Preseason Game 3: Kraken vs Flames

conundrumed

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Based on what I have seen to date, Kylington is further ahead than Valimaiki.  I get we try to protect Valimaki than waive Gubranson or Stone, as Valimaki is better than either. It just baffles my brain as to why this kid never gets a shot when he is surround by inferior players, that the problem with this club. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a problem that 3 coaches have come to this decision.

Sutter really can't be faulted yet, since he didn't have the luxury of evaluating player in season.

This is just pre-season, but already Kyl is making a strong case.

I'm no coach, but I have thoughts about how a player fits.

Rarely get to see that fit.

When we do and it works, we don't even stick for a game.

That's my beef.

my beef is that Valamaki hasn’t looked NHL ready for two years. We played him on the roster last year when we could’ve used Kylington full time last year and Valamaki would still be waiver eligible. Some will say Val is an NHL player, but I see nhl capable but AHL mistakes… he’s not going to get the benefit of the doubt in the NHL. Last year he plays because it’s where he gets more games because of injury history. But realistically might just keep getting worse with poor self esteem.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think your anger towards all aspects of BT's GM decisions is coloring every thing you post.

It wouldn't really matter who we signed because you are fixated on a rebuild.

Nothing else will do.

There's no hate, never was.   I have lots of family and friends that mean a lot to me in life who I would never ever want to be the Flames GM, myself included.   Just because somebody's not cut out to be an NHL GM doesn't mean they should be hated.

Anyway it sounds like we actually agree on this one point so we should mark that on the calendar ;)

I am quite sure we'll agree on a lot more once this team gets a direction.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

There's no hate, never was.   I have lots of family and friends that mean a lot to me in life who I would never ever want to be the Flames GM, myself included.   Just because somebody's not cut out to be an NHL GM doesn't mean they should be hated.

Anyway it sounds like we actually agree on this one point so we should mark that on the calendar ;)

I am quite sure we'll agree on a lot more once this team gets a direction.

I don’t usually like quoting you, as it seems like your mind is made up on most things, and you cleverly disguise your feelings in a way that is not demeaning but passive aggressively pushing your narrative.

That being said, whether you agree with the direction of the team or not, I believe the team does have a direction. I also think that BT has been trying to move this team in a different direction for awhile, and with any thing we do in life, when striving for greatness, there will always be missteps. The only difference between me and you, and an NHL GM is every mistake is magnified by Mainstream Media, hundreds of thousands of fans, social media, etc.... 

I also know that the overwhelming LS LW is a thorn in your side, but I believe that the character of the people he has been drafting and trading for is an attempt to create a culture shift. Last draft I thought Braden Schneider would’ve been a better pick than Zary, but I don’t think that Schneider moved the needle as far as the character traits they wanted. This is one example I can think of to show you what they’re thinking and how they’re trying to change the attitude, the character, and the culture of the team. And I know you’re going to post other examples of they’re failures, what I’m hoping as a true Flames Fan, support the players that fire you up and tolerate the ones that infuriate you. 

Rant done 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I don’t usually like quoting you, as it seems like your mind is made up on most things, and you cleverly disguise your feelings in a way that is not demeaning but passive aggressively pushing your narrative.

That being said, whether you agree with the direction of the team or not, I believe the team does have a direction. I also think that BT has been trying to move this team in a different direction for awhile, and with any thing we do in life, when striving for greatness, there will always be missteps. The only difference between me and you, and an NHL GM is every mistake is magnified by Mainstream Media, hundreds of thousands of fans, social media, etc.... 

I also know that the overwhelming LS LW is a thorn in your side, but I believe that the character of the people he has been drafting and trading for is an attempt to create a culture shift. Last draft I thought Braden Schneider would’ve been a better pick than Zary, but I don’t think that Schneider moved the needle as far as the character traits they wanted. This is one example I can think of to show you what they’re thinking and how they’re trying to change the attitude, the character, and the culture of the team. And I know you’re going to post other examples of they’re failures, what I’m hoping as a true Flames Fan, support the players that fire you up and tolerate the ones that infuriate you. 

Rant done 😉

I very rarely am infuriated by the players, in fact I would say I'm one of the last to blame players in this forum.   What I do is go against the grain with brutal honesty and that tends to take us to management and ownership issues.     In fact, very often (almost daily) on here I see someone getting mad at the players and saying they aren't trying hard enough or  they're coasting or not performing for the coach.    To be completely honest these are the people who need to look in the mirror as to how they support their team.   There are much bigger upstream issues at play and that is what interests me.     There isn't any hate, there isn't any infuriation.    There is just honesty, and in 2021 there is record low tolerance for such a thing.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I very rarely am infuriated by the players, in fact I would say I'm one of the last to blame players in this forum.   What I do is go against the grain with brutal honesty and that tends to take us to management and ownership issues.     In fact, very often (almost daily) on here I see someone getting mad at the players and saying they aren't trying hard enough or  they're coasting or not performing for the coach.    To be completely honest these are the people who need to look in the mirror as to how they support their team.   There are much bigger upstream issues at play and that is what interests me.     There isn't any hate, there isn't any infuriation.    There is just honesty, and in 2021 there is record low tolerance for such a thing.

If you truly believe that there are bigger issues with this team, I’m assuming that you are referring to ownership and they’re mandate to continuously push for playoff appearances. If that is the case and you have a fundamental difference with ownership, who directs management. What’s the point in advocating for a rebuild then, because fundamentally this team is not having that conversation. The fact that you believe a rebuild is the only path forward and a pre-requisite on how to build a competitive team then go cheer for the red wings because they align with your thinking. The flames are not that team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

If you truly believe that there are bigger issues with this team, I’m assuming that you are referring to ownership and they’re mandate to continuously push for playoff appearances. If that is the case and you have a fundamental difference with ownership, who directs management. What’s the point in advocating for a rebuild then, because fundamentally this team is not having that conversation. The fact that you believe a rebuild is the only path forward and a pre-requisite on how to build a competitive team then go cheer for the red wings because they align with your thinking. The flames are not that team. 

Hey, leave my Wings out of this.lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

ME! I am the one to blame! I just want them to skate. I love watching them play when they're skating and trying. It's fun to watch. I believe they can win if they try... For me, if they don't try, they can't win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

You know how stars break up and release a statement about how it was a mutual decision?

That's how rebuilds work lol.   They have nothing to do with what ownership wants, it's not their decision.   

Case in point,  the Flames "refuse to rebuild" yet have done it...Twice...since they won the cup.

Both times,  they announced an intention to rebuild only after there were no other options available. 

Like the Oilers did after Chris Pronger's wife ended what was a solid team.

The Red Wings mention is something you will want me to forget before this season is over lol

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

You know how stars break up and release a statement about how it was a mutual decision?

That's how rebuilds work lol.   They have nothing to do with what ownership wants, it's not their decision.   

Case in point,  the Flames "refuse to rebuild" yet have done it...Twice...since they won the cup.

Both times,  they announced an intention to rebuild only after there were no other options available. 

The Red Wings mention is something you will want me to forget before this season is over lol

I heard that Pronger had some extra curriculars. So his wife might have given an ultimatum of if you're here, I leave and if it's Cali I stay with you... I think that's how it went? or was it the other way around? 

• Like 1

Pius Suter, 3 assists. I don’t know Chicago, are you sure?

Stevie in the D. I’d have fired Holland than watch him go to TBag.

Easy in hindsight but always thought that. Like Sakic in Colorado. 

Only Yzerman was always a bit better than Sakic.

And the D is home.

When the news broke he’s “stepping down” from TBag gm, I knew in my heart he loves Detroit.

It is Hockeytown. Bar none.

Opponents like Chicago and St Loo fans don’t come rowdy. Unlike the many Flames/Oilers/Jets/Canucks games I’ve seen. Fistpumping aggressive and arrogant. Wow. I should take you to a Detroit game.

They talk hockey.

Don’t embarrass yourself being a yob.

It might not work out for you.

It takes all sorts.

I’ve been in 6 CDN arenas, counting Deadmonton and TML twice.

They don’t hold a candle to the D.

And it isn’t close.

16 hours ago, jjgallow said:

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I heard that Pronger had some extra curriculars. So his wife might have given an ultimatum of if you're here, I leave and if it's Cali I stay with you... I think that's how it went? or was it the other way around? 

Speaking of which, I just hung this 7' poster in the pain cave... if this isn't motivating, it's never going to happen for me.

Image-from-i-OS-1.jpgImage-from-i-OS-2.jpg

Love.

• Like 2