Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

It’s frustrating for me because it appears Ward is making lineup changes to try and make up for systematic and execution issues. 

It’s starting to look like the flames struggles are the coach...seems every game win or loss there are very questionable coaching calls...BT may need to address this, but mid season is a bad time, I’m betting we are stuck with Ward for a while, and if he manages to get to the playoffs, and win one round we are stuck with him for much longer...I hate to say this but I’m kinda hoping they miss the playoffs but even then there is a good chance Ward stays and they blow up the core...BT seems to really suck at picking coaches and because of it is fans are frustrated with this team.

This thread has to do with the lines, so I’m not going to say anything about Ward. But after last night it is evident that things from the past were once again working again. Also if and when Backs comes back, what if we went with:

Johnny - Money - Lindy (they can alternate draws on their strong side, and gives Johnny a shooter again) I also think they should be double shifted in exchange for the 4th line every other. You basically are putting your powerplay out 3/8 lines. That makes a big difference.

Tkachuk - Bennett - Dube (2/3 of the toughest line we’ve had for a while going back to last post season, but a lot more skilled with Tkachuk) I believe this can be a high energy line that forechecks better than most in the league.

Lucic - Backlund - Mang (Again Backs and Mang have good chemistry, and Looch has not looked out of place the past couple games, with a good forecheck. This line can do heavy lifting on the defensive end)

Simon - Froese/Ryan - Leivo/Nordstrom (For now Simon needs to be a staple here, he plays an uptempo game is a bit vanilla, which is good for a fourth line)

• Like 2

Hey Pikey, 

I had 2 similar ideas. In comparison to your suggestion, I'd swap 2 players: Lucic and Tkachuk

JH - Mony - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane

Lucic - Bennett - Dube

Whoever is left over for 4th - Ryan at C, Leivo, Simon, Nordtrom, etc. 

Or, why not put 4 strong centers down the middle, and make every line highly formidable and difficult to defend: 

JH - Mony - Leivo

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane

Lucic - Bennett - Dube

Simon/Ryan - Backlund - Nordstrom

Happy to see Backlund likely to be back but I am really struggling to see what Simon has done to impress this coaching staff. 

Clearly the move to put Bennett with Johnny/Mony was not made with the future in mind now that he's back on the 4th line. 

I get why Markstrom starts but the Flames really need to start giving Rittich some games. 

• Angry 1

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Happy to see Backlund likely to be back but I am really struggling to see what Simon has done to impress this coaching staff. 

Clearly the move to put Bennett with Johnny/Mony was not made with the future in mind now that he's back on the 4th line. 

I get why Markstrom starts but the Flames really need to start giving Rittich some games. 

No kidding ! why the heck would simon be getting another opportunity in the top 6 , just baffling , flip flop him with Bennett or just bring leivo in for crying out loud 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Good ole coach Ward good for at least one head scratching line up decision a game. Bennett has been playing well the last few games, why on earth is he on the 4th line, and what has Simon done to deserve top 6 minutes?

This also comes as the whole Bennett trade request stuff was starting to die down, I am sure this will kick it all back up again.

I think I am just done with this coach, if this team makes the playoffs it's going to be on the back of Markstrom and in spite of anything Ward has done.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

So Bennett was given 2 games with JH and Mony, pots a goal no less, then gets reunited with the playoff line Lucic and Dube when backlund gets sidelined, that line is responsible for 2 goals for, and now Backlund comes back and Bennett is on the fourth line!???!?!??!?!??!?!?!?

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I'm done with Wardo. This guy is a joke.

Prediction: Gasoline poured on the Bennett wanting a trade fire, and Brian Burke is going to manage to get Bennett from us for Pittsburgh - watch. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

So Bennett was given 2 games with JH and Mony, pots a goal no less, then gets reunited with the playoff line Lucic and Dube when backlund gets sidelined, that line is responsible for 2 goals for, and now Backlund comes back and Bennett is on the fourth line!???!?!??!?!??!?!?!?

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I'm done with Wardo. This guy is a joke.

Prediction: Gasoline poured on the Bennett wanting a trade fire, and Brian Burke is going to manage to get Bennett from us for Pittsburgh - watch. 

You mean like Bennett for Janko??:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

So disappointing, I’ve really tried to curb my displeasure for this coaching staff, as I do think they have a hard job. But half the problem is them refusing to acknowledge when they make a mistake and changing it and progressing, they dig in with stubbornness and refuse to move forward. I have to stop typing 🤦‍♂️😔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CheersMan said:

You mean like Bennett for Janko??:ph34r:

Lol that seems like the type of thing BT would do🤦

This will definitely heat up the Bennett trade talks...for gods sake, PUT BENNETT  with Tachuck already!!!!!!!

move Lindholm back to RW where he has proven chemistry with JG and Mony...

FFS yes they got burned last year with having only 1 line but dividing the line into two parts is still NOT the answer, the answer is find a Ctr (BENNETT) for Tachuck and then do what you must to get a RW for them (short term Dube) Dear god this is not rocket science...then you have line with Manji/Backlund/Simon or Levino or whoever.

then the 4th would be Obviously Lucic and whoever and whoever till Ryan is back then it’s Lucic/Ryan/ whoever 

man it’s really not that tough Ward...get a grip!

im not sure why Cgy insists on ruining good players like Bennett? 

at this relate them may as well trade Lindholm and Valimaki for Neil...it’s just about as sensible as what they are doing now on and signing Rino and Stone..what a waste of 1.4 mil (I think they combine for) 

• Like 3

I'm just going to post this here, since I've been harping elsewhere about it.

The lines are broken.

Don't make sense anymore.

Got a couple of good games, but how much was that the novelty.

We are playing each team 9 or 10 times.

Unless you have a dominant lineup, teams will adjust to you after one or two games.

Dallas did it in the playoffs.

We were 2 minutes away from a commandng lead, but some coaching mistakes lead to a tying goal.

After that, Dallas was able to adjust and we did nothing new.

Admit it was a failed experiment.

Our top 9 from the playoffs was exactly how we should have started the season.

Instead we move Bennett to RW or 4th line, put Mangiapane on the 4rd line and bump up Dube.

I would rather have 3 good lines and not roll 4.

I get the people saying it's lack of heart.

Maybe, or just maybe it's frustration with some people.

I would do the following, it's not rocket surgery:

Johnny-Mony-Lindy

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

??-Gawdin-??

4th line should be guys that look good, not just role players.

Ritchie was better than SImon.

Leivo better than Nordstrom.

Would think we need to get a look at either Phillips or Ruzicka.

FFS, it's one game.

No worse than what we have seen from some that get 3-15 games.

I like Simon, but I don't think he meshes well with Gaudreau and Monahan.

He might be someone you use with a strong center.

No reason whatsoever to play Rinaldo.

Buddy and Froese are emergency guys only.

Some interesting roster moves oday, but not sure if it means anything other than money for the players.

#Flames moves today:

-Gawdin to main from AHL

-Kylington to main from taxi

-Robinson to main from taxi

-Zagidulin to taxi from AHL

-Stone to taxi from AHL

-Froese to taxi from main

-Ritchie to taxi from main

-Mackey to AHL from main

-Domingue to AHL from taxi

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some interesting roster moves oday, but not sure if it means anything other than money for the players.

#Flames moves today:

-Gawdin to main from AHL

-Kylington to main from taxi

-Robinson to main from taxi

-Zagidulin to taxi from AHL

-Stone to taxi from AHL

-Froese to taxi from main

-Ritchie to taxi from main

-Mackey to AHL from main

-Domingue to AHL from taxi

Desperation is what it means. Or maybe Mgt (I think it’s mgt who moves the players around) are trying to handcuff Wards options to force him to play the right guys? 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Stockton begins their season on Sunday. That’s why you see the majority of those moves. 
The only newsworthy move on they list is Gawdin. Looks like he may draw in tonight. Which would be smart given that Froese really isn’t very good. 

What would make you think that, he had quality minutes with Johnny 4 on 4 and heavy lifting minutes in the third yesterday? My guess is he can replace Money tonight 😔

Okay, last time for the suggested lines for a bit.

Johnny-Mony-Lindy

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Simon-Gawdin-Leivo

Monahan is not scoring, so they need a 2nd shooter.

3M is the only way to go now.

Bennett needs to be more consistent at C, abd bring what he did in the playoffs.

Gawdin wasn't bad and may benefit from players that have some experience.