Flames at the IIHF championship

bosn111

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If we keep Gaudreau and Tkachuk, Mangiapane is at worst 2nd line LW.

But your point is well taken.

I would suggest that even if we traded Tkachuk, Mangiapane still should stick to 2LW.

We definitely should not have Mange playing with Backlund and Lucic.

Lucic shouldn’t be playing with Backlund either. I think you can have Backlund with Mangiapane, just don’t have Lucic there. But Lucic is a Sutter’s guy.

but I think Lucic is everything that is wrong with this team. They expect perfection from some players but not from others, that’s what causes friction. 

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We have Dube ready for 2nd line LW/RW despite what Sutter thinks.  So the left side could be Mangiapane and Dube 1/2.  We need help elsewhere like using Tkachuk to bring in Eichel and even Gaudreau to get us Reinhart C/RW (or equivalent).

It all depends what you have when you do those trades.

If you have Reinhart, Eichel, Lindholm, Dube, Mangiapane and Monahan left, that's not bad.

You can make two lines out of that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dube.  Perhaps he's one of those players that can excel on the wrong wing.  I would hate to think we do the same thing with him as we did with Bennett and that is force him to RW because he's one of our better players but we have no proper spot for him. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Lucic shouldn’t be playing with Backlund either. I think you can have Backlund with Mangiapane, just don’t have Lucic there. But Lucic is a Sutter’s guy.

but I think Lucic is everything that is wrong with this team. They expect perfection from some players but not from others, that’s what causes friction. 

We used to have 3M, Mangiapane, Mickael, and Matty.

Was a really good line, but we moved on from that to have Lindholm as a top C.  Fine.

I don't really think Lucic is there for protection, he just doesn't fit anywhere else.

That is for sure a problem.

My biggest problem with Lucic is his speed.

He makes mistakes sure, but his speed is what makes him a bad fit for the team.

Play him on the 4th line and we have a slow grinder line.

Play him on a shutdown line and we need to sacrifice a good player or two to make up for the speed.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

It all depends what you have when you do those trades.

If you have Reinhart, Eichel, Lindholm, Dube, Mangiapane and Monahan left, that's not bad.

You can make two lines out of that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dube.  Perhaps he's one of those players that can excel on the wrong wing.  I would hate to think we do the same thing with him as we did with Bennett and that is force him to RW because he's one of our better players but we have no proper spot for him. 

I'm assuming the Flames are married to Lucic - Backlund on 3rd line.  Lucic is too slow to do anything else and needs Backlund's speed.  I think Dube on 3rd line RW is a waste.

Move him up.  Bring in Eichel using Tkachuk.  We have Monahan on 2nd line and we can move Lindholm back to RW.  Or trade Monahan and use Lindholm as 2nd line C.  If we bring in Reinhart then he can play C too.

Lots of options all around as long as we bring in some RHS.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I'm assuming the Flames are married to Lucic - Backlund on 3rd line.  Lucic is too slow to do anything else and needs Backlund's speed.  I think Dube on 3rd line RW is a waste.

Move him up.  Bring in Eichel using Tkachuk.  We have Monahan on 2nd line and we can move Lindholm back to RW.  Or trade Monahan and use Lindholm as 2nd line C.  If we bring in Reinhart then he can play C too.

Lots of options all around as long as we bring in some RHS.

The 3rd line is a problem.

It could be a lot better and we are sorta wasting Backlund.

Might as well trade him and use Lucic on the 4th line.

Build a 3rd line with speed and agility.

Dube-Ruzicka-RW

or even Pelletier-Ruzicka-Dube.

That would be an exciting line and it doesn't bury our top talent on a 4th line.

Then you can adjust lines as their paly gets better.

I don't think Lucic deserves more ice than Dube, but I also think Dube has to be more consistent.

Building him with a line of good players may do that sooner.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Mangipane is on fire!!!!

2 goals as Canada win 4-2 agaisnt USA and in the Gold medal game.

Even Mike Johnson, noted Flames hater, has been talking about him.

This is great experience for him regardless. The open ice a bit easier for him to get space, but then again he's always in the middle of a dogpile.  His 2nd goal was textbook Mangiapane, and we've seen him score that many times.  Good for him.  An unlikely hero.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Big win for TC.

Not usually into these, but it was a great win for the team.

Start tourney 0-3, then beat US and Finns to win gold.

Mangiapane held off the score shhet, but he wins the MVP of the tourney.

Well deserved.

Yes until Mangipane arrived TC were 0-3.

Well deserving of the MVP award.

Should this be merged with the Mangiapane thread? It was the Mangiapane show afterall 😁

That said, who’s taking bets on him starting in the bottom six next year? I only half joke -  it’s clear he’s not a Sutter player...

15 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Should this be merged with the Mangiapane thread? It was the Mangiapane show afterall 😁

That said, who’s taking bets on him starting in the bottom six next year? I only half joke -  it’s clear he’s not a Sutter player...

Oh, I thnk he is very much a Sutter player.

Sutter used him to help Backlund and Lucic.

I guess where he plays depends on what we have let after the summer.

28 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Dude, Mangiapane is our only power forward.  Sad but seriously though.