UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm really never good with contractual stuff so maybe this needs its own thread,

But can we give PTOs out to undrafted players from the 2020 draft?

There are a few that Really stand out as players obviously worth retaining that just didn't get picked somehow.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-prospects/2020/10/9/21507213/2020-nhl-entry-draft-best-undrafted-prospects-to-follow-in-2021

I believe so because I remember Flames have invited undrafted players to their rookie camps and stuff.  

if the Flames have gone all in on signing Markstrom then I would agree they've likely made a mistake. 

However, the structure of the contract is going to be really important so it's one of those one until we see everything we won't know. The term and AAV won't be enough to judge the gamble. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

if the Flames have gone all in on signing Markstrom then I would agree they've likely made a mistake. 

However, the structure of the contract is going to be really important so it's one of those one until we see everything we won't know. The term and AAV won't be enough to judge the gamble. 

If its a 7-year deal, then he could retire at 35 and then we be stuck with the cap hit for 2 more years.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If its a 7-year deal, then he could retire at 35 and then we be stuck with the cap hit for 2 more years.  

No it would come off the books. 

That was for contracts signed for players who were 35 or older when they signed the deal but that clause has also been removed. 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Let's see if BT has learned his lesson on UFA day.  He's historically done very poorly.  This has been the one day we wished BT would take a day off.  If this is anything like $6 x -7-year then... Oh boy.

There really isn't a lesson to learn. You sign bad contracts if you are going after big fish on free agency day. 

the only lesson to try and learn is to not need to sign those players but that's also easier said than done. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I am 100% certain , we will hate the Term and the AAV

but at the end of the day when you get the chance to lock up a top true #1  Goalie .. you gotta do it 

In hindsight , maybe should have given Bishop the 8x8

Archived