Russian dman.

So far, he's making me forget about Phaneuf. Next up, if Zady can be Regher, I'm calling BINGO. Exacting intimidation, good D play.

We need more Russians.

Hope he reads this, seeing as he isn't from NA and probably knows how to laugh. Lucic wasn't enough. Ritchie became 1st line just to protect Johnny.

We've intimidated zero teams with aggression for too many years now. So everyone laughed at us last year as, "a team with no identity".

Constant. Nobody was afraid to get hit in our Dzone, Completely owned in the neutral zone.

Opposition didn't worry about us being tough with big checks.

Thank you for choosing Calgary. You'll be loved.

Some good perspective on Zaddy.

I really hated playing against him in the playoffs with COL.

Maybe I am overly hopeful, but I want him to be guarding the net a little more than we have seen in the past.

Too many times players go to the net, without any resistance.

Big Save was run over a lot.

Too many players in tight getting multiple whacks at the puck, and we can't clear the garbage picking players?

Tkachuk lives there in the O-zone, so we need somebody to get rid of his type in our zone.

Think Hyman...

He's going to be there playing with McDavid.

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

He isn't an offensive talent we know that, Also, his carrer best of plus +7 is higher than our top 2 dman last year. Looch has been invisible when it came to this element, Zad will hit not sure he engages in the dust ups, Ritchie gave it to the Oilers Kharkara when he head shot Kylington, outside of that we had nothing of any form of intimidation for years. Would I love a Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger on the back end sure, but we don't have that luxury, Plus Pretty sure he didn't get signed to ride the bench. The only unknown is we need more mobility on the back end so that brings up Valimaki or Kylington with Mackey on the outside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

He isn't an offensive talent we know that, Also, his carrer best of plus +7 is higher than our top 2 dman last year. Looch has been invisible when it came to this element, Zad will hit not sure he engages in the dust ups, Ritchie gave it to the Oilers Kharkara when he head shot Kylington, outside of that we had nothing of any form of intimidation for years. Would I love a Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger on the back end sure, but we don't have that luxury, Plus Pretty sure he didn't get signed to ride the bench. The only unknown is we need more mobility on the back end so that brings up Valimaki or Kylington with Mackey on the outside. 

But Zadorov is what Gudbranson aspires to be. Why are we giving him $2mil? $4 for Zad I understand, more than $750,000 for Gud?

He's gonna have to make us understand why. Nothing against the guy, but he has to be a lot better than he's ever been or I hope that we aren't afraid to bury him. The contract is almost like waiver protection.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But Zadorov is what Gudbranson aspires to be. Why are we giving him $2mil? $4 for Zad I understand, more than $750,000 for Gud?

He's gonna have to make us understand why. Nothing against the guy, but he has to be a lot better than he's ever been or I hope that we aren't afraid to bury him. The contract is almost like waiver protection.

I would say he is an expensive insurance policy.

Can send him down and use Kyl and still save $300+k of cap.

He's also a trade candidate come TDL, though he would have to be much better than he has been.

Catch 22; too good to trade or not good enough for teams to want him.

It's difficult to pin this on BT.

Sutter wanted him.

Owners likely told BT to sign him.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say he is an expensive insurance policy.

Can send him down and use Kyl and still save $300+k of cap.

He's also a trade candidate come TDL, though he would have to be much better than he has been.

Catch 22; too good to trade or not good enough for teams to want him.

It's difficult to pin this on BT.

Sutter wanted him.

Owners likely told BT to sign him.

I kinda feel bad for team's that wanna skate all over us again. It might not work out for them.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

it'll be fun. They'll all be penalties. Whatever. Kill them..

No doubt, though I expect the refs to protect the goalies too.

I am looking for Zadorov to frustrate players like that.

He's not as big as Chara, but he's no kitten either.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

i think that’s more on BT. I’d not have paid 1.9, but I guess that’s what got him here? I mean, it was a late signing so did he actually have that much interest in him? Maybe?

for me, it’s on BT.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think that’s more on BT. I’d not have paid 1.9, but I guess that’s what got him here? I mean, it was a late signing so did he actually have that much interest in him? Maybe?

for me, it’s on BT.

In most cases, a 29 year old D-man that just finished a contract averaging $4m cap does not sign a PTO and gets paid close to what he got.

Is he worth it?  That's a different story.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

In most cases, a 29 year old D-man that just finished a contract averaging $4m cap does not sign a PTO and gets paid close to what he got.

Is he worth it?  That's a different story.

i guess that’s a good excuse for all of his bad UFA signings then. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i guess that’s a good excuse for all of his bad UFA signings then. 

No, just saying it's kinda the going rate.

Kulikov, Tucker Poolman, Ryan Murray.

Hamonic $3m.

Lots closer to $1m.

Also, not saying I like it.

I say waive him and Stone.

If you keep him as a 7th ot 8th D just practicing, that would be fine with me.