2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm okay with Coronato all things considered.  I didn't want Chaz Lucious and didn't want Sillinger.  This might be the first time the Flames "reached" for a RHS (although a LW) but could possibly move to RW.  I don't mind this pick.

I said it earlier, at worst it's Zach Hyman. Except he isn't 29 and he won't be making 5.5

Another comp is a right handed Mangiapane. He will bring it every night. Production tends to translate and its hard to argue with 57 goals in 59 games. The USHL is an underrated league

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Why?  The top 9 pretty much went top 9.  The fun started at pick 10.

The order was a bit bizarre, but yes it got weird after 9.

Mactavish going 3rd, Guenther going 9, and that was because ARI traded for it.

Boucher, Rosen and Cossa going where they did.

Lambos going so late.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I said it earlier, at worst it's Zach Hyman. Except he isn't 29 and he won't be making 5.5

Another comp is a right handed Mangiapane. He will bring it every night. Production tends to translate and its hard to argue with 57 goals in 59 games. The USHL is an underrated league

Help me out with this one.

If we draft from the USHL, can the player play in th AHL before he turns 20?

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm okay with Coronato all things considered.  I didn't want Chaz Lucious and didn't want Sillinger.  This might be the first time the Flames "reached" for a RHS (although a LW) but could possibly move to RW.  I don't mind this pick.

As suspected, we would have done well to have a late first round pick.  there was still much available.

I like Coronato.  I'm a stats guy.  So, well, of course I like him.    And, generally, the first "not big" player to go in the first round, has one of the highest ceilings.  Am I okay with it?   I was furious we passed on Wallstedt.  Then, everyone did.   Now, just confused.

Wallstedt, I am scratching my head.    Is there something we didn't know?    Or did all those other teams not scout him because they didn't have a chance, and then they got scared ("someone must know something")....         

• Like 1

Just now, jjgallow said:

As suspected, we would have done well to have a late first round pick.  there was still much available.

I like Coronato.  I'm a stats guy.  So, well, of course I like him.    And, generally, the first "not big" player to go in the first round, has one of the highest ceilings.  Am I okay with it?   I was furious we passed on Wallstedt.  Then, everyone did.   Now, just confused.

Wallstedt, I am scratching my head.    Is there something we didn't know?    Or did all those other teams not scout him because they didn't have a chance, and then they got scared ("someone must know something")....         

You would have to think that Stevie Y was looking very closely.

Minny seems to be able to build goalies out of nothing, so I don't think they cared which one was available.

In 5 years, Minny will be playing boring hockey and winning defensive games.

Is it the goalie or the system?

I'm quite happy with our pick, and was the one I wanted.

Felt like I would be sad we picked him at 12, but now it seems like a smart spot to get him.

We didn't have an OEL to trade or A Jones, so a late 2nd was not in the cards.

Too close to the expansion draft to make that kind of trade for us.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You would have to think that Stevie Y was looking very closely.

Minny seems to be able to build goalies out of nothing, so I don't think they cared which one was available.

In 5 years, Minny will be playing boring hockey and winning defensive games.

Is it the goalie or the system?

I'm quite happy with our pick, and was the one I wanted.

Felt like I would be sad we picked him at 12, but now it seems like a smart spot to get him.

We didn't have an OEL to trade or A Jones, so a late 2nd was not in the cards.

Too close to the expansion draft to make that kind of trade for us.

If something meaningful happened behind the scenes that caused all these teams to pass, then...maybe...maybe...it's justifiable.

But if it was just fluff, or, if it was actually nothing and each team copying the next team, then....Minnie scored the pick of the draft.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some intriguing value left for Flames tomorrow. 

Olen Zellweger

Sasha Pastujov

Logan Stankoven

Red Savage

That group would be plan A. Daniel Chayka intriguing on D too. 

The way the board is shaping up, I think the Flames have a shot at a really good player in the 2nd. Likely one that you could argue is a 1st round talent. Personally, I'd love Stankoven. 

• Like 2

Just now, jjgallow said:

If something meaningful happened behind the scenes that caused all these teams to pass, then...maybe...maybe...it's justifiable.

But if it was just fluff, or, if it was actually nothing and each team copying the next team, then....Minnie scored the pick of the draft.

There has been some rumbings that maybe there are some character issues with Wallstedt, although nothing confirmed. Could explain his tumble down the board. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The way the board is shaping up, I think the Flames have a shot at a really good player in the 2nd. Likely one that you could argue is a 1st round talent. Personally, I'd love Stankoven. 

agreed. I like Stankoven and Pastujov the most. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would say our need for D is now, not where most of the avilable D line up making the NHL.

Forwards are easy to project into the league and team you expect to have in two years.

Not how you should build a team, but when you have certain needs now on D and F shortly, you plan accordingly. 

ya, I understand you there. It’s tough to project D without getting a top 5 pick, so I get the desire to always go for a forward. But then you get best case scenarios as Top4 if you refuse to draft in the 1st round. 

maybe JJ is right and this draft is deeper in D and we still catch an Andersson in the next round or two. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I understand you there. It’s tough to project D without getting a top 5 pick, so I get the desire to always go for a forward. But then you get best case scenarios as Top4 if you refuse to draft in the 1st round. 

maybe JJ is right and this draft is deeper in D and we still catch an Andersson in the next round or two. 

If you want a D in the 2nd, here's a few names to keep an eye on

Stanislav Svozil- Czech kid, played in the WJC, he may play next season in the WHL for Regina. Smooth skater.

Evan Nause- well rounded player, good skater, but not really sure what he is. Not quite a PP guy, but also not a shutdown guy, Jack of all trades.

Scott Morrow- He was an absolutely dominate high school player. Drawn some comparisons to John Carlson. Defensively, he's a project,

Ryan Ufko- Teammate of Coronato with the Steel. His player comp is Adam Fox... that's fun.. RHS committed to UMass, although I'd liken him more to NYR prospect Zach Jones.

I do think the Flames need to add at least a couple D to their prospect pool tomorrow. I like Kuznetsov and Poirier, but they need some more defensive depth in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some intriguing value left for Flames tomorrow. 

Olen Zellweger

Sasha Pastujov

Logan Stankoven

Red Savage

That group would be plan A. Daniel Chayka intriguing on D too. 

Seriously, there is a guy called Red Savage?  Perfect Flames name.

Some of these guys out of the USNDP; their little writeups seem good, but I can't tell how they stack up to USHL guys.

I do like the looks of Chayka too.

The way things are shaping up, there should be one or two guys that drop to us in the 2nd.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

From what I can tell, Wallstedt is a good technical first save goalie and squares up well to the angles but doesn't have that 6th sense.  He doesn't look around and anticipate the next few seconds into the future.  In other words, lacks elite and flash.  Cossa, in comparison, has more raw talents but needs to add bulk to his frame so he can bounce back to his feet faster.  Cossa's game may be a bit flasher because he has elite size and he looks around often.  And adding muscle vs adding 6th sense... Definitely easier to develop muscles than 6th sense.