2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

For comparison because people still think trading down last year was a colossal mistake (you guys know who you are lol).

Holland drops 2 and gets #90.  Treliving dropped 3 the first time and got #73 and two more spots to get #80.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Poor Holland.  Nobody available at 20 in the over 35 age group to draft.

Hardest thing for him is explaining to the media why he would pick a goalie.

So, he got out of the situation by trading to a team that likes goalies.

I believe he needed a pick to send to Toronto for Hyman's extra year.  He didn't have many to spare, and Toronto barely has any this year.

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I believe he needed a pick to send to Toronto for Hyman's extra year.  He didn't have many to spare, and Toronto barely has any this year.

That deal is deal I believe.  Not worth it to TO for a late round pick.

At best they were offering a crap pick.

I mean it's still a pick, but do they bother?

If you  like the darn player, sign him and trade one of your "stars".

Just now, travel_dude said:

That deal is deal I believe.  Not worth it to TO for a late round pick.

At best they were offering a crap pick.

I mean it's still a pick, but do they bother?

If you  like the darn player, sign him and trade one of your "stars".

I hope EDM holds off and waits until the 28th. Lose a year but up that AAV for Zach

It would have been nice for us to draft a D or one of those goalies. If JJ is right about the depth of D then it would have been a good time to go that route. 

it’s how I hoped we went coming in, or getting a high risk/reward player. 

Coronato has been a name a lot on here has tossed around leading up to the draft. It sounded like he’d go later in the first though. But hopefully he can turn into a guy that helps us win the cup. 

we just need a bit of a higher end D to do that, than what we have in the system now.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It would have been nice for us to draft a D or one of those goalies. If JJ is right about the depth of D then it would have been a good time to go that route. 

it’s how I hoped we went coming in, or getting a high risk/reward player. 

Coronato has been a name a lot on here has tossed around leading up to the draft. It sounded like he’d go later in the first though. But hopefully he can turn into a guy that helps us win the cup. 

we just need a bit of a higher end D to do that, than what we have in the system now.

I don’t think that D was available at pick 12/13. This draft was so tough because so many player didn’t get a full season under their belt. To his credit, Coronato took full advantage, scoring 57 goals in 59 games.

The Flames do need some high-end D, but the way the board went just didn’t allow  for it , maybe tomorrow though 

• Like 1

I would say our need for D is now, not where most of the avilable D line up making the NHL.

Forwards are easy to project into the league and team you expect to have in two years.

Not how you should build a team, but when you have certain needs now on D and F shortly, you plan accordingly. 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Passing Wallstedt is just an unforgiveable mistake.    

But

Coronato is short and stocky, not your typical small guy.  More talented than many picked above him.  I'd say he probably has the third highest ceiling in the draft.  So in that sense I am happy.   Just unfortunate that we passed up Wallstedt, who had the highest ceiling in the draft and was exactly what we needed.

Wow just saw some results.  Wallstedt wasn't even the first Goalie taken.  Surprised and not surprised.  Wallstedt was not as good as Askarov last season.  Cossa has better raw potential but Wallstedt is more NHL ready and refined.