The Undrafted

jjgallow

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

BPA is very subjective though.

Like, was Jakob Pelletier (LHS LW, 5'-9" 160lbs) clearly BPA over Bobby Brink (RHS RW, 5'-8" 159 lbs)?  Why not draft the RHS??  I've never seen these two play but i imagine the difference is so close.

The difference lies in skating. Pelletier is an excellent skater, whereas Brink not as much. So yes BPA is subjective, but when there is a big gap in skating then what hand they shoot shouldn't be as important. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

BPA is very subjective though.

Like, was Jakob Pelletier (LHS LW, 5'-9" 160lbs) clearly BPA over Bobby Brink (RHS RW, 5'-8" 159 lbs)?  Why not draft the RHS??  I've never seen these two play but i imagine the difference is so close.

I do agree, I'm starting to waiver on this.   After several great years of drafting I think I actually just...assumed, they had gone BPA and maybe looked at this with rose colored glasses.   Also been very busy.     As I'm learning more about this year's draft I'm less sure.        But can a 5-9" guy be BPA?  Yes.  Can a LW be BPA?  yes.

Does it factor into BPA?    Size and position do, yes.    But,   Not because of the current needs of your team.   I would agree that overall NHL scarcity of the RH shots, does give them a certain increased ranking in even BPA.     But one has to be careful not to go overboard, because being a RH shot is also an advantage to the player.  So they Should have something to show for that advantage come draft time.

39 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Wishful thinking.   Just undrafted players we could look at since we didn't get all our picks this year (or last year)

If we could make some space, I would be interested in Gusev.

Not that I love Russians, but they get a bad rap on this team.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Not entirely on topic but Albertan and RW Daniel Carr is on waivers.

Talented right winger who can put up big numbers in the minors, always on the verge in the NHL.

Worth a shot in our RW depleted roster?

He can play RW, but usually plays LW and shoots left as well...   

Seen him play a few times in junior...   Had a bit of snarl...   Showed a lot of promise in junior...

6 feet tall, and I see he has put on a bit of weight as he is currently listed at 194 lbs...   1 year contract with a $700 K cap hit...

Has some potential, but would still be a gamble...   and he would be yet another left shot...

33 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Not entirely on topic but Albertan and RW Daniel Carr is on waivers.

Talented right winger who can put up big numbers in the minors, always on the verge in the NHL.

Worth a shot in our RW depleted roster?

Cap issue aside....

Does it make more sense than calling up Gawdin or Phillips or Tuulola?

Carr has only one season in the AHL where he put up big numbers. 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Cap issue aside....

Does it make more sense than calling up Gawdin or Phillips or Tuulola?

Carr has only one season in the AHL where he put up big numbers. 

I will say yes, going back to our earlier discussion about giving prospects time to develop.  I think it makes a lot of sense that way as none of the 3 above are ready.

I will admit, I did not realize that he was a "fake RW" lol.   Totally missed that and it does take some steam out of the idea as well as explains how he's available.

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I will say yes, going back to our earlier discussion about giving prospects time to develop.  I think it makes a lot of sense that way as none of the 3 above are ready.

I will admit, I did not realize that he was a "fake RW" lol.   Totally missed that and it does take some steam out of the idea as well as explains how he's available.

So, you don;t reward prospects for starting out strong in their 2nd pro year or multiple pro years overseas?

All three of them play RW and are RHS.

One is big and plays a heavy game.

One is a responsible C who can play the wing and looked good in pre-season.

One has a nose for the net and plays big for a tiny guy.

We are talking about depth for a team that seems to be lacking depth on the roster.

Even if Carr was a RHS or RW, I would prefer to give guys on the farm first crack.

That is unless there was an actuall NHL goal scoring RW available on wiaver.

Archived