UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

I am good with both players. We basically took away the Canucks puck stopping today. Hughes is skilled but more offensive and Demko is unproven overall.

My big issue is not the players and other than being slightly overpaid, not too disappointed in the contracts. The issue for me is that there is now limited cap space for Mangiapane, Kylington, 3 forwards and a D to fill out the roster. Basically 6.41 million.

So either the Flames are looking to play Hard ball with Mangiapane or trades will need to be 1 higher salary for multiple lower salary pieces.

I am assuming that Pietrangelo is out and was unlikely to sign, also sounds like Hall is out for now.

I would still like to see a trade for someone like Montour who will likely sign around 5 mil. 

Giordano Andersson 

Hanifin Tanev 

Valimaki / Kylington  Montour

Very balanced D can roll all 3 pairs without a lot of worry. Obviously would need salary out to make it work to still bring in forwards.

Still need to see what else happens.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will trade away Giordano 6M contract and try to get Pietrangelo.  Giordano basically has 1 year left and he will be gone for nothing.  Pietrangelo can be the quarterback for years to come with our young D.  Getting Pietrangelo in free agent market is insane, that's your first round pick.  As for Tanev, I think that we are overpaid for 30 years old D.  

8 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

I will trade away Giordano 6M contract and try to get Pietrangelo.  Giordano basically has 1 year left and he will be gone for nothing.  Pietrangelo can be the quarterback for years to come with our young D.  Getting Pietrangelo in free agent market is insane, that's your first round pick.  As for Tanev, I think that we are overpaid for 30 years old D.  

Ok, who is taking Gio at $6M?

AP has his two teams already, it’s more or less done. If he doesn’t then he’s scewed.

So far our GM still has NOT addressed this team's issue.  It's great that we got Markstrom, but it's also a risky move at 6M x 6.  Goaltending is not the issue for Flames, it actually was our bright spot most of the nights. I don't mind the upgrade, however the core problem still hasn't be addressed.  So far we haven't add any scoring touch front

, we didn't address our D core either.  We saw the decline of Giordano's performance last year, and he probably will be too old to play next year.  Tanev can't score and he is injury prone, and I really don't like this 4.5M x 4 deal.  The deal term is too long, most of our key forward are not signed for next 4 years.  If we are gonna win, it's now.  So how are we any different than last year, and mentally this team is still not tough enough to win playoff.  I believe there has to be some other significant move if we are serious about our chances.  

1 minute ago, crazyflames said:

Any team wants to win Stanley Cup now can take Gio 6M, because it's only 1 year.  

Pretty sure it is 2 yrs left. 
Not quit time for that sales job imo, maybe the season after next it might work, but then likely only at the TDL.

17 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

So far our GM still has NOT addressed this team's issue.  It's great that we got Markstrom, but it's also a risky move at 6M x 6.  Goaltending is not the issue for Flames, it actually was our bright spot most of the nights. I don't mind the upgrade, however the core problem still hasn't be addressed.  So far we haven't add any scoring touch front

, we didn't address our D core either.  We saw the decline of Giordano's performance last year, and he probably will be too old to play next year.  Tanev can't score and he is injury prone, and I really don't like this 4.5M x 4 deal.  The deal term is too long, most of our key forward are not signed for next 4 years.  If we are gonna win, it's now.  So how are we any different than last year, and mentally this team is still not tough enough to win playoff.  I believe there has to be some other significant move if we are serious about our chances.  

Nobody is complaining about Talbots performance in the post season. It was great. Adding Markstrom only improves that position long term. Tanev brings grit and reliability in the D zone. BT might be done for a while in FA but he is not done moulding our team for nextseason.

So we lost Brodie over a NMC and .5 mil which had we offered it he’d probably accepted 4.5 to say here 

instead we get Tanev who’s a year older for 4.5 per for 4 years???

i do like he’s an RS RD, and he big that’s good but not so sure he can replace Brodie unless Anderson is gonna replace Brodie on top line? Is he ready? 

so Tanev is quite literally gonna replace hammer...but no Brodie replacement I’m not liking this D...it’s very shaky with Gio getting older, it doesn’t matter how good Anderson is getting. If and huge if, Tanev was paired with Valimaki and somehow we landed AP that would be ok I think...but the only way that works is if you move Hanifin, then that slot needs to be filled...I’m just not seeing these pieces fitting properly on the the D, I mean AP would be a good replacement now and long term for Gio and good pair with him for 2 years, but again we will need to very soon look at replacing Gio so the musical chairs will keep moving on the D for another few years...Maybe Barrie or another 4-5 m d is coming? I’d rather see Tanev play with  and protect Valimaki on the 3rd, Anderson I think played very well with Gio so that’s good on the 1st pair but we need someone on the 2nd pair that can compliment Hanifin or better still, trade him and replace them 2nd pairing completely.

and someone posted correctly, our forward lines are weak, the quick fix would be Toffoil on 2nd line RW but that’s still not so good. What would be better is Hall, trade JG but let’s be honest that’s not happening either but if it did there is no way AP is coming.

there is some room and options BT has but this Tanev sign is making it tight...there is absolutely no way BT is done the team is still thin on D and RW...guess we need to wait and see if there is more shaking up to happen... the Lucic contract for what he brings is seriously killing the flexibility to fix the forward lines  

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Just curious, would any rather have Tanev for 4 years, or Barrie for 4?

I’d have rather kept Brodie for 5x5 honestly 

Tanev is not bad, just the 4x4.5 contract is, and it’s not even the 4 years but 3m max BT made a huge mistake on that, although it’s not gonna be an immovable contract and I do like Tanev at like a 3x3  Contract he would fit well with Valimaki too just a crap contract is all.

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Who is out there that remotely resembles Robyn Regehr?  I want two of them. Toss in a top end playmaker RH winger and we done.

well I guess technically Tanev is kinda like Regehr...but is prone to injury and can’t say 4.5 is a good value for him but otherwise he fits that bill...so you have 1/3 of your wish completed lol 

cant say he’s a top end but, Toffoil could fit the bill for your RW and he probably won’t break the bank...I’m sure you could fit him in or Strome in NYR would also fit...

personally, I’m more worried about succession planning for Gio...there is nothing in the pipe line, in and ideal world I can totally see our top pair being:

Valimaki and Anderson 

id love for them to be paired all season this year when it starts...maybe slot them in for 2nd pairing?

issues after that would be who plays with Gio and Hanifin? Tanev? Ok that works for the the third pairing:

Hanifin and Tanev

that works perfectly fine, but back to what do we do for Gio? 

Yeltsin? Maybe, or Tyson Barrie? Killington? 

in theory, the depth mix could be very solid, but there just seems to be a bit of a hole here, I don’t like the idea of not playing Valimaki with another than Anderson, because the team should be grooming them as a future top pair. However, short term, pairings could work without adding...

Gio/Anderson 

Hanifin/ Yeltsin or Tanev 

Valimaki/Yeltsin or Tanev 

killington (spare)

it’s solid enough with Markstrom in net, BUT it’s not good for Killingtons development to sit as a spare for what could be another year or two...to be quite honest the best thing they could do here is...and I hate to say it trade Gio... and the worry of succession is over cause it would be done and actually looks pretty good, a little in proven but good:

Valimaki/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

killington/Yeltsin 

whoever for spare

i actually very much love the look of this set up, but again, VERY unproven 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I’d have rather kept Brodie for 5x5 honestly 

Tanev is not bad, just the 4x4.5 contract is, and it’s not even the 4 years but 3m max BT made a huge mistake on that, although it’s not gonna be an immovable contract and I do like Tanev at like a 3x3  Contract he would fit well with Valimaki too just a crap contract is all.

Another thing is that the terms are not creative.  Look what Toronto did for Brodie, I think he starts with 2.5M next year then goes up because of the flat cap now. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So we lost Brodie over a NMC and .5 mil which had we offered it he’d probably accepted 4.5 to say here 

instead we get Tanev who’s a year older for 4.5 per for 4 years???

i do like he’s an RS RD, and he big that’s good but not so sure he can replace Brodie unless Anderson is gonna replace Brodie on top line? Is he ready? 

so Tanev is quite literally gonna replace hammer...but no Brodie replacement I’m not liking this D...it’s very shaky with Gio getting older, it doesn’t matter how good Anderson is getting. If and huge if, Tanev was paired with Valimaki and somehow we landed AP that would be ok I think...but the only way that works is if you move Hanifin, then that slot needs to be filled...I’m just not seeing these pieces fitting properly on the the D, I mean AP would be a good replacement now and long term for Gio and good pair with him for 2 years, but again we will need to very soon look at replacing Gio so the musical chairs will keep moving on the D for another few years...Maybe Barrie or another 4-5 m d is coming? I’d rather see Tanev play with  and protect Valimaki on the 3rd, Anderson I think played very well with Gio so that’s good on the 1st pair but we need someone on the 2nd pair that can compliment Hanifin or better still, trade him and replace them 2nd pairing completely.

and someone posted correctly, our forward lines are weak, the quick fix would be Toffoil on 2nd line RW but that’s still not so good. What would be better is Hall, trade JG but let’s be honest that’s not happening either but if it did there is no way AP is coming.

there is some room and options BT has but this Tanev sign is making it tight...there is absolutely no way BT is done the team is still thin on D and RW...guess we need to wait and see if there is more shaking up to happen... the Lucic contract for what he brings is seriously killing the flexibility to fix the forward lines  

Honestly since we are already getting 2 from Vancouver, maybe we should just get Toffoil as well.  I think that we can still afford him, we can’t afford any other high scoring forward in the free agent market if we don’t trade away more asset.  

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

well I guess technically Tanev is kinda like Regehr...but is prone to injury and can’t say 4.5 is a good value for him but otherwise he fits that bill...so you have 1/3 of your wish completed lol 

cant say he’s a top end but, Toffoil could fit the bill for your RW and he probably won’t break the bank...I’m sure you could fit him in or Strome in NYR would also fit...

personally, I’m more worried about succession planning for Gio...there is nothing in the pipe line, in and ideal world I can totally see our top pair being:

Valimaki and Anderson 

id love for them to be paired all season this year when it starts...maybe slot them in for 2nd pairing?

issues after that would be who plays with Gio and Hanifin? Tanev? Ok that works for the the third pairing:

Hanifin and Tanev

that works perfectly fine, but back to what do we do for Gio? 

Yeltsin? Maybe, or Tyson Barrie? Killington? 

in theory, the depth mix could be very solid, but there just seems to be a bit of a hole here, I don’t like the idea of not playing Valimaki with another than Anderson, because the team should be grooming them as a future top pair. However, short term, pairings could work without adding...

Gio/Anderson 

Hanifin/ Yeltsin or Tanev 

Valimaki/Yeltsin or Tanev 

killington (spare)

it’s solid enough with Markstrom in net, BUT it’s not good for Killingtons development to sit as a spare for what could be another year or two...to be quite honest the best thing they could do here is...and I hate to say it trade Gio... and the worry of succession is over cause it would be done and actually looks pretty good, a little in proven but good:

Valimaki/Anderson 

Hanifin/Tanev 

killington/Yeltsin 

whoever for spare

i actually very much love the look of this set up, but again, VERY unproven 

The only reason you trade away Gio now because you want AP lock in for long term.  But I doubt AP wants to come to Calgary, so I think that we may add another 7th D, and our D is probably done.  I won’t say it’s an upgrade from last season because maybe that’s all we can do with flat cap.  Our D is less offensive comparing to last year, therefore we must get another scoring forward.  The only possible forward is willing to take discount will be TH, because he wants to win.  Now we get elite goaltending, maybe BT can convince TH come to Calgary for 1 year at 4M to win Stanley cup when he still keeps the core untouched.  

8 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Na, that’s bad business, legal business but bad business. COL is still gonna get us back for the ROR OS, their just waiting for an opportunity. Best not to have other teams after you. 

COL is after us? Or after Feaster? GMs play musical chairs every few years, it’s a moving target, there will be no bad blood at all - just one GM that will refuse to deal with another GM (no matter which team they end up running). It’s a personal thing, not a team thing. 

1 hour ago, crazyflames said:

Honestly since we are already getting 2 from Vancouver, maybe we should just get Toffoil as well.  I think that we can still afford him, we can’t afford any other high scoring forward in the free agent market if we don’t trade away more asset.  

You make a good point, yes I think we can afford him and yes we can’t afford anyone else without major trades...and we definitely have a major hole in 2nd line RW he could fix for a few years without needing to make

major changes 

The Tanev signing tells me Pietro has no interest in coming here, because it effectively took us out of the running (cap space). For those of you that are dreaming a trade could be in the works to free up cap for Pietro... BT would’ve prioritized signing Pietro first, then looked into the trade market to get Tanev - not the other way around. As for Hall, we may be out on him as well unless the conversation with BT was “I want to see what you’re doing with the team before I commit to you”. I think trading a Gaudreau to fit Hall would be the opposite of what Hall wants. He’d likely want Gaudreau in the fold to boost his chances of a playoff cup run. Do we have anyone to replace Ryan at C? And even if we do, who’s running our PK now? Ryan, Reider, Janko all gone. Backlund and Lindholm are going to be relied on heavily and that’s going to be some hard minutes to play every game. I don’t know guys. This Tanev signing to me is off the board for me. 

Here’s a question, who’d you rather have, Ristolainen or Tanev? 

6 minutes ago, Carty said:

Just another way to compare some stats with a tool...

4a086d5f9983efb2919a120962d2cd11.png

572d8c19c9dfe298e4ed1f96d13f864b.png

This interesting, Brodie is by far better then any of the other 3...especially where the comparison in relation to teammates is...tells me Brodie carries and the other 3 need to be carried...issue here is Gio use to be a carrier but now also needs to be carried, Hanifin needs to be carried unless something changes this year...so basically as things stand now looks like we only have one guy who can carry...Anderson and one we don’t know in Valimaki (but safe bet he can Carry (Don’t need a partner to be good or can be good with anyone) but we need to wait and see, and 3 D that need to be carried (helped to be good) in Tanev, Gio as of late and Hanifin 

that’s not looking like a good mix but I could be wrong?

Archived