Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it is a lack of options. Leivo has been like everyone else. Look decent one game and horrible in 2-3. Sometimes you notice him and you think, hey, maybe he coulda been a somebody! But then let’s you down.

People go on about Bennett not getting a chance, yet he's had the most icetime with 13-23.

Over 80 minutes, compared to Leivo's 30.

Leivo hasn't done a lot, but then again Dube has done not much with far more minutes per game.

I think the problem is too many options but the coach can't match styles very well.

About the most consistent line is Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane, but how is that even working?  

Maybe that line with another LW is as good or better?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Watching Brodie own the Oiler forwards reminds me of what we lst and what we kept from that pairing.

ya, Brodie is excellent at that but we got to used to seeing the accidental giveaways that we got blinded by all of the good stuff. 

I don’t think Andersson is a match with Giordano and it was evident last year or the year before when they got to play together. I think they’re too similar maybe? Somehow they clash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

ya, Brodie is excellent at that but we got to used to seeing the accidental giveaways that we got blinded by all of the good stuff. 

I don’t think Andersson is a match with Giordano and it was evident last year or the year before when they got to play together. I think they’re too similar maybe? Somehow they clash. 

I didn't understand why we went away from the Hanifin-Ras pairing just because we got Tanev.

Tanev looks slow, but no more than Ras.

Or you use Valimaki with Gio.

Or Kylington with Gio.

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Gio-Kylington

It should not matter how you number the pairs.  Gio and Tanev get PK minutes.  Valimaki and Ras should get the PP minutes.  I would actually swap Valimali with Ras for PP units.  

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I didn't understand why we went away from the Hanifin-Ras pairing just because we got Tanev.

Tanev looks slow, but no more than Ras.

Or you use Valimaki with Gio.

Or Kylington with Gio.

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Gio-Kylington

It should not matter how you number the pairs.  Gio and Tanev get PK minutes.  Valimaki and Ras should get the PP minutes.  I would actually swap Valimali with Ras for PP units.  

This is a very good 3 line defence. Kylington skates like Brodie which can account for for gaffes on the ice committed by both himself and Gio. I have always wondered what he did to never get a legit chance? 

Not sure what the lines and pairings look like tonight, but Bennett, Nesterov and Simon scratched.

Rittich to start the game.

Look like the projected lines are:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Leivo

Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane

Nordstrom-Ryan-Ritchie

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Kylington

Rittich

I think its necessary to point out that Hanifin - Tanev have legitimately been one of the best d pairings in the NHL this season. Criticism of putting them together is pretty miss placed IMO. 

I'm pretty surprised that Gio/Andersson pairing hasn't worked out as prior to this year it was a very good pairing when they played together. My thoughts are it's a combination of 2 things, first being Gio is on the decline and not as reliable as he once was but 2nd the overal team game. Andersson is at his best when he is control of the play, leading the play and being front and center. The downside to his style is you need to cover for him and right now the Flames do not support well at all. 

If I were the coach i would run

Valimaki - Andersson

hanifin - Tanev

Gio - Kyllngton

at 5 on 5 and still use Gio as a PK guy. Roll all 3 pairs

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think its necessary to point out that Hanifin - Tanev have legitimately been one of the best d pairings in the NHL this season. Criticism of putting them together is pretty miss placed IMO. 

I'm pretty surprised that Gio/Andersson pairing hasn't worked out as prior to this year it was a very good pairing when they played together. My thoughts are it's a combination of 2 things, first being Gio is on the decline and not as reliable as he once was but 2nd the overal team game. Andersson is at his best when he is control of the play, leading the play and being front and center. The downside to his style is you need to cover for him and right now the Flames do not support well at all. 

Valimaki - Andersson

hanifin - Tanev

Gio - Kyllngton

Haha, I was almost saying that exactly.  

I was also not criticizing Hanifin-Tanev as much as I was suggesting that Hanifin-Ras looked pretty good before.

Gio-Kylington sounds like a demotion, but it's really blending style with style.

Overall, I suspect either your or my suggestion would do more for this team than leaving it as is.

I think Ras tends to take a backseat to Gio, which is not his best look.

Gio-Kylington would force quicker decisions from that pair and probably some better breakouts.

At least you know that Kylington is more like to skate with some speed.

His decision making is sometimes questionable, but his ability to recover is good.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure what the lines and pairings look like tonight, but Bennett, Nesterov and Simon scratched.

Rittich to start the game.

Look like the projected lines are:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Leivo

Nordstrom-Ryan-Ritchie

Gio-Ras

Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Kylington

Rittich

I think if we are changing, why not go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuck, Backlund, Mangiapane

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

Nordstrom, Gawdin, Ritchie? 

Let's keep some continuity even if we are removing some out? 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think if we are changing, why not go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuck, Backlund, Mangiapane

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

Nordstrom, Gawdin, Ritchie? 

Let's keep some continuity even if we are removing some out? 

Gawdin on the farm, currently on the road.

It's not that I have any problem with your lines, but it's 1st game back for Ryan.

If we are in EDM, we will have McD or Draisaitl against the 4th line on any given shift.

Honestly, I don't know how to line up the lines for that game.

Watching Brodie school McDavid, I am more interested in seeing a change on the D.

We lost hard to them, so having 4 NHL capable C's available might be the best thing for us.

Our last two losses to EDM, Lucic was -5 and Bennett -4.

Only one game was a blowout.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Gawdin on the farm, currently on the road.

It's not that I have any problem with your lines, but it's 1st game back for Ryan.

If we are in EDM, we will have McD or Draisaitl against the 4th line on any given shift.

Honestly, I don't know how to line up the lines for that game.

Watching Brodie school McDavid, I am more interested in seeing a change on the D.

We lost hard to them, so having 4 NHL capable C's available might be the best thing for us.

Our last two losses to EDM, Lucic was -5 and Bennett -4.

Only one game was a blowout.

Some good points there. I dunno what the thoughts are. I think this could be the game to play Ryan on 3rd though. Usually players have a good first game and then rust settles in in the 2nd game. 

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think it will be Bennett that will get the biggest bump, I think we will see Stone or Petrovic start to get minutes on the 3rd pairing. Sutter likes to have heavy defense, and pair them with mobile guys.

Well, if he was watching last night it was Kylington that laid the best hit.

He may well start Stone, but will see the negatives pretty quickly

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

Valimaki - Andersson

hanifin - Tanev

Gio - Kyllngton

Thank you! I have been after this d set up since the season started...it makes perfect sense for 2 reasons:

1. Gio is and has slowed down, he’s still serviceable but clearly can’t do the heavy lifting anymore...it could also be Gio benefitted as much as Brodie did from the duo...in any event Gio is no spring chicken but I definitely think he’s still a solid 3rd pair...least till we can replace him, and speaking of...

2. Valimaki and Anderson are clearly the future but there is absolutely no reason to keep them from developing as a pair...start now and things may be a bit tough on the odd game but come next year...omg look out! 

imagine what’s better than having a pair of d like the Gio/Brodie days? Having two pair like that:

valimaki/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev 

then I’m not too sure but I’m kinda of the thought process keep Gio for the term on the third pair to bring Kylington along

Gio/Kylington 

that’s not bad and there is an added plus to all this, say Gio and Kylington start to come along...in 2 years we would only need to replace 1 D in Gio also another win/win situation 

Sutter get it done please! 

He the perfect coach to see this potential and it’s definitely something that would fit his d first system!

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, if he was watching last night it was Kylington that laid the best hit.

He may well start Stone, but will see the negatives pretty quickly

I get a feeling Kylington may get a longer look under Sutter and I hope so, he’s got potential to be a very good 3rd pairing d and he did rather well last year when he was used...pair him with Gio on the their pairing and watch home develop into a really good 3rd who can fill in without issue on any of the pairs 

39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I get a feeling Kylington may get a longer look under Sutter and I hope so, he’s got potential to be a very good 3rd pairing d and he did rather well last year when he was used...pair him with Gio on the their pairing and watch home develop into a really good 3rd who can fill in without issue on any of the pairs 

It could shake out that way, but I'm not holding my breath.  I think there will be a lot of work that Kylington has to go through to be an everyday D-man.  He's got the wheels.  He knows how to defend.  He can hit.  He can generate offense.  Where he fails is in making decisions quickly.  He doesn't always read the situation correctly.  I don't give him too much grief for the pinch he made, other than making the stick sweep instead of getting back.  He made a decision then panicked.  I think he could have recovered and disrupted the play after a short time.  He was on his off side, so he had to be a bit more careful with the pinch.

Again, I'm not saying he did anything different than most of the D-men would once per game.  Just that he needs to fix those to gain more trust.  He had very little in the past, so I hope they work on it and not use it as a reason to bench a player.     

Sutter seems to be in favor of having depth down the middle.  With Lindholm, Monahan, Backlund, Ryan and Bennett available, I wonder if he looks at the RW depth and goes back to a more balanced top 6.  We've seen may two games that the old 3M and Gaterade lines were left intact.  We haven't been scoring a lot 5v5.  Does Sutter look at Backlund and feel he is being wasted at even strength?  Is center depth the prime motive if it's not getting the job done?  Is Bennett a C or a LW?

If we make no changes to who the C's are, I would like to see a change to the lineup to balance them out a bit more.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Dube

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Leivo

Bennett-Ryan-Ritchie

If Sutter prefers a better wing complement, then I could see them returning to previous deplayments.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Leivo-Ryan-Ritchie

Maybe swap Ryan and Bennett to balance out the RHS's.  Who knows.  Sticking with what we have may not be the best approach.

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hard to get a read on the lines with Bennett and Backlund out.

That's a little weird.  Bennett played in the final minutes of the last game against Ottawa.  Signal trade rumors I guess.  😄

I get that Nordstrom is out and Backlund out for family, but Bennett missing is strange.  

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The only thing I read into that is that Brett Ritchie is going to be a regular here now. I'm sure that was likely obvious anyway but this would be a strong signal for me. 

Sucks for Leivo

I don't even read too much into practice #1.  Other than watching the team play a few games with some of those players in the lineup, I wouldn't expect him to have a good handle on where a player lines up.  This would initially be a Huska call, and it's up to the players to change opinions.  May even take a couple of games to tweak the lineup to be a Sutter preferred one.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The only thing I read into that is that Brett Ritchie is going to be a regular here now. I'm sure that was likely obvious anyway but this would be a strong signal for me. 

Sucks for Leivo

More like Leivo sucks

leivo 20 gp 1g 2a -4 sh% 3.4

Ritchie 5 gp 1g 1a -1 sh% 33

also cant find hits but pretty sure ritchie has more hits in 5 than Leivo in 20. 
I haven't liked either leivo or especially simone.   
glad to see Ritchie get a chance.  

8 minutes ago, Radster said:

More like Leivo sucks

leivo 20 gp 1g 2a -4 sh% 3.4

Ritchie 5 gp 1g 1a -1 sh% 33

also cant find hits but pretty sure ritchie has more hits in 5 than Leivo in 20. 
I haven't liked either leivo or especially simone.   
glad to see Ritchie get a chance.  

One of those is not like the other.....

I think Leivo has played well but been very snake bitten personally.