2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Admittedly, I don't make a very good judge of draft picks before the draft.

But I am also quite cautious.

D are hard to predict winners just based on stats.

Noah Dobson had insane numbers in the Q in two of four years.

Yet he is still a few years from suggesting he is a prize, assuming he becomes one.

Worth more than Hamonic yes.

To put it in perspective, Dobson outscored every single top D prospect listed, even if I consider Power and Edvinsson a tier above.

Not a normal draft year I get.

If I'm looking at this correctly Dobson was a point per game player in the Q prior to his draft.  Which is...not unheard of.  Even in his own draft the defencemen drafted above him had higher numbers.   After the draft, yeah he produced like crazy.   I don't usually get too excited about point per game players in the Q.  Doesn't seem to have quite the same batting average.

Power, meanwhile, was a point per game player in the USHL (with better scoring touch).  Which in my mind is a way way bigger deal...and that wasn't even his draft year that was the prior year.   So, think...a defenceman more than a full year ahead of Dobson and that's just offensively, plus more size.  And then Edvinsson is literally playing pro.

Defencemen are hard to predict because they develop 1-2 years later, so it's like trying to draft the equivalent of a 17 year old forward (or worse).   But there are always gems that show themselves.   It's a lot harder to draft D without stats haha

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is Owen Power basically saying he doesn't want to play for the Buffalo Sabres?  Playing the "going back to college" card.  BUF wants to turn this thing around asap so this might turn them off from Power.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-no-1-pick-power-considering-michigan-return/c-325311100

"It's something I'd like to do, trying to get the true experience of playing college hockey."

Lol.   It really does sound that way.  Remember when you were a kid and you dreamed of getting the true experience of playing college hockey?  Neither do I.

All that said, if you break it down... Buffalo is NOT a bad place to play for IMHO for a young prospect and not nearly as tragic as some think it is.   But, he'd be competing directly with  Rasmus Dahlin for LHSD ice time.    That, if I were him, would be a legitimate issue.  Not only for him, but for Buffalo.

I don't believe that the player Buffalo needs is in this draft.   That game change you hope for with the first overall.   The forwards aren't there.  And the defensemen might be, but they're in the wrong position.    

Something has to give.   All I will say, is Buffalo would be a fantastic team for the Flames to do a deal with.  They both have what the other needs.

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

"It's something I'd like to do, trying to get the true experience of playing college hockey."

Lol.   It really does sound that way.  Remember when you were a kid and you dreamed of getting the true experience of playing college hockey?  Neither do I.

All that said, if you break it down... Buffalo is NOT a bad place to play for IMHO for a young prospect and not nearly as tragic as some think it is.   But, he'd be competing directly with  Rasmus Dahlin for LHSD ice time.    That, if I were him, would be a legitimate issue.  Not only for him, but for Buffalo.

I don't believe that the player Buffalo needs is in this draft.   That game change you hope for with the first overall.   The forwards aren't there.  And the defensemen might be, but they're in the wrong position.    

Something has to give.   All I will say, is Buffalo would be a fantastic team for the Flames to do a deal with.  They both have what the other needs.

maybe he wants the Girls gone Wild true college (hockey) experience. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is Owen Power basically saying he doesn't want to play for the Buffalo Sabres?  Playing the "going back to college" card.  BUF wants to turn this thing around asap so this might turn them off from Power.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-no-1-pick-power-considering-michigan-return/c-325311100

I don't know if there is a turn it around asap option in this draft.  Going back may be a good decision for all parties, Buffalo needs to take the player they feel will have the best ceiling, because no player this year is turning them around in year 1.  But him going back for one more year shouldn't be a concern, the likelihood that he's willing to go 3 more and lose out on millions is pretty low IMO.

It would be a smart move for Power to go back to Michigan. There’s nothing in the Rule book that says the top pick has to step right into the NHL, although some fans feel like the #1 pick has to play right away. No player has ever been hurt by spending an extra year developing. What hurts players is when they’ve been rushed into the lineup. The last two #1’s, Hughes and Lafreniere likely could have used some more time.

Buffalo won’t be good next year in all likelihood, so contractually it would help them with Power’s deal. Even if he was to sign in April after the collegiate season, he would burn a year but wouldn’t be offersheet eligible as an RFA. Not a bad spot for Buffalo

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see it that way either. If you don't want to be there why not just say you don't want to be there? 

I think Power should go back too. He plays the game with a lot of poise is smart on the ice, and has the physical capabilities to do it but I think he needs a lot of development on the offensive side of the game. Having played only 60 games the past 2 seasons he has more to learn and playing in a good program so this makes sense to me on multiple angles. If I were the Sabres I would want Power back to the NCAA.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be a smart move for Power to go back to Michigan. There’s nothing in the Rule book that says the top pick has to step right into the NHL, although some fans feel like the #1 pick has to play right away. No player has ever been hurt by spending an extra year developing. What hurts players is when they’ve been rushed into the lineup. The last two #1’s, Hughes and Lafreniere likely could have used some more time.

Buffalo won’t be good next year in all likelihood, so contractually it would help them with Power’s deal. Even if he was to sign in April after the collegiate season, he would burn a year but wouldn’t be offersheet eligible as an RFA. Not a bad spot for Buffalo

Agreed completely, if it's true for the last two forwards it's going to be true for defenceman first overall.   I do think he wants to avoid Buffalo.  That's just me.   But no matter where he goes a year of College will be good.  He should absolutely dominate in College before coming to the NHL, and for that he needs another year (no doubts that he will dominate).

I can see Buffalo dealing this pick though.   If they want to be competitive next year they'd deal it for a player.   If they still want to rebuild, they'd deal it to downgrade for a player that fits their needs better.  They are already full up on LD #1.   It will be interesting.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Agreed completely, if it's true for the last two forwards it's going to be true for defenceman first overall.   I do think he wants to avoid Buffalo.  That's just me.   But no matter where he goes a year of College will be good.  He should absolutely dominate in College before coming to the NHL, and for that he needs another year (no doubts that he will dominate).

I can see Buffalo dealing this pick though.   If they want to be competitive next year they'd deal it for a player.   If they still want to rebuild, they'd deal it to downgrade for a player that fits their needs better.  They are already full up on LD #1.   It will be interesting.

Buffalo is going to have to trade at minimum Eichel and Reinhart.

If they trade for players, then Power does them no good to try to win now.

Going that route would suggest they trade the top pick for a player and pick.

Dube + 12th for 1st?

Dube + Andersson + 12th for 1st?

If Buffalo is looking for a package of picks and prospects for Eichel and Reinhart, then they need to draft heavy this year and next.

I'm not really sure we have anything to trade them for the 1st overall.

Tkachuk would be an overpayment IMHO.

I think you may get the direction Buffalo is going with the first piece they trade.

While it makes sense to trade a player prior to the draft to get more picks, it really makes it harder to pull off.

If they want a bidding war for the 1st overall, announce it (at least to the GM's). 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Buffalo is going to have to trade at minimum Eichel and Reinhart.

If they trade for players, then Power does them no good to try to win now.

Going that route would suggest they trade the top pick for a player and pick.

Dube + 12th for 1st?

Dube + Andersson + 12th for 1st?

If Buffalo is looking for a package of picks and prospects for Eichel and Reinhart, then they need to draft heavy this year and next.

I'm not really sure we have anything to trade them for the 1st overall.

Tkachuk would be an overpayment IMHO.

I think you may get the direction Buffalo is going with the first piece they trade.

While it makes sense to trade a player prior to the draft to get more picks, it really makes it harder to pull off.

If they want a bidding war for the 1st overall, announce it (at least to the GM's). 

I don't know that Tkachuk is an overpayment.   In a redraft I think he goes 4-5th overall, maybe 3rd.  Definitely a good player.  In there somewhere with Debrincat and Chychrun.   We can say 3rd overall as I too believe he is capable of more.

Owen Powers versus Tkachuk is a super tough call.   But I would pull the trigger because we need his calibre at D, not left wing.

Anyway, I think we could get away with something like Monahan or Gaudreau plus a pick.

15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I don't know that Tkachuk is an overpayment.   In a redraft I think he goes 4-5th overall, maybe 3rd.  Definitely a good player.  In there somewhere with Debrincat and Chychrun.   We can say 3rd overall as I too believe he is capable of more.

Owen Powers versus Tkachuk is a super tough call.   But I would pull the trigger because we need his calibre at D, not left wing.

Anyway, I think we could get away with something like Monahan or Gaudreau plus a pick.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Tkachuk + some other pieces would get you Eichel.

But, I don't know that the 1st overall was ever traded.

Moving up is one thing, but I don't recall a 1st overall happening.

In general, I suspect that they would be better off drafting Power.

He may have a lot of value now, but you may get better value as he develops.

Or they could trade Dahlin.

Some suggest LA Kings is now the front runner to get Eichel because Kopitar and Doughty have expressed frustration with losing so adding Eichel by trading Byfield helps the Kings accelerate their rebuild.  What about this,

To Kings,

Eichel

#1 Overall (Power)

To Sabres,

Byfield

Turcotte

#8 Overall

For the Sabres, they get potentially two #1 Centers in Byfield and Turcotte.  This adds to Cozens and Jack Quinn on forward and it would go a long way to helping their rebuild.  The Sabres already have Dalhin as top LD and some are saying Samuelsson projects as a top pair LHS LD as well.  Sabres drafting Power is a waste.  They could trade down to the #8 spot and still be in range for either Wallstedt, or Kent Johnson or something like that.  Not bad at all.

As for the Kings, they get a Kopitar/Eichel 1/2 punch down the middle and instantly become a playoff contender.  They weren't far from making the playoffs this season with the emergence of players like Vilardi, Iafallo, Kempe, and Lemiuex.  On D they are thin but adding Power gives them hope and balance.  Cal Peterson looked ready to become a full time starter so the Kings could actually compete for #1 in a weak Pacific Division next season with this trade instead of waiting for Byfield and Turcotte to become impact players in 2/3 years.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Tkachuk + some other pieces would get you Eichel.

But, I don't know that the 1st overall was ever traded.

Moving up is one thing, but I don't recall a 1st overall happening.

In general, I suspect that they would be better off drafting Power.

He may have a lot of value now, but you may get better value as he develops.

Or they could trade Dahlin.

I hate to say it.... Eichel's injury to me is super high risk.   I'm not personally comfortable with it, I would rather the pick, or Dahlin.

I know Dahlin's not publicly up for sale and I know Power isn't up for sale but you would think they know math says one of those two has to be expendable.   Personally I'm a pretty big Dahlin fan and I think he's massively under-rated right now.   That, or...he flops.  lol.

You're right...actually....now that I think on it.  their best play is no play.  Keep Dahlin.   Keep Power.  Wait it out.  Sell high.    However...they probably don't want a situation with an unhappy college defenceman.   We know all about that.

I just want one or two Norris-level young defencemen.   I think we need them and I think we should pay whatever we have to pay to get them.  Buffalo has two of them or is about to.   Then again neither are RHS.   If Brandt Clarke fell to us, then we wouldn't have too do anything to clever and I'd be happy.  

In my dreams, we take care of the big 3 in this draft.   We grab a LHS from Buffalo in a trade (such as Dahlin), we pick up Clarke, and we somehow land Wallstedt or Cossa.   For a weak draft, it's pretty amazing that you can basically lock in the next 12+ years of your organization's future if you're willing to pay the price.   Most drafts don't even have that as an option.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I just want one or two Norris-level young defencemen.   I think we need them and I think we should pay whatever we have to pay to get them.  Buffalo has two of them or is about to.   Then again neither are RHS.   If Brandt Clarke fell to us, then we wouldn't have too do anything to clever and I'd be happy.  

In my dreams, we take care of the big 3 in this draft.   We grab a LHS from Buffalo in a trade (such as Dahlin), we pick up Clarke, and we somehow land Wallstedt or Cossa.   For a weak draft, it's pretty amazing that you can basically lock in the next 12+ years of your organization's future if you're willing to pay the price.   Most drafts don't even have that as an option.

WAKE UPPPPP.  Seriously though, it would be nice to even have one.  Unfortunately, we would have trouble developing a younger one, because the culture here doesn't allow for that.  We are already stifling Valimaki and have done the same with a decent talent in Ras.  Not saying there are or are not capable, just that we will probably not see the progression that we should.

I don't like the idea as much (not the biggest Reinhart fan), but if we targeted Dahlin and Reinhart, we might stand a better chance than an Eichel sweeps.

Monahan + Tkachuk for Reinhart + Dahlin.

They keep the 1st overall and don't get too much better this year.

Power starts next season.

It allows them to trade Eichel for futures.

Really, it's Monahan for Reinhart and Tkachuk for Dahlin.

More or less equal values for each.

We get back a RHS C for 2C and a 1D to play with Tanev or Ras.

3rd pairing is Gio-Valimaki, which should give Gio some protection from fast teams.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

WAKE UPPPPP.  Seriously though, it would be nice to even have one.  Unfortunately, we would have trouble developing a younger one, because the culture here doesn't allow for that.  We are already stifling Valimaki and have done the same with a decent talent in Ras.  Not saying there are or are not capable, just that we will probably not see the progression that we should.

I don't like the idea as much (not the biggest Reinhart fan), but if we targeted Dahlin and Reinhart, we might stand a better chance than an Eichel sweeps.

Monahan + Tkachuk for Reinhart + Dahlin.

They keep the 1st overall and don't get too much better this year.

Power starts next season.

It allows them to trade Eichel for futures.

We get back a RHS C for 2C and a 1D to play with Tanev or Ras.

3rd pairing is Gio-Valimaki, which should give Gio some protection from fast teams.

I see here you're going...I'm a bit more hardcore I want to seriously build up our D and worry about forwards in the Wright/Bedard drafts.

Whatever we do the issue that we can't develop anyone is..you know...an issue.   

You want to retool?   rebuild?   gradually improve?   Doesn't matter they all fail if you can't develop your players.

BT's not the guy to get that problem solved...

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Dahlin is going to cost Tkachuk + Zary + 12Overall and I don't even think BUF does it.  Dahlin is more valuable than Eichel considering age and Dahlin hasn't requested a trade.  You're talking Monahan + Klimchuk + Poirier couldn't trade up to draft Mackinnon that year.  Dahlin is a former #1 overall who hasn't disappointed and is proving to be a special player.  It's going to take something more special than Tkachuk to get him.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dahlin is going to cost Tkachuk + Zary + 12Overall and I don't even think BUF does it.  Dahlin is more valuable than Eichel considering age and Dahlin hasn't requested a trade.  You're talking Monahan + Klimchuk + Poirier couldn't trade up to draft Mackinnon that year.  Dahlin is a former #1 overall who hasn't disappointed and is proving to be a special player.  It's going to take something more special than Tkachuk to get him.

Maybe all true.

What I think it does though is provide two key pieces that Buffalo needs.

One is a replacement for Reinhart.

A RFA that they can't keep.

The other is a gritty winger that has been a problem attracting.

If they make that trade, maybe Eichel sees it as a positive step and would stay.

So, we might need to add to the deal.  Maybe the 12th overall is enough.

Buffalo suffers from being scored on.

The D can score all the goals in the world, but if not preventing them, they won't ever take a step forward.

-36 in a short season doesn't appear to be a great look.

Dahlin was pretty bad this year but I doubt it means the Sabres are open to dealing him. He was ok in his rookie year and from my reading it sounds like a lot of his struggles are due to Kruger and trying to force him into a role he is not suited for. 

Trading him at this point for anything less than a drastic overpay wouldn't really make sense. He and Power and very different dmen so if Power is the way they want to go I could see them being very excited about having both of them in the fold. 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

One thing to keep in mind.....had we traded Monahan + Klimchuk + Poirer, as much as it sounded like robbery at the time, we would have easily and cleanly won that trade.

Quality over Quantity.

Such may be true of the Dahlin trade you propose.  Although the 12th overall does make me twitch.   I'd try and work someone else in there instead of it.

You get what you pay for, usually.   Historically the teams that target the player they truely need, and do what it takes to get them, they typically do well.

The only exception to that was maybe the Lindros trade, and the Only reason was because nobody knew how good Forsberg was.

Dahlin would be a player you go all in for.   Power's pretty good too.

I'm not saying either one is available but...betwee Dahhlin having a crap year and Power being duplication...you never know.

This has been posted previously, https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

I got a fun result

12th- Chaz Lucius C/RW

Assuming nobody falls, I think the Flames are taking Lucius or Sillinger. Maybe Lambos is in the mix as well. I'm tired of this team never having RHS forwards so that pushed Lucius ahead of Sillinger and Lambos. Lucius will play next year at the University of Minnesota

44th- Scott Morrow RD

Dominant high school player. He could go anywhere between 20th-50th, the fact he played high school hockey may have him available at 44th. Committed to UMass for next season.

76th- Ryan Ufko RD

Ranked in the 40-90 range. Posted some big numbers for the Chicago Steel. Has drawn some comps to Adam Fox. Like Morrow, he's committed to UMass.

83rd- Tristan Broz C/LW

This one is a bit of a stretch, based on most boards. Broz is ranked anywhere from the 20s to 70s. Skilled player that has dips in his compete level at times. Also committed to Minnesota.

140th- Riley Kidney C/LW

Swiss army knife player, can do a bit of everything. Ranked in the 80-90 range so this one isn't realistic.

172nd- Jackson Blake RW

NHL bloodlines. Dominant high school player. Played 25 games with the Chicago Steel and put up 17pts. Heading to North Dakota next year. 

204th- Verner Miettinen C

I liked him at the U17 in Swift Current/Med Hat. Wasn't as good in the U18's this spring though. Hard to make a pick in the 7th in these things.

I don't really like these simulators, but they are fun. The first 3 picks are realistic-ish, the Broz one also has a chance. The Kidney and Blake likely won't be available. 

I didn't actively avoid CHL players, but the fact that 6 of the 7 picks are heading to College or in Europe, it buys the organization time. The timeline to sign CHL players is accelerated and in a year like this, it's hard to know what you have in your picks. With the college kids, you have up to 4 years to see. Also interesting to end up with 2 pairs of college teammates for 21/22. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

This has been posted previously, https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

I got a fun result

12th- Chaz Lucius C/RW

Assuming nobody falls, I think the Flames are taking Lucius or Sillinger. Maybe Lambos is in the mix as well. I'm tired of this team never having RHS forwards so that pushed Lucius ahead of Sillinger and Lambos. Lucius will play next year at the University of Minnesota

44th- Scott Morrow RD

Dominant high school player. He could go anywhere between 20th-50th, the fact he played high school hockey may have him available at 44th. Committed to UMass for next season.

76th- Ryan Ufko RD

Ranked in the 40-90 range. Posted some big numbers for the Chicago Steel. Has drawn some comps to Adam Fox. Like Morrow, he's committed to UMass.

83rd- Tristan Broz C/LW

This one is a bit of a stretch, based on most boards. Broz is ranked anywhere from the 20s to 70s. Skilled player that has dips in his compete level at times. Also committed to Minnesota.

140th- Riley Kidney C/LW

Swiss army knife player, can do a bit of everything. Ranked in the 80-90 range so this one isn't realistic.

172nd- Jackson Blake RW

NHL bloodlines. Dominant high school player. Played 25 games with the Chicago Steel and put up 17pts. Heading to North Dakota next year. 

204th- Verner Miettinen C

I liked him at the U17 in Swift Current/Med Hat. Wasn't as good in the U18's this spring though. Hard to make a pick in the 7th in these things.

I don't really like these simulators, but they are fun. The first 3 picks are realistic-ish, the Broz one also has a chance. The Kidney and Blake likely won't be available. 

I didn't actively avoid CHL players, but the fact that 6 of the 7 picks are heading to College or in Europe, it buys the organization time. The timeline to sign CHL players is accelerated and in a year like this, it's hard to know what you have in your picks. With the college kids, you have up to 4 years to see. Also interesting to end up with 2 pairs of college teammates for 21/22. 

I'd be happy with a lot of players on that list.  Morrow looks very strong, would be amazing if he was available.

I feel one of the big 4 D or 1 G will drop.      Teams can't resist drafting forwards, and there's a sense in this draft that Defencemen are plentiful.   How many teams will be like "ah yeah we'll just draft a great D with our 2nd pick".

When we look back on this draft, I think it will be more than the "big four".   I think Ceulemans is unbelievably under-rated.  I Would take him with our pick and not feel bad.   I wish we had a handful of first round picks in this draft honestly.

Lambos and Chayka also Very strong.   I have to be honest I think in a normal draft without covid and without this distribution, Ceulemans and Chayka and Lambos would all go top 10.    The "big 4 D" would all go top 3.

Will they all turn out?  No.   But when you compare these D to previous years it is just scary.    Obviously some diamonds in the rough on forward to and I think that's what most teams will gravitate to because they'll want immediate results and defence evalution is distorted this year.

I think our two 2 needs are an elite first round goalie (look at Price and Vasilevsky right now), and  a RHS D.

So of that I'd be happy with Brandt, Ceulemans, Wallsted, Cossa.   Those are my top 4 for the Flames, and I would love it if they made moves for them.

Admittedly Coronato is intriging but there will be interesting forwards in other drafts.

• Like 1

Will they all turn out?  No.   But when you compare these D to previous years it is just scary.    Obviously some diamonds in the rough on forward to and I think that's what most teams will gravitate to because they'll want immediate results and defence evalution is distorted this year.

I think our two 2 needs are an elite first round goalie (look at Price and Vasilevsky right now), and  a RHS D.

So of that I'd be happy with Brandt, Ceulemans, Wallsted, Cossa.   Those are my top 4 for the Flames, and I would love it if they made moves for them.

Admittedly Coronato is intriging but there will be interesting forwards in other drafts.

I know you are unbelievingly high...on the D and G in this draft.

Cossa may be a great pick, in the latter 10 of the 1st round.

Coronato may just be the guy that we go for, considering how the forwards will otherwise place.

I doubt Wallstedt makes it to 12.

I think we will (should) be happy with the selection, as long as it's based on evidence and not viewing in some high school.

If we go for a D, I hope we are targeting a RD, as the LD tend to actually be available in trade.

By the time a RD panned out, he would be succession for Tanev.

Yes, we need another RD to round out the 6, but I hope to not just get a bottom pairing D in this draft. 

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know you are unbelievingly high...on the D and G in this draft.

Cossa may be a great pick, in the latter 10 of the 1st round.

Coronato may just be the guy that we go for, considering how the forwards will otherwise place.

I think we will (should) be happy with the selection, as long as it's based on evidence and not viewing in some high school.

If we go for a D, I hope we are targeting a RD, as the LD tend to actually be available in trade.

By the time a RD panned out, he would be succession for Tanev.

Yes, we need another RD to round out the 6, but I hope to not just get a bottom pairing D in this draft. 

I can see a case for Coronato.  A better case with a 2nd first.  But like you say, you want more than bottom pairing D.   So ...that's what the 12th is for.

We Should be happy, yes...there will be elite talent at 12th.     But...will we?

You just know they're somehow going to draft a LW lol.   Joking not joking.

I can see a case for Coronato.  A better case with a 2nd first.  But like you say, you want more than bottom pairing D.   So ...that's what the 12th is for.

We Should be happy, yes...there will be elite talent at 12th.     But...will we?

You just know they're somehow going to draft a LW lol.   Joking not joking.

I think what I was saying was that I want to avoid picking up a bottom pairing D ceiling player.

Having them on the 3rd pairing in the appropriate number of years is not the issue.

I find it hard to judge what other teams will take.

The best available D will go before then too.

Is that 2, 4, or 6?

Opinions vary.

I guess what makes this even more interesting is that there is maybe one player that could play next year.

As such, I think you see a lot less GM's looking for a quick fix.