Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

He is right. Need to load up the top 6 and stop trying to run all lines evenly. 

i would move Lindholm to the wing but the Ryan injury may impact that 

I hope Ward is open to suggestions from fans, I’d very much like to see something like:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindhom

Tachuck/Bennett/ Simon Levino Dube 

manji/Backlund/Dube Levino Simon

Lucic/ try whoever/Nords Levino Simon 

Valimaki/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev 

Gio/Kylington 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

When I hear him say that, swapping Nordstrom and Simon for Robinson and Rinaldo is what comes to mind.

I think this team needs an injection of youth. Gawdin, Phillips, Ruzicka should all be in consideration here.

The construction of the taxi squad made sense from an emergency replacement point of view.

It's not a viable alternative to what we have every day.

In fact, one taxi member is actually playing every game and is just a cap saving measure.

I suspect Bennett may be on the way out, which is fine since they won't use him properly and he isn't raising his game to force the issue.

We had two players last year that should have played during their call ups.

We now have Ruzicka who has looked good in limited viewing.

He's also built for the rigors of the NHL.

BT needs to step in and re-build the taxi squad.

Get the young guys practicing so they can be shown to be ready.

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

No changes at this point

I know it's only a practice, but I keep hearing a lot of things and see nothing.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I get that Simon and Nordstrom were even for the night, but that doesn't mean they were positive contributors.

Good thing we have last change Saturday.

Should have the 4th line on for meaningful minutes.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This sounds like a Bob Hartley move.

Not well handled IMO. Looks like they are trying to send a message which again makes no sense to me when he was coming off 2 well played games (1 of which even the coach admitted he played well in). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not well handled IMO. Looks like they are trying to send a message which again makes no sense to me when he was coming off 2 well played games (1 of which even the coach admitted he played well in). 

This is why there's no reason to wait on a Bennett trade.  He's not a superstar where you have to make sure you maximize the return.  Removing a distraction around the team is worth more than the return right now.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree poor showing by the coach here, I get a feel it was punishment for not coming to the team first about wanting a trade...again all speculation but kinda has that feel...unless ward is smarter than we give him credit for, he may be a genius if the plan was to sit Bennett for a game to show him how valuable he is to the team regardless of where he plays in the lineup?  Again, I’m not sure that’s the case but if it was...well played, may even light a fire under Bennett...I still wish they would Play Bennett as Tachuck’s Ctr and move Lindholm back to Gaudreau and Monahan...I have a gut feeling Bennett and Tachuck would click kinda link Gaudreau and Monahan do if they would put him with Tachuck for like 10 games or so 

Backlund is fading now too, he is still good but definitely needs 3rd line duty now 

I think the "demise" of Backlund is being very overstated. At 5 on 5 here is where he ranks among Flames forwards

CF% - 5th

FF%- 3rd

ShotsF% - 1st

XGF% - 3rd

SCF% - 8th

High danger chance F% - 5th

On top of this he has the lowest Offensive zone start rate on the team and the 3rd lowest on ice save %. 

He has had some bad games for sure but the idea he is on the decline is wrong IMO. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

The team had a look of defeat to me last game, no drive, no jump, no battle...going through the motions.  Could this be a reaction to Bennett's scratch?  By all accounts he is a popular teammate and the play of the rest of the team could have been a collective F you to Wardo for the benching.

Very poor asset management once again when it comes to Bennett.  If someone is sitting, there are several player that would be top of mind for me before him, Lucic being the first.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

The team had a look of defeat to me last game, no drive, no jump, no battle...going through the motions.  Could this be a reaction to Bennett's scratch?  By all accounts he is a popular teammate and the play of the rest of the team could have been a collective F you to Wardo for the benching.

Very poor asset management once again when it comes to Bennett.  If someone is sitting, there are several player that would be top of mind for me before him, Lucic being the first.

I hope both of you are wrong, the scary part is I think you were right. 
I think the flames management and or coaching staff was trying to send a message, and I think that the players backed their teammate rather than their coach or management.

WHICH IS A MASSIVE PROBLEM.

If the coaches and or management are that disconnected from the team that they lose the team (even if only for one game) because of a mismanaged series of events. They have no hope to reel them back in ever. The team will go and do whatever it wants whenever it wants, which is exactly what we’re seeing. 
And that leads to no accountability and no structure.
I don’t know what they’re going to do, but I think they need a strong voice to grab this team and be a model of consistency and strength. I hate Babcock and his antics, but something like that may be in order. Or it’s time to sell the farm, from the top down.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well this move certainly makes it seem like Bennett isn't playing tonight.

Not necessarily, I think it’s more because Ryan is out...unless there is a trade being worked out which I’m not 100% that there is, I think you see Bennett play tonight...if he’s not playing I’d expect a trade coming in the following few days...

howerver, I’d rather see him with Tachuck and Dube for at least 10 straight games and move Lindholm back to RW with Gaudreau and Monahan 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With Ryan unlikely to play Froese makes sense. I think you need an extra center and I would expect both he and Bennett to play. 

id like to see Ritchie get in a game. Could bring a more physical presence while not hurting you 5 on 5. 

Ritchie would have to come in for Nordstrom, and with Ryan already out I can't see Ward wanting to take another PK option out of the lineup.