Brady Tkachuk

crazyflames

7 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Seriously, why nobody thought about getting Brady Tkachuk from Ottawa?

It has already been mentioned several times, but mostly just as a pipe dream...

I mean it will be super pricy but it’s not impossible.

Melnyk is notorious for being a cheap bastard...   Consider the talent the Sens have traded away for players that are less expensive, just to keep the cost down for Melnyk...

Brady has a ELC until the end of next season...   The Sens are 30th in the league at the moment, and need to keep some talent so their fans don't start to organize a lynch mob...   and right now Brady is their top talent, and his low dollar ELC is why he will be staying in Ottawa for the foreseeable future, he is a bargain for Melnyk...   There is no way that any team could pry Brady out of Ottawa without an over-payment in a trade that would include comparable talent that is also on a budget friendly contract(s)...

I would like to see Brady on the Flames as well...   Maybe that can be a consideration at some point down the road, but I just don't see it as a possibility any time soon...

5 hours ago, Carty said:

It has already been mentioned several times, but mostly just as a pipe dream...

Melnyk is notorious for being a cheap bastard...   Consider the talent the Sens have traded away for players that are less expensive, just to keep the cost down for Melnyk...

Brady has a ELC until the end of next season...   The Sens are 30th in the league at the moment, and need to keep some talent so their fans don't start to organize a lynch mob...   and right now Brady is their top talent, and his low dollar ELC is why he will be staying in Ottawa for the foreseeable future, he is a bargain for Melnyk...   There is no way that any team could pry Brady out of Ottawa without an over-payment in a trade that would include comparable talent that is also on a budget friendly contract(s)...

I would like to see Brady on the Flames as well...   Maybe that can be a consideration at some point down the road, but I just don't see it as a possibility any time soon...

not only that, they get San Jose’s first rounder this year which could be lottery as well. They have a couple of picks to add to Brady, which may not play next year but possibly can.

Maybe you meant to say, why nobody thought about Brady Tkachuk "recently" because he's on pace for another 40-point season.

Back to back 40-point seasons and suddenly, he's not that high end point producer we thought he might be.  It's hard to label a player "franchise" if he can't be unstoppable offensively.  Even Brady described himself to be more muscles than brains when compared to his own brother Matthew who will be a better scorer overall.

Anyways, he's not untouchable in my opinion but it's going to cost a lot.  We're looking at Gaudreau for Brady for starters.

I think some are just looking for, envious of, the Sedin twins and the chemistry / dominance they had together. Brady is a good young player, but there's a lot of those in the league.

It's not like having him would see he and Matthew doing end to end 3 pass rushes together - they didn't play organized competitive hockey together.  They don't have that sixth sense of where each other is, would be on ice like Daniel and Henrik had. 

Outside of Keith and Mom being able to reduce flight costs and air miles, I don't see the benefit to the Flames for the cost they would have to pay. 

1 hour ago, WRuCOS said:

I think some are just looking for, envious of, the Sedin twins and the chemistry / dominance they had together. Brady is a good young player, but there's a lot of those in the league.

It's not like having him would see he and Matthew doing end to end 3 pass rushes together - they didn't play organized competitive hockey together.  They don't have that sixth sense of where each other is, would be on ice like Daniel and Henrik had. 

Outside of Keith and Mom being able to reduce flight costs and air miles, I don't see the benefit to the Flames for the cost they would have to pay. 

yup! I don’t know about paying that cost either. I see Matthew as an extremely good player. I don’t see him making players around him much better. He helps make a line better but isn’t elite. He isn’t a Marner or Gaudreau or that kind of player.

Is his brother better? 

can he skate? 
I think if M. Tkachuk could skate better he could be that player. I am not saying he doesn’t think the game well, nor trying to insult him, because he is very good at what he does. I just think elite players can do more. Maybe he’s not quite there yet?

i don’t know if his brother gets there or even gets him there.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

yup! I don’t know about paying that cost either. I see Matthew as an extremely good player. I don’t see him making players around him much better. He helps make a line better but isn’t elite. He isn’t a Marner or Gaudreau or that kind of player.

Is his brother better? 

can he skate? 
I think if M. Tkachuk could skate better he could be that player. I am not saying he doesn’t think the game well, nor trying to insult him, because he is very good at what he does. I just think elite players can do more. Maybe he’s not quite there yet?

i don’t know if his brother gets there or even gets him there.

Well, I would disagree about Tkachuk.

His skating is not elite, but his playmaking and game is.

He does make players better.

Some people called it a Backlund bump, but that's oversimplifying it.

The 3M line was our 2nd best line last year, but our best defensive line.

Without Frolik they were still good, but not as good overall.

This year, no Frolik and (now) no Backlund and it's the 2nd best or best line.

Without Gaudreau or Tkachuk, this team is meh.

About the same as TO without Marner or Matthews.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, I would disagree about Tkachuk.

His skating is not elite, but his playmaking and game is.

He does make players better.

Some people called it a Backlund bump, but that's oversimplifying it.

The 3M line was our 2nd best line last year, but our best defensive line.

Without Frolik they were still good, but not as good overall.

This year, no Frolik and (now) no Backlund and it's the 2nd best or best line.

Without Gaudreau or Tkachuk, this team is meh.

About the same as TO without Marner or Matthews.

I agree with the last bit that the team is Meh without them. I've been saying that about Monahan. He's just Meh without Gaudreau. I don't think you're not giving Lindholm enough credit either. He helps Tkachuk look good as well. Without a good C Tkachuk doesn't do anything on his own. IF that were the case, Backlund would be having a better year.

Just now, robrob74 said:

I agree with the last bit that the team is Meh without them. I've been saying that about Monahan. He's just Meh without Gaudreau. I don't think you're not giving Lindholm enough credit either. He helps Tkachuk look good as well. Without a good C Tkachuk doesn't do anything on his own. IF that were the case, Backlund would be having a better year.

Backlund was sputtering when Tkachuk was still performing.

Marner without a C that can finish is mostly a good passer.

But we all see it differently.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I would trade Monahan for Brady Tkachuk straight up without any hesitation.  Monahan's got a great shot and improving his two-way play but he's a 60-point guy without Gaudreau.  He's too slow, average IQ, and doesn't create for himself.  He's also someone who fades away by February/March every season.  I don't think we will ever win the Cup with Monahan as our #1 Center.

Gaudreau for Brady i wouldn't do... OTT would have to add something significant.  I think Brady has a 75-point ceiling.  Gaudreau could be a 100-point player and make others around him better.  Those are super rare.  

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I would trade Monahan for Brady Tkachuk straight up without any hesitation.  Monahan's got a great shot and improving his two-way play but he's a 60-point guy without Gaudreau.  He's too slow, average IQ, and doesn't create for himself.  He's also someone who fades away by February/March every season.  I don't think we will ever win the Cup with Monahan as our #1 Center.

Gaudreau for Brady i wouldn't do... OTT would have to add something significant.  I think Brady has a 75-point ceiling.  Gaudreau could be a 100-point player and make others around him better.  Those are super rare.  

Monahan plays a better 2 way game than he is given credit for, especially as he has to play with Johnny, who as good as he is offensively, is a pure liability on the back check and in the D zone (see blown tire tonight leading to an EDM goal). Not withstanding Brady being 5 years younger, with a much cheaper contract for the next few years - I wouldn't swap Monahan for him. Brady is more tenacious and is scoring, but I want to see his numbers and trajectory when Ottawa is a decent team and people start marking them on their calendars. It's much easier to score on a bad team, when everyone isn't focused on playing you. Monahan is and has been lining up against the best in NHL for years now and his numbers, while down this year are above expectation. It's also much harder to find a good 1C vs. wingers. If Monahan was such a poor center, then playing with Backlund should have had him riding the wing for the rest of year and instead the experiment lasted one game and now it is Backlund who finds himself on the wing on that line. 

32 minutes ago, WRuCOS said:

Monahan plays a better 2 way game than he is given credit for, especially as he has to play with Johnny, who as good as he is offensively, is a pure liability on the back check and in the D zone (see blown tire tonight leading to an EDM goal). Not withstanding Brady being 5 years younger, with a much cheaper contract for the next few years - I wouldn't swap Monahan for him. Brady is more tenacious and is scoring, but I want to see his numbers and trajectory when Ottawa is a decent team and people start marking them on their calendars. It's much easier to score on a bad team, when everyone isn't focused on playing you. Monahan is and has been lining up against the best in NHL for years now and his numbers, while down this year are above expectation. It's also much harder to find a good 1C vs. wingers. If Monahan was such a poor center, then playing with Backlund should have had him riding the wing for the rest of year and instead the experiment lasted one game and now it is Backlund who finds himself on the wing on that line. 

Brady has played some Center in OTT.  I would bring him here to play Center and develop him to be one long term.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don’t even think he is a 60 point center without Gaudreau. My thinking is 20-25 goals and 50-55 points without Gaudreau. 

I am not saying Monahan isn’t good. It’s hard to get those points in the NHL. And sometimes good players need good players to feed off of each other.

7 hours ago, WRuCOS said:

I actually think Johnny is good at back checking. It is a part of his game that he is missing this year. Last year when he was most successful he was a menace to play against. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t even think he is a 60 point center without Gaudreau. My thinking is 20-25 goals and 50-55 points without Gaudreau. 

I am not saying Monahan isn’t good. It’s hard to get those points in the NHL. And sometimes good players need good players to feed off of each other.

This season, ya.  He's a 60-point player WITH Gaudreau but he has proved in his first two seasons that he's a 60-point player without Gaudreau too.  I guess we can all agree he's not a Point-per-game player by himself.  Not saying Brady Tkachuk is but he's better.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This season, ya.  He's a 60-point player WITH Gaudreau but he has proved in his first two seasons that he's a 60-point player without Gaudreau too.  I guess we can all agree he's not a Point-per-game player by himself.  Not saying Brady Tkachuk is but he's better.

we’ve had this convo, he had Hudler before Gaudreau. We got Hudler in his best 3 years. Monahan has a good rookie season and worked his way to Hudler and then he had both Hudler and Gaudreau.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

we’ve had this convo, he had Hudler before Gaudreau. We got Hudler in his best 3 years. Monahan has a good rookie season and worked his way to Hudler and then he had both Hudler and Gaudreau.

I do recall this convo lol.

Let's do a Monahan + Dube (+ Backlund) for Tkachuk + Batherson... but we play Tkachuk at Center.  Gives us more grit.  The Senators accelerate their rebuild with our castaways.  We save tons of cap space to rebuild other areas.

M.Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane

Gaudreau - B.Tkachuk - Batherson

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I do recall this convo lol.

Let's do a Monahan + Dube (+ Backlund) for Tkachuk + Batherson... but we play Tkachuk at Center.  Gives us more grit.  The Senators accelerate their rebuild with our castaways.  We save tons of cap space to rebuild other areas.

M.Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane

Gaudreau - B.Tkachuk - Batherson

I wish it were that easy. 
I like Monahan and it is good that he sees that his game needed a push. I guess playoffs is good for you even if you don’t show up; an on ice seat to see what it really takes to be dominant. I just wish he noticed it in the Ducks series’. 

albeit, he has been injured a lot so he hasn’t been able to work on his game in the summer. Last night was one of the best games I’ve seen him play since the Vancouver series when they were the Find-a-Way Flames. Monny looked great that series, then I think he may have gotten injured against the Ducks in the next round.

Archived