Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

IMO, this team isn't firing the coach and they aren't making major trades, it's time to start putting more youngsters into the lineup.

Put some pressure on the vets. 

Let's roll with Kylington in the lineup for awhile. Let's give Gawdin more minutes. Let's see Phillips or Philp get a call up. Philp has looked solid in his two AHL games so far.

Guys like Nordstrom, Simon, Ritchie are nice depth to have when you are rolling but they aren't going to give you much of a spark when you aren't.

• Like 1

This would be my lineup, when Ryan returns

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett

Lucic-Backlund-Dube

Philp-Ryan-Gawdin

Hanifin-Tanev

Giordano-Andersson

Kylington-Valimaki

They won't do it because they love Nordstrom's PK ability. In this scenario my 4 PK forwards would be Lindholm/Mang/Backlund/Ryan. I'd strongly advocate for giving Gawdin and one of Philp/Phillips an extended look, all 3 are in contract years, you need to see if they are worth a contract going forward. You've also gotten almost nothing from your depth guys.

Leivo 0-2=2

Froese- 1-0=1

Nordstrom 0-0=0

Simon 0-0=0

Ritchie, Robinson and Rinaldo also have 0 points

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

IMO, this team isn't firing the coach and they aren't making major trades, it's time to start putting more youngsters into the lineup.

Put some pressure on the vets. 

Let's roll with Kylington in the lineup for awhile. Let's give Gawdin more minutes. Let's see Phillips or Philp get a call up. Philp has looked solid in his two AHL games so far.

Guys like Nordstrom, Simon, Ritchie are nice depth to have when you are rolling but they aren't going to give you much of a spark when you aren't.

I agree with you.  He has never been a liability on the AHL teams, so get him (Phillips) playing.

36 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am guessing Leivo comes out because he took a penalty last night.

First off, I’d like to say I like Nesto, and I like the signing by BT. Smart. Secondly, I wanted to point out that the last few games where Nesto and Valimaki were scored on, it was Valimaki with the error in judgement that caused the goals against. (Ie  leaving front of our net coverage to assist on Nestorov’s side, inexplicably resulting in a goal against). Oddly, I haven’t seen Valimaki make similar mistakes when partnered with Mackey or Kyller to this point. Lastly, Valimaki does need to stay in the lineup to grow his game at the NHL level (mistakes and all) so I agree he should remain in, but I’m confused about why Kyller is being replaced by Nesto. I like Nesto, but Kyller played relatively well last night and nobody is going to get into any kind of groove with the in and out nature of this coach. Give Kyller a few games man! Lines get shuffled, lineups get shuffled, and we’re all left wondering:

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

First off, I’d like to say I like Nesto, and I like the signing by BT. Smart. Secondly, I wanted to point out that the last few games where Nesto and Valimaki were scored on, it was Valimaki with the error in judgement that caused the goals against. (Ie  leaving front of our net coverage to assist on Nestorov’s side, inexplicably resulting in a goal against). Oddly, I haven’t seen Valimaki make similar mistakes when partnered with Mackey or Kyller to this point. Lastly, Valimaki does need to stay in the lineup to grow his game at the NHL level (mistakes and all) so I agree he should remain in, but I’m confused about why Kyller is being replaced by Nesto. I like Nesto, but Kyller played relatively well last night and nobody is going to get into any kind of groove with the in and out nature of this coach. Give Kyller a few games man! Lines get shuffled, lineups get shuffled, and we’re all left wondering:

In the early games, Nessy took some time to adjust and gradually got better as a pair.

In recent games he was a liability too often.

Bad pinches, getting undressed.

I give him the benefit of the doubt where he was hooked long enough to get stripped of the puck.

Other wise, he hasn't been great over time.

45 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am guessing Leivo comes out because he took a penalty last night.

Makes sense that you change up the team when you only shut out the Leafs for 5/6 periods.

Not saying we played a perfect game or even close, but we executed the plans drawn up.

We need to be bigger to play against a fast team.  🙄

We are so starved for offense on this club.

Absolutely no speed on attack.

Most of the shot are at the crest.

Call me crazy, but I think it would be a good idea to have a 4th line that might actually generate some offense.

Simon-Ruzicka-Phillips

The option is there to play Gawdin in the middle and just go with the kids.

They might actually score at this level.

They certainly can make passes, unlike several of our other lines right now.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I want to see Leivo get more minutes, I just don't know who I would take out of the top 9 to give home those minutes.

The most he ever had was 10 goals, average about 6-7. For someone signed for minimun as a hole filler I'm not sure how much to expect.  At least its not $9 mil/year for 1pt so far.

I have been going back and forth with the lines and wonder what Gaudreau with Bennett and Dube would look like? What if that was our sheltered third line?

Too unreliable?

Curious what others think the result would be? Obviously if it clicked and worked Ward wouldn’t use it, lol, but curious what others think?

This assumes for me other lines are:

Tkachuk - Monahan -  Lindholm

Lucic - Backlund - Mangiapane

This is very likely procedural and will allow the Flames to continue to shuffle Ryan to the taxi squad to save money.

however, this means Ryan is close and probably going to return this week. Will likely mean some re assignments tomorrow once he clears.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is very likely procedural and will allow the Flames to continue to shuffle Ryan to the taxi squad to save money.

however, this means Ryan is close and probably going to return this week. Will likely mean some re assignments tomorrow once he clears.

This was expected, so that's a good sign that Ryan is coming back.

It's about the last thing I expected the GM to do first thing after a failed road trip.

Yes, the day is early.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Geoff Ward working on his lines, trying to find the combinations that can play his system.

I find it very surprised that Ward generally is a "let's throw crap at a wall and see if it sick's" type of coach, but he's basically refused to ever try separating Mony and Johnny. 

Doesn't make much sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

On the plus side, Markstrom is back at practice so he likely will return soon, if not tomorrow. 

Likely why Simon is on waivers. 

Zag was on emergency loan, so I don't think that was required.

Anyway, the lines are back to what more or less was not working.

Maybe the Lucic line has some bigger impact, like before.

Bennett will probably be sat out.

Ryan coming in and Ritchie more of a RW grinder for the Ward game.

I don't know.  The coach is looking to fix a problem that isn't just due to lines.

I don't mind Leivo getting top 6, but I can't tell if that's a response to a good time on the 4th line or lack of options.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not to activate Markstrom no but probably necessary to keep flexibility with the taxi squad, roster and cap with both Markstrom and Ryan set to come off IR soon. Going to be some shuffling. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

find it very surprised that Ward generally is a "let's throw crap at a wall and see if it sick's" type of coach, but he's basically refused to ever try separating Mony and Johnny. 

Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I'm really curious as to what Ward thinks has been his best lineup choices.

Survive a game with the goalie shutting out a team or stopping way too many shots.

Some days the PK stops everything and they don't gove an inch.

Other nights it's sit back, allow entry and setup, and just wait fo the scoring chances.

Players are sat for no real reason and players come in for similar lack of reasons.

Leivo - either scratch or 4th line less than 10 minutes or top 6.  In for games against TO, out against Ottawa in favor of Robinson?

Bennett - similar to above but not scratches as much, also plays more minutes.

Kylington - not sure what he did that was wrong.  On for two hames where we shut out the Leafs, until they scored with a minutes left. 

Nesterov - comes in after two games of shutting out the Leafs (almost 2) and we get blown out; not directly on him, but why the need to change?

Is there an opportunity to move Gaudreau to Lindolm's wing?

Why not, nothing else has stuck the landing.

Many ways to do it, and they aren't exactly ground breaking:

JH-Lindholm-Tkachuk

JH-Lindholm-Dube

Mangiapane-Lindholm-JH

Gives you as many options with Monahan.  If you arn't going with Purple Juice line, then what exactly are you doing to get the line going?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Anyway, the lines are back to what more or less was not working.

Maybe the Lucic line has some bigger impact, like before.

Bennett will probably be sat out.

Ryan coming in and Ritchie more of a RW grinder for the Ward game.

I don't know.  The coach is looking to fix a problem that isn't just due to lines.

I don't mind Leivo getting top 6, but I can't tell if that's a response to a good time on the 4th line or lack of options.

I think it is a lack of options. Leivo has been like everyone else. Look decent one game and horrible in 2-3. Sometimes you notice him and you think, hey, maybe he coulda been a somebody! But then let’s you down.