2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tinfoil hat people would tell you that he lines up the lotto winners based on the arena status.

McDavid for the Oil Drop.

Crosby for the Igloo replacement (Americans sure loved the term Eskimo).

NYR to pay for the MSG reno.

We should be looking for unprotected lotto picks in 22 and 23.

We may not be otherwise fortunate enough to get a lotto pick ourselves.

I've got that tinfoil hat.   The NHL hasn't exactly made a big effort to make the lotto look legit.

We Absolutely should.     Really all you need is some deals with teams that are aging but think the worst is behind them.   Other than dealing with ourselves lol.   To be honest there are a good handful in that group and there are a good number of GMs who will make bad decisions for immediate results.

I like this draft.  I love the next draft.

2023?   I don't know there has ever been a draft like this in our lifetime.

Conor Bedard is literally matching and beating McDavid's records, and there are a growing number of people who don't even think he's the best player in that draft

I've never seen any draft remotely like that.

So...just to clarify, #2 is also lottery based?  I don't follow that stuff.   Because if not, teams Will tank that year for #2.   I'm expecting us to be right in that bottom 5.  I mean....it's so good....I might not even want to pick a goalie first

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I like this draft.  I love the next draft.

2023?   I don't know there has ever been a draft like this in our lifetime.

Well hey, with some luck, BT and Sutter will be let go in two years after their contracts expire and the Flames will finally go full retool mode...

(...But for the 2024 draft)

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Well hey, with some luck, BT and Sutter will be let go in two years after their contracts expire and the Flames will finally go full retool mode...

(...But for the 2024 draft)

tenor.gif

lol right?

I'm betting/hoping on much sooner.   The thing about Flames fans is they've been placated to accept a very lower bar.  Make the playoffs, lose, and they're more or less content.

But

When the bar is set low, the the Flames smash their head into it,

Flames fans turn on their team as good as any City I can think of.  They've done it before and they'll do it again.   And rightfully  so with a bar that low.   When the fans turn, things will change.    imho.      Now if Treliving sells all our prospects and picks for cheap and he does some cap-killing FA deals, he could maybe hang on for another year or two I guess but even then I don't think it will change the timeline much.

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No idea who those players are other than Sillinger. 

Assuming we stay at 13th, it seems Sillinger, McTavish, or Lucius will be available to us... And, the choice will be made for us by our turn.  It's whoever of the 3 are left.  Based on very little youtube highlights, I would rank them,

1. Sillinger - most dynamic and best skater of the 3.  Can carry the puck up ice and carry the play.

2. McTavish - slowest skater of the 3 but has a great shot.  Sneaky shooter and smart around the net.

3. Lucius - looks very vanilla and safe.  No major holes but I question the upside as his highlight packages didn't flash anything special about him.

From everything I have read and seen, skating is the issue for all 3, but all 3 have improved this year, it's hard to tell exactly how much as none of them have played a ton. From I saw of McTavish at the U18's skating wasn't an issue. All 3 are known for their ability to score, I think Lucius might have the best arsenal as far goal scoring goes. For me McTavish is far and away the most well rounded, Sillinger is most offensively gifted and Lucius is more of a wild card.

I would take McTavish over the other two, but I would be happy getting any of them.

McTavish reminds me of a bigger Bo Horvat.

Would have been nice to win, but this is a tough year to win the lotto. There's no clear-cut guy and it's been such a tough year of scouting. It's likely Power/Beniers or Eklund, but you could make a guess for a handful of guys to go #1. I'd lean Power, because like Byfield last year, the tools he has are so rare. 

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would have been nice to win, but this is a tough year to win the lotto. There's no clear-cut guy and it's been such a tough year of scouting. It's likely Power/Beniers or Eklund, but you could make a guess for a handful of guys to go #1. I'd lean Power, because like Byfield last year, the tools he has are so rare. 

Final season results had no impact on our placement.

I didn't agree with Sutter's strategy, but that's why he was brought in.

Well, except for playing injured players.

I think we get a decent pick this year.

If we fail to make the playoffs next season (doubt it), then we have a true #1 to win a lotto for.

Saying that I would be happy with any of that top 3 you mentioned.

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

From everything I have read and seen, skating is the issue for all 3, but all 3 have improved this year, it's hard to tell exactly how much as none of them have played a ton. From I saw of McTavish at the U18's skating wasn't an issue. All 3 are known for their ability to score, I think Lucius might have the best arsenal as far goal scoring goes. For me McTavish is far and away the most well rounded, Sillinger is most offensively gifted and Lucius is more of a wild card.

I would take McTavish over the other two, but I would be happy getting any of them.

McTavish reminds me of a bigger Bo Horvat.

Yes, I was going to say McTavish reminds me of Sean Monahan.  He's got the size and the elite shot but speed and skating needs development.  I'll take a Monahan/Horvat at 12th overall.  

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There are guys like Brandt who could go first overall and could also get picked by us at 13th, it's true

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes, I was going to say McTavish reminds me of Sean Monahan.  He's got the size and the elite shot but speed and skating needs development.  I'll take a Monahan/Horvat at 12th overall.  

See I think Horvat and McTavish are significantly better skaters than Monahan. Monahan does a lot of things well, skating isn't one of them, I think he is near the bottom of the league in terms of his skating. McTavish is closer to middle of the pack as far as skating.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

See I think Horvat and McTavish are significantly better skaters than Monahan. Monahan does a lot of things well, skating isn't one of them, I think he is near the bottom of the league in terms of his skating. McTavish is closer to middle of the pack as far as skating.

That sounds good cause Horvat does have decent speed for a heavier guy.  

However, based on Central Scouting final rankings, McTavish is ranked so high that I must think many teams would feel similar.  He's probably gone by 12th.  I think 8, 9, or 10 would be the spot to take McTavish.

Maybe this is the year they trade up. They bank on the team having a bounce back year. They trade next years first for a high pick this year thinking they’ll make the playoffs next year. The other teams are up in the air about the quality of this years draft... 

but then again, I still think they trade the 1st rounder. They want to add to the roster and go for it one last time with this core.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Tinfoil hat people would tell you that he lines up the lotto winners based on the arena status.

McDavid for the Oil Drop.

Crosby for the Igloo replacement (Americans sure loved the term Eskimo).

NYR to pay for the MSG reno.

We should be looking for unprotected lotto picks in 22 and 23.

We may not be otherwise fortunate enough to get a lotto pick ourselves.

https://arenadigest.com/2021/05/11/climate-pledge-arena-cost-now-1-15b/

https://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres-win-no-1-pick-expansion-kraken-no-2-in-nhl-draft-lottery

So now we know what a reno gets you

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I tend to see a link between arenas and #1.

Happens far too frequently to be just a coincidence.

But, they supposedly are audited for the process.

Cuz, nothing bad ever happens when things are audited.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That sounds good cause Horvat does have decent speed for a heavier guy.  

However, based on Central Scouting final rankings, McTavish is ranked so high that I must think many teams would feel similar.  He's probably gone by 12th.  I think 8, 9, or 10 would be the spot to take McTavish.

I don't know why I have this feeling that Lysell will easily drop to us and we pick him.

Maybe because it seems like the best D will get picked early and even the best goalie will go by 9.

All we can hope for is that VAN picks another loser and a good player drops to us.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to see a link between arenas and #1.

Happens far too frequently to be just a coincidence.

But, they supposedly are audited for the process.

Cuz, nothing bad ever happens when things are audited.

The great thing about audits is they happen after the event.  This offers such assurance that no controls need to be put in place when the event happens. lol.

• Like 1

Michigan Mock: Button has Power to Sabres; Beniers to Seattle, Johnson a Canuck - TSN.ca

Button's mock draft from yesterday has us taking Cole Sillinger at 12, McTavish going to Ottawa at 10 and Chaz Lucius going to the Rangers at 15.

He has Sillinger's comparable as Logan Couture. McTavish's comparable is Ryan O'Reilly and Lucius's comparable is Brock Nelson. I mean I don't think he is that far off with those comparable.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Michigan Mock: Button has Power to Sabres; Beniers to Seattle, Johnson a Canuck - TSN.ca

Button's mock draft from yesterday has us taking Cole Sillinger at 12, McTavish going to Ottawa at 10 and Chaz Lucius going to the Rangers at 15.

He has Sillinger's comparable as Logan Couture. McTavish's comparable is Ryan O'Reilly and Lucius's comparable is Brock Nelson. I mean I don't think he is that far off with those comparable.

I think he's in the right ballpark. I personally don't see the hockey sense in McTavish that puts him in that camp so that's the only one I'd argue but I do know he likes McTavish were i'm not seeing as much there as others. 

Outside of someone falling I think Sillinger probably lines up as the best value pick for the Flames at 12. High, high upside there and the more I watch the more I like. I still really like Lucius too but Sillinger's got more upside IMO and a better chance at sticking at center. 

I think Lucius has a better shot than Nelson so I could see him producing more (i see more Elias Lindholm) but that's splitting hairs a bit. I get the caliber of player he's putting him in. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think he's in the right ballpark. I personally don't see the hockey sense in McTavish that puts him in that camp so that's the only one I'd argue but I do know he likes McTavish were i'm not seeing as much there as others. 

Outside of someone falling I think Sillinger probably lines up as the best value pick for the Flames at 12. High, high upside there and the more I watch the more I like. I still really like Lucius too but Sillinger's got more upside IMO and a better chance at sticking at center. 

Yeah I am much higher on McTavish, than you, I am not sure if he will be as good as O'Reilly, but for me he does have that well rounded game all ready, I said Bo Horvat earlier, who IMO is a O'Reilly lite.

I like Sillinger and think he can very good offensively he does have a few glaring holes. I agree, at 12 he is a good pick.