RFA'S

conundrumed

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

It's become somewhat normal.  Barzal was late this past season, 2 years ago Marner, Tkachuk, Rantanen and Point weren't signed until closer to/during camp.  

I understand Van's case rn with both Petterson and Hughes but....

Is this just a negotiation tactic the GM's always lose now?

Becoming the norm yes.  Without an arbitrations rights there really isn't a push to get the deal done so both sides can slow play it.  There seems to be a lot more pressure on the players/agents to make that 2nd contract count and in response teams are patient trying to get the value as low as they can get it. 

Don't think it's only the GMs at fault here. 

Carolina has a signed offer sheet with Kotkaniemi for $6.1 over one year.

Payback.

And KK wants to go there according to the GM.

Sounds like the amount is calculated to be close to the IR space they have.

They have Byron and Weber, so they might be able to match.

But it drives up the re-signing cost and put him in $6.1m to qualify next year.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:51 PM, conundrumed said:

I understand Van's case rn with both Petterson and Hughes but....

Is this just a negotiation tactic the GM's always lose now?

If my math is correct, then VAN has about $14-mil remaining to sign both Pettersson and Hughes once Ferland goes on LTIR.  But from what I understand, teams have to be cap compliant on Day 1 before players can go on LTIR and free cap space.  This means, VAN could already have both signed (to a gentleman's handshake) and once the cap hits begin for the season, then they will make the announcements.

But boy, $10-mil X 5-year offer sheet to Pettersson wouldn't leave much to sign Hughes if the Canucks matched.  That's,

2 First Round Picks

1 Second Round Pick

1 Third Round Pick

Worth it for Pettersson who has 90-point potential.  Likely better gamble than Eichel who has question marks around his surgery.  And quite frankly, it would be nice to see the Canucks match and then be in all sorts of problems getting Hughes signed to $7-mil.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If my math is correct, then VAN has about $14-mil remaining to sign both Pettersson and Hughes once Ferland goes on LTIR.  But from what I understand, teams have to be cap compliant on Day 1 before players can go on LTIR and free cap space.  This means, VAN could already have both signed (to a gentleman's handshake) and once the cap hits begin for the season, then they will make the announcements.

But boy, $10-mil X 5-year offer sheet to Pettersson wouldn't leave much to sign Hughes if the Canucks matched.  That's,

2 First Round Picks

1 Second Round Pick

1 Third Round Pick

Worth it for Pettersson who has 90-point potential.  Likely better gamble than Eichel who has question marks around his surgery.  And quite frankly, it would be nice to see the Canucks match and then be in all sorts of problems getting Hughes signed to $7-mil.

The only thing I Would support potentially losing first round picks for, though, is RFAing elite healthy NHLers under 23.   The kind of nonsense we just saw from the Hurricanes....   I would support that ( a more sensical version of it ).  It's an Insta-rebuild.    It blows your cap for 1-2 years, so....we'd still have to shed veterans just to make it work.    

Is that Petterson?  Not interested.   He's already exposed himself as a bit of a bad apple.

Quinn Hughes, Filip Hronek, Rasmus Dahlin,    THESE THREE.   We should be offer-sheeting All Three of them even if it means gutting our core and YES, even if it means losing a load of draft picks.

Drake Batherson and Brady Tkachuk, honorary mention. 

We should be offer-sheeting.    It's a loophole.    Young elite talent in the NHL gets a Satoshi Nakamoto deal with contracts.    Circumvent the discrepancy, avoid a rebuild, and everyone's happy.  Even me.     We wouldn't hesitate to do this with an aging 30 year old vet.  Just look at some of our garbage contracts with senior citizens.    The price on youth needs to be rethought....smart teams will.  It'll probably last for a few years until the NHL closes the loop.

p.s..

Yeah.   I said Brady Tkachuk.  That doesn't even make sense and I know it.   But I think that would wake his brother up.    We'd obviously have to lose Gaudreau, and Pelletier, and most of our other aspiring LW prospects for the next 5 years.  Possibly Coronato depending on which side he ends up on professionally.   Zary if he doesn't stick center.      But really who cares.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:41 AM, The_People1 said:

2 First Round Picks

1 Second Round Pick

1 Third Round Pick

Only if they want to maximize the benefits of LTIR. You can use LTIR to make you cap compliant on Day 1. 

While the Canucks could do this, it is cap circumvention so if they were caught they would likely be penalties involved. 

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-add-high-ceiling-talent-in-kotkaniemi/c-326078514

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Now there's entertainment.

So who won this?    I kind of have to think Montreal won it but I am not 100% sure.   Without a doubt, Kotkaniemi is under-rated.  Or, should I say.. WAS under-rated.

Will be interesting to see it play out.    If he breaks out in the next two years then we'll look at this differently.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-add-high-ceiling-talent-in-kotkaniemi/c-326078514

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Now there's entertainment.

So who won this?    I kind of have to think Montreal won it but I am not 100% sure.   Without a doubt, Kotkaniemi is under-rated.  Or, should I say.. WAS under-rated.

Will be interesting to see it play out.    If he breaks out in the next two years then we'll look at this differently.

Feels like assured mutual destruction here.  It's possible the only winner from this was the Coyotes.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Feels like assured mutual destruction here.  It's possible the only winner from this was the Coyotes.

I was thinking the same.  The trade of picks was confusing enough with picks going back and forth.

ARI seems to get something for a player they wanted to trade, and get okay picks in the process.

They will have enough picks to completely rebuild now.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:00 AM, The_People1 said:

I also feel you're most likely right.  UNLESS....this kid actually has his breakthrough year, then it could get debateable.

IMHO I wish we had been the Coyotes in this.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:00 AM, The_People1 said:

I agree, I like the Coyotes the most in this one so far. 

I do think the Habs swapping Kotkaniemi for Dvoarek is an upgrade for them, but it's not really a move the needle type of move either given where they are trending.