Preseason Game 3: Kraken vs Flames

conundrumed

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Mangiapane needs to shoot. Especially with Johnny. Get it at net man, then be fancy. Mony doesn't wait when Johnny finds him. Shoot.

Agreed.

I think we have two possible spots for Coleman nad Mangiapane.

With Gaudreau or with Tkachuk.

Both have their positives.

27 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Huska was saying this team is still reacting slow there still in summer mode not making the quick passes that are needed and that most are use to aswell

I think this is a polite way of Huska saying the teams we have lost to in the pre-season are smarter and quicker studies of the game.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Fun game. Kylinngton might be something. Duehr got Sutter’s ear I think.

Good fun, no one was hurt.

I thought this was the best Kylington has looked in quite some time.

If he shows like that again, he may make it hard on Sutter.

Poised, made only about one mistake that really had no impact negaitvely.

Liked his offensive instinct combined with Tanev's smarts.

For the forwards...

Of the guys due to go to the AHL, they should and leave Do-er here.

Let's get the camp trimmed down to the team and guys that have a chance.

Keep Kylington, Gawdin, Do-er, Ruzicka, Pospisil up.

Try them with top 6 players.

Decide from there.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Decide from there.

I like this idea.

Duehr looks legit.  Maybe he can be Ferland for Gaudreau-Monahan.  They could use a speed/size guy.  RHS RW.  Try it.

I'd like to see Pospisil on Backlund's wing to see if that works.

Gawdin is strictly 4th liner I think.

Ruzicka on RW with Tkachuk-Lindholm could be fun.  Ruzicka plays with his head up and has good passing/vision.  It could work.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I like this idea.

Duehr looks legit.  Maybe he can be Ferland for Gaudreau-Monahan.  They could use a speed/size guy.  RHS RW.  Try it.

Ruzicka on RW with Tkachuk-Lindholm could be fun.  Ruzicka plays with his head up and has good passing/vision.  It could work.

Coleman just missed on that beauty Tkachuk feed off the hop. Looked like the puck bounced on him a bit when he went to the backhand.

Really impressed with Duehr if that's him consistently. Can we just leave a scout with the Chicago Steel? That team seems like an NHL factory.

Nothing in Duehr's past jumps off the page at you, but damn he's an honest player. Big RW, who needs one of those? I don't think anyone had him in our top 20 prospects.lol

Typical.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I thought this was the best Kylington has looked in quite some time.

If he shows like that again, he may make it hard on Sutter.

Poised, made only about one mistake that really had no impact negaitvely.

Liked his offensive instinct combined with Tanev's smarts.

For the forwards...

Of the guys due to go to the AHL, they should and leave Do-er here.

Let's get the camp trimmed down to the team and guys that have a chance.

Decide from there.

I've always rooted for Kylington and at one time I thought he was one of our higher ceiling prospects.   While I no longer see him as a high ceiling prospect I do think he is just a great solid player and an important asset for the franchise.   Really hoping this is his year.   

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I like this idea.

If Duehr can be a legit top 6 guy with Money and Johnny. That can give you the option to push one of Mang or Coleman down to the third line with Backs. We instantly have a much better top 9 depth chart.

I would even suggest adding Ruzicka to the top 9 and having a 3a 3b line rather than a spot minute 4th line. Something like

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Coleman

Gaudreau - Monahan - Duehr

Mangiapane - Ruzicka - Dube

Lucic - Backlund - Pitlick

3a (energy) 3b (experience) 

Those are 4 lines you can roll pretty effectively.

Also I am so happy for Kylington, his skating is so good, hopefully he is a late bloomer and this is his year, partner him with Tanev and give him a chance to be a difference. Might be time to let Val marinate in the AHL for a bit.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

If Duehr can be a legit top 6 guy with Money and Johnny. That can give you the option to push one of Mang or Coleman down to the third line with Backs. We instantly have a much better top 9 depth chart.

I would even suggest adding Ruzicka to the top 9 and having a 3a 3b line rather than a spot minute 4th line. Something like

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Coleman

Gaudreau - Monahan - Duehr

Mangiapane - Ruzicka - Dube

Lucic - Backlund - Pitlick

3a (energy) 3b (experience) 

Those are 4 lines you can roll pretty effectively.

Also I am so happy for Kylington, his skating is so good, hopefully he is a late bloomer and this is his year, partner him with Tanev and give him a chance to be a difference. Might be time to let Val marinate in the AHL for a bit.

agreed with most of this, with regards to Duehr, it is a situation where he is simply not a top 6 player by ceiling, although he is doing well.  But.....we also don't have any top 6 RW players anyway.   So it could just work out the way you described.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

agreed with most of this, with regards to Duehr, it is a situation where he is simply not a top 6 player by ceiling, although he is doing well.  But.....we also don't have any top 6 RW players anyway.   So it could just work out the way you described.

Not sure we know exactly what Duehr is or isn't. What we do know is that he has had very little time up with the big club, is playing with players with way more NHL exposure and stands out on that line. He appears tenative at times as not trying to make a mistake, but he showed some great composure on that 2 on 1, is defensivly sound, can skate well and get in on the forecheck. IMHO as its preseason, toss him up the line up to 1st or 2nd line and see how he does. He will either blend in, standout or be overwhelmed but at least one could get a proper assement on where he is at.  If he isn't overwhelmed than we have something, he just needs more reps, no different than Mags or Dube. Start the season with him with Dube Backs and Duher. I really would like to see what he could do with JG and Mony. It would be the 1st time in awhile they had somone that could get in on the forecheck and create turnovers since Ferland. 

With Kylington, man would it be good if this guy could crack the roster. As Sutter said in his presser we need  a mobile guy on the backend, he could be it. I think they wanted that to be Valimaki but he needs to go down to the A and get some more seasoning. He did look better after he got his bell rung, but man he makes some major errors.  From the breif stint of Poirer in the Exibition games if he can fix his defensive coverage he could be a gem as well. Lets hope Kylington can keep his projection moving forawrd but last night was a great sign that maybe just maybe he has turned a corner. Fingers crossed

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Not sure we know exactly what Duehr is or isn't. What we do know is that he has had very little time up with the big club, is playing with players with way more NHL exposure and stands out on that line. He appears tenative at times as not trying to make a mistake, but he showed some great composure on that 2 on 1, is defensivly sound, can skate well and get in on the forecheck. IMHO as its preseason, toss him up the line up to 1st or 2nd line and see how he does. He will either blend in, standout or be overwhelmed but at least one could get a proper assement on where he is at.  If he isn't overwhelmed than we have something, he just needs more reps, no different than Mags or Dube. Start the season with him with Dube Backs and Duher. I really would like to see what he could do with JG and Mony. It would be the 1st time in awhile they had somone that could get in on the forecheck and create turnovers since Ferland. 

With Kylington, man would it be good if this guy could crack the roster. As Sutter said in his presser we need  a mobile guy on the backend, he could be it. I think they wanted that to be Valimaki but he needs to go down to the A and get some more seasoning. He did look better after he got his bell rung, but man he makes some major errors.  From the breif stint of Poirer in the Exibition games if he can fix his defensive coverage he could be a gem as well. Lets hope Kylington can keep his projection moving forawrd but last night was a great sign that maybe just maybe he has turned a corner. Fingers crossed

I have been rooting for Kylington for some time and have been frustrated with his "treatment" and his progression.  One is tied to the other in some ways.

It's not 100% a reflection on him (as much as Tanev) that he looked good last night.  The thing that is true is that he would benefit from a stay at home guy.

Unfortunately, Valimaki would need to go through waivers, so the AHL is out.  That leaves Kylington as the odd man out.

No way we waive Valimaki.

Perhaps we waive Stone or Gudbranson and keep Kylington as 7th D.

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Valimaki

Gudbranson

or 

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Zadorov-Kylington

Gudbranson

Unfortunately, at this point I can't see a useful usage for Gudbranson.  Perhaps he is better than I think.  If we use him, then we are stuck with Gudbranson with Valimaki or Zadorov.  Yikes.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have been rooting for Kylington for some time and have been frustrated with his "treatment" and his progression.  One is tied to the other in some ways.

It's not 100% a reflection on him (as much as Tanev) that he looked good last night.  The thing that is true is that he would benefit from a stay at home guy.

Unfortunately, Valimaki would need to go through waivers, so the AHL is out.  That leaves Kylington as the odd man out.

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Valimaki

Gudbranson

or 

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Zadorov-Kylington

Gudbranson

Unfortunately, at this point I can't see a useful usage for Gudbranson.  Perhaps he is better than I think.  If we use him, then we are stuck with Gudbranson with Valimaki or Zadorov.  Yikes.

I do not know how we describe creating a situation where Valimaki and Kylington can't both be in the NHL, without using the word "incompetence".

sorry lol.

I've been pretty vocal about our D being inadequate, but I never said that these guys weren't NHL ready.   

The team structure, and our acquisitions, however, dictates that they are in fact not ready.

The level of planning here is zero.

And that's just talking about our lower tier D, without even getting into the real problems.

Sigh.  Rant over.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Valimaki

Gudbranson

or 

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Zadorov-Kylington

Gudbranson

Based on what I have seen to date, Kylington is further ahead than Valimaiki.  I get we try to protect Valimaki than waive Gubranson or Stone, as Valimaki is better than either. It just baffles my brain as to why this kid never gets a shot when he is surround by inferior players, that the problem with this club. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I do not know how we describe creating a situation where Valimaki and Kylington can't both be in the NHL, without using the word "incompetence".

sorry lol.

I've been pretty vocal about our D being inadequate, but I never said that these guys weren't NHL ready.   

The team structure, and our acquisitions, however, dictates that they are in fact not ready.

The level of planning here is zero.

And that's just talking about our lower tier D, without even getting into the real problems.

Sigh.  Rant over.

I don't think too many are happy with Guddy signing.

I don't track his game by fancy stats nor do I have a coach like Dutter's insight.

Do I have a problem with Zadorov?  Nope.

I think that is a relatively smart trade/signing.

He was really good in COL, and I felt took a bit of a step back in CHI.

Saying that, we should have signed someone other than Guddy.

It was not a skill we were lacking IMHO.

He is depth for Tanev the same way Stone is; a shutdown D-man.

Unfortunately, neither is close to even carrying his water.

I would have preferred Vatanen or Savard or something else.

Anyone else.

I think your anger towards all aspects of BT's GM decisions is coloring every thing you post.

It wouldn't really matter who we signed because you are fixated on a rebuild.

Nothing else will do.

45 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Based on what I have seen to date, Kylington is further ahead than Valimaiki.  I get we try to protect Valimaki than waive Gubranson or Stone, as Valimaki is better than either. It just baffles my brain as to why this kid never gets a shot when he is surround by inferior players, that the problem with this club. 

It's a problem that 3 coaches have come to this decision.

Sutter really can't be faulted yet, since he didn't have the luxury of evaluating player in season.

This is just pre-season, but already Kyl is making a strong case.

I'm no coach, but I have thoughts about how a player fits.

Rarely get to see that fit.

When we do and it works, we don't even stick for a game.

That's my beef.