2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TSN is carrying the game in 4K, but I'm guessing it's blacked out in the Flames region.

Most likely have to catch it on the web.

Anyway, it seems like AMac is getting a long look.

I hope they actually give Kylington and Yelesin a fair look too.

Both have been playing well enough in the pre-season. 

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

TSN is carrying the game in 4K, but I'm guessing it's blacked out in the Flames region.

Most likely have to catch it on the web.

Anyway, it seems like AMac is getting a long look.

I hope they actually give Kylington and Yelesin a fair look too.

Both have been playing well enough in the pre-season. 

It’s not blacked out on NHL Center Ice (I don’t subscribe to it but noticed they sometimes show games that cannot be seen on TSN)

Ugg, tough game to watch.

Flames had a PP and managed to get set up exactly nonce.

Jets PP looked dangerous.

Oh my, watching Stone skate is painful.

Like he is charging out of oatmeal.

Makes the safe plays to nobody.

Rieder is fast.

Ruzicka looks good so far.

Mangiapane probably the best Flame out there.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Was supposed to be the little ball o hate, but he's not in.

I think DSP is a long shot to make this team at this point. I am not even sure we have room for him down in Stockton.

Rieder and Rinaldo have way more and I am not even sure it's enough for either of them to make the team.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think DSP is a long shot to make this team at this point. I am not even sure we have room for him down in Stockton.

Rieder and Rinaldo have way more and I am not even sure it's enough for either of them to make the team.

Agreed. 

Talbot seems to have settled in and he’s tracking the puck well. 

I think it's between Kylington and Macdonald for 3rd pair LD. My preference is Kylington but the organization seems to lack trust in him.

Then I think it's between Czarnik and Rieder for a bottom 6 RW role. I like Czarnik but Rieder can kill penalties and I'll bet you could sign Rieder for league minimum. Theres an extra 550k in cap savings. Quine and Dube have played well too, it's a logjam at the bottom end of the forward ranks.

Rinaldo I think you can get on a 2 way deal, if that's something he wants, he could be helpful in spot duty when injuries arise in the bottom 6 

59 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it's between Kylington and Macdonald for 3rd pair LD. My preference is Kylington but the organization seems to lack trust in him.

Then I think it's between Czarnik and Rieder for a bottom 6 RW role. I like Czarnik but Rieder can kill penalties and I'll bet you could sign Rieder for league minimum. Theres an extra 550k in cap savings. Quine and Dube have played well too, it's a logjam at the bottom end of the forward ranks.

Rinaldo I think you can get on a 2 way deal, if that's something he wants, he could be helpful in spot duty when injuries arise in the bottom 6 

If Tkachuk get signed and they don't need to offload anyone then they almost have a set roster. 

At forward Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Lucic, and Ryan are all getting a spot. That leaves two open. Reider, Dube, Quine, and Czarnik are all options for a spot. My guess is Reider and Dube, but I think they would like to make room for Quine. My guess is we see Jankowski moved out in the next two weeks. I also think Czarnik is moved to clear space. That jives with rumors that Treliving is trying to move some bottom 6 pieces. 

At D Giordano, Brodie, Hanafin, Hamonic, are guaranteed spots. You would have to think Andersson and Stone are getting spots as well. That leaves Kylington and MacDonald fighting for a spot. That one is a toss up for me, but my guess is MacDonald as having Kylington a call up away is better for depth. 

I expect Pelltier to be sent on his way soon.

Just isn't close.

DSP will be released; he just doesn;t seem to have it.

As much as I would like to have his grit, the hockey sense isn't there.

I'm not really sure what the point of having Stone and AMac is.

One or the other.

IN fact, there is little reason to keep up any of the AHL D-men.

AT best, they might replace Kylington.

Dube should make the team out of camp.

Czarnik and Quine are about the same, but Quine can play more spots.

Gawdin and Ruzicka seem close, but expect both to get sent to the AHL.

Waivers matter.

Gillies might as well be waived now, since no team will take him right now.

My guess at who remains (trades not included), with no lines really certain:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett

Dube-Ryan-Mangiapane

Quine, Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kylington-Ras

AMac

8 minutes ago, kehatch said:

If Tkachuk get signed and they don't need to offload anyone then they almost have a set roster. 

At forward Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Lucic, and Ryan are all getting a spot. That leaves two open. Reider, Dube, Quine, and Czarnik are all options for a spot. My guess is Reider and Dube, but I think they would like to make room for Quine. My guess is we see Jankowski moved out in the next two weeks. I also think Czarnik is moved to clear space. That jives with rumors that Treliving is trying to move some bottom 6 pieces. 

At D Giordano, Brodie, Hanafin, Hamonic, are guaranteed spots. You would have to think Andersson and Stone are getting spots as well. That leaves Kylington and MacDonald fighting for a spot. That one is a toss up for me, but my guess is MacDonald as having Kylington a call up away is better for depth. 

There is a chance that we sign players on PTO's and bury them in the AHL.

Sounds bad, but the players haven;t exactly had offers up the ying yang.

Signing Rieder, Rinaldo, AMac doesn't fill out the 50 contract limit.

They get waived and play in the AHL on NHL money.

In fact, I would send AMac or Stone down, assuming they don't blow the doors off in preseason (they haven;t yet).

Czarnik is what he was last year; great shot and speed, inconsistent in games.

Quine has earned a 13/14 spot IMHO.

Oh well, should find out this week.

A couple of guys have earned longer looks, but there isn;t room for them right now.

Well if Talbot is tracking the puck...he sure as heck is not stopping 3 mil worth of them at .8xx save percentage, Wpg didn’t have a full roster and we had a very thin one, however, I’d expect more for 3 mil any thing else is unacceptable considering that 3 mil would probably have Chucks signed

Talbot is another failed reclamation project ... just like Neil, smith etc... hopefully I’m wrong and I end up eating my words, and maybe I’m being too critical, but I think it’s fair to say the Talbot money would have had chucky signed who is far more important then Talbot...

granted im not a huge fan of the Lucic trade either, IMO buying him out would have been better but I can live with the Lucic situation as he definitely can bring a presence to the front of the net, I think with Chucky doing that on PP1 and him doing that on PP2  would make both PP lines more dangerous 

32 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well if Talbot is tracking the puck...he sure as heck is not stopping 3 mil worth of them at .8xx save percentage, Wpg didn’t have a full roster and we had a very thin one, however, I’d expect more for 3 mil any thing else is unacceptable considering that 3 mil would probably have Chucks signed

Talbot is another failed reclamation project ... just like Neil, smith etc... hopefully I’m wrong and I end up eating my words, and maybe I’m being too critical, but I think it’s fair to say the Talbot money would have had chucky signed who is far more important then Talbot...

granted im not a huge fan of the Lucic trade either, IMO buying him out would have been better but I can live with the Lucic situation as he definitely can bring a presence to the front of the net, I think with Chucky doing that on PP1 and him doing that on PP2  would make both PP lines more dangerous 

That's an overreaction of a few games in a pre-season game.

Would you expect Rittich to battle every single puck to the point of near injury, just to shake the rust off?

If not, why would you expect to see that with Talbot?

I'm not making excuses for him.  The reality is that there was one full-time NHL defenseman from last year's roster out there last night.

The forwards consisted of Mangiapane and a couple of part-time NHL players from last year's roster.

I would prefer to see a NHL team in front of him, playing like they should, before I wrote him off as a failed experiment.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure why so many are still in camp.

Too many players to have meaningful practices.

As it stands, Stockton's camp will be pretty slim for another few days at least.

As far as I understand they are still practicing as separate groups, so having extra bodies around doesn't effect the main group, and allows the younger guys to get more time with NHL coaches and training staff.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As far as I understand they are still practicing as separate groups, so having extra bodies around doesn't effect the main group, and allows the younger guys to get more time with NHL coaches and training staff.

Do you think there is any reason to continue the DSP PTO?

Maybe it makes sense to have two sets of practices, but this reminds me of last year and the crew that went to China.

The D is all but set, with only 3 or 4 players factoring in on 2 spots; Kyl, Davidson, AMac, and Stone.

Yelesin is a wild card to make the team, but after that there really is nobody close.

The forwards is more about Czarnik vs Quine.

Rieder may get a deal, and Ruzicka and Gawdin look close, but there really isn't much call for them to be here.

They won't waive Czarnik, even if that is the best thing to do.

If they sign Rieder and Rinaldo, they will be waived and sent along with Gawdin and Ruzicka.

So, until something else changes, we'll continue to play games with players that won't be here in October.

Maybe there is a pending deal with Frolik or Brodie or Janko or Czarnik, and it all makes sense.

If we are keepng these players up, then I would prefer that they try some of the more consistent players with good players.

Gawdin with Frolik or Backlund.

Ruzicka with Mangiapane or Bennett.

Kylington with Brodie.

Yelesin with Hanifin.

Quine with Janko.

Aaron Vickers Retweeted Calgary Flames

#Flames trim more, with the following moving down to Stockton: Gawdin, Hamilton, Leslie, Lomberg, Parsons, Philp, Phillips, Pospisil, Ruzicka, Schueneman, Tuulola, Yelesin and Zagidulin. Calgary has also returned Pelletier to Moncton, and released Grenier of his PTO.

Aaron Vickers added

14 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

So basically Kylington, Stone and AMac fighting for the 2 6/7 D spots. DSP, Rinaldo, Rieder, Dube, Czarnik and Quine fighting for 4 spots (3 if Tkachuk signs). Why Gillies is still there, I have no idea.  

Somehow I forgot about Davidson, who would have to be waived.

16 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

So basically Kylington, Stone and AMac fighting for the 2 6/7 D spots. DSP, Rinaldo, Rieder, Dube, Czarnik and Quine fighting for 4 spots (3 if Tkachuk signs). Why Gillies is still there, I have no idea.  

And I actually think Dube is a lock.

5 guys and two real spots (13th/14th).

Archived