2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I highly, highly doubt he and his camp will agree with you. 

Andreas Johnsson is a very similar player to Mangiapane. Draft position, AHL numbers, NHL numbers etc and he signed for 4 years at 3.5 million. JT Compher, who Mangiapane is going to out score at 5 on 5, got 4 years at 3.5Mill AAV. 

Alex Tuch has the draft position, and was very good in the playoffs, but Mangiapange has better 5 on 5 numbers at this stage of his career. Tuch got 7 years at 4.7mill AAV. 

I don't see how Mangiapane agrees to go long term at less than 4 mill. 

I just park this for now.

No idea how he performs in the playoffs.

No idea what BT sees for a plan.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2020/3/5/21165191/heating-up-the-rise-of-hanirazz

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I found it an interesting read.

Definitely have decisions to make as far as pairings go when we get Hamonic back in the lineup.

reading the article I can actually see this in games. The play is going the other way more frequently but what the Forwards do with the puck is possibly a different story. As pucks can sometimes be in feet or taken to bad places where the plays die. It really depends. 

I lnow some don’t like the 3rd pair (new guys), but I think they push forward too. I think even though the PP1 doesn’t necessarily click right away, I can see Gus’ ability through the growing pains. They are relatively new to playing with him. I see food flow and occasionally good decisions on the point from him. My biggest problem is not putting Tkachuk in the slot where he is the best on the team at tipping.

that was a good read. Hamonic could be pushed out. My view is find out who is better, him or Forbes?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Good to have him back and eating popcorn sooner than later.

There is always the option of running 7D so he only plays 7 minutes.

At the very least, he gives Hamonic an option, creates a little competition for a spot, and adds some insurance in case there is an injury...

My guess is it won't be long until Wardo has him in the lineup though...

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Valimaki being exempt for the expansion draft would be huge for the Flames.

I think the fact he never played a single game plays into it.

However, if the season is delayed long enough, he might be ABLE to play.

Holding him out, even if healthy, shouldn't enter into the calculation of pro experience.

Just my take.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think the fact he never played a single game plays into it.

However, if the season is delayed long enough, he might be ABLE to play.

Holding him out, even if healthy, shouldn't enter into the calculation of pro experience.

Just my take.

If the season resumes, or when it does...   It could go right into a playoff format, or maybe they play at least some of the remaining games to balance things out...   Either way, I can't see why the Flames couldn't choose to keep Valimaki out of the mix...   He's been out all season, so he could take too long to get up to a game shape condition level, risk of injury from returning too soon, etc...

Just too many variables for the league to mandate a players return...   The Flames would have a pretty strong case for keeping Valimaki out...   Just my take...

41 minutes ago, Carty said:

If the season resumes, or when it does...   It could go right into a playoff format, or maybe they play at least some of the remaining games to balance things out...   Either way, I can't see why the Flames couldn't choose to keep Valimaki out of the mix...   He's been out all season, so he could take too long to get up to a game shape condition level, risk of injury from returning too soon, etc...

Just too many variables for the league to mandate a players return...   The Flames would have a pretty strong case for keeping Valimaki out...   Just my take...

I agree.

Even if he is in game shape, we have Hamonic, Forbort, Kylington, Gustafsson that are battle tested.

We may need all four of them if the season plays out.

Based on who is fully capable, I would see Valimaki below the following:

LD - Gio, Hanifin, Forbort, Gustafsson, Kylington

RD - Brodie, Ras, Hamonic, Stone

Why would we call into service a guy that has not played in a year.

I think it also depends on what the AHL does with their season. An AHL game counts as a pro game so in order for the Flames to keep that status he has to play zero hockey this season. If both leagues continue their seasons and Valimaki is cleared medically it will be difficult to keep him out of a game IMO. 

I suspect his agent would make some noise if that was the case. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think it also depends on what the AHL does with their season. An AHL game counts as a pro game so in order for the Flames to keep that status he has to play zero hockey this season. If both leagues continue their seasons and Valimaki is cleared medically it will be difficult to keep him out of a game IMO. 

I suspect his agent would make some noise if that was the case. 

I don't think he is eligible to play in the AHL this year, because he wasn't on the AHL roster at the deadline and he finished last season on the NHL roster. I could be wrong, but I think his only option is NHL.

The exception might be a conditioning stint.

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think he is eligible to play in the AHL this year, because he wasn't on the AHL roster at the deadline and he finished last season on the NHL roster. I could be wrong, but I think his only option is NHL.

My theory would be that he is allowed to play in the AHL regular season but would be ineligible for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

a conditioning stint is an option for sure. I believe, but could also be wrong, that he could be assigned just not play in the playoffs. I also wonder if the NHl revisits rules like this after a long break. I think they will have to give teams options. Be a pretty bad idea to just throw all players right back at it after a month or more off. 

I will say I don’t really expect Valimaki to play. I’m not sure the nhl is coming back and even if it does the flames sure won’t want him to play. I just wondering what could happen if there are options and the agent gets involved. 

It's starting to look more like even if the league gets going, it won't be before mid May at the soonest (or if can happen soon enough after that)...   They would start with a mini training camp, and that then it would go right into some kind of playoff format...   They don't want it to go any later than the end of July to award the cup...   They sound pretty firm on wanting next season to start on time...

I read that scientists or medical people in Ontario has a worst case scenario that the country could be on self distancing for up to two years. 

but who knows. 

I wonder if they could just go on a tournament style playoffs with 21 teams. I guess it isn’t fair to give a bye to a team or two in that scenario. 16 teams do work best. 

what if they played a full league playoff. Use the regular season to rank the teams and the #1 team gets the bye, or plays Detroit. If it is for all of the marbles teams might not take underdogs lightly

• 2 months later...

30 man Flames roster

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Gustafsson-Hamonic

Rittich/Talbot

Is Pelletier eligible to be part of the 30 man? I don't think he could be any worse than Czarnik or Rieder. I know players who aren't signed are not allowed like Kaprizov. I doubt Valimaki plays, I believe if he suits up he requires expansion protection.

Extras

Stone

Rieder

Rinaldo

Quine

Forbort

Yelesin

Gillies

Gawdin

Robinson

Kylington

On 5/26/2020 at 3:38 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

30 man Flames roster

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Gustafsson-Hamonic

Rittich/Talbot

Is Pelletier eligible to be part of the 30 man? I don't think he could be any worse than Czarnik or Rieder. I know players who aren't signed are not allowed like Kaprizov. I doubt Valimaki plays, I believe if he suits up he requires expansion protection.

Extras

Stone

Rieder

Rinaldo

Quine

Forbort

Yelesin

Gillies

Gawdin

Robinson

Kylington

Every Black Ace (on reserve roster) would be able to play.

CHL players are also availible with their season cancelled.

The new College kids wouldn't be.

I think a big thing this playoffs will be that there will be no fans, which bring a lot of motivation and energy to the players, so the players will need to find new ways to get that energy. Thats where guys like Lucic, Bennett, Rinaldo, and even Lomberg could play a big role.

Edit: I had Valimaki in my original roster, but changed it as I forgot that if he plays we will have to protect him in the expansion draft. It's better asset management to hold him out till next season.

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Bennett-Jankowski-Rinaldo

Rieder-Gawdin-Czarnik

Lomberg-Quine-Robinson

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Gustafsson-Hamonic

Forbort-Kylington

Yelesin-Stone

Rittich

Talbot

Gillies

Zagidulin

Parsons

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think a big thing this playoffs will be that there will be no fans, which bring a lot of motivation and energy to the players, so the players will need to find new ways to get that energy. Thats where guys like Lucic, Bennett, Rinaldo, and even Lomberg could play a big role.

Edit: I had Valimaki in my original roster, but changed it as I forgot that if he plays we will have to protect him in the expansion draft. It's better asset management to hold him out till next season.

Lucic-Ryan-Dube

Bennett-Jankowski-Rinaldo

Rieder-Gawdin-Czarnik

Lomberg-Quine-Robinson

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Gustafsson-Hamonic

Forbort-Kylington

Yelesin-Stone

Rittich

Talbot

Gillies

Zagidulin

Parsons

Will they still have the music on the background. Will the arena guy still say final minute of play in a period? Will they still have the Anthems? 

It would be weird for them, but any of us Beer Leaguers know that it's easy to get up for games without fans, so I am sure some of these guys will find a competitive gear to ride. Just gotta Be Like Mike! Compete in all situations! 

I get the reasoning behind not playing Valamaki, but I feel like the team has always said, if they can play and help the team, they'd deal with the ramifications of them playing later. So I think if Valamaki can help the team, he'll play. They may say that they want him in better shape and ready for next year? I dunno, it's a long time to not play any hockey either way. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I get the reasoning behind not playing Valamaki, but I feel like the team has always said, if they can play and help the team, they'd deal with the ramifications of them playing later. So I think if Valamaki can help the team, he'll play. They may say that they want him in better shape and ready for next year? I dunno, it's a long time to not play any hockey either way. 

I agree, I do think it'd be unlikely he plays due the depth, but if the injuries pile up get him in, also better to at least practice with the team.  In an ideal world the AHL would start at its usual timing and he can play games in October and step in with the Flames in December or whenever the 20-21 season starts.

Pre Trade deadline I would have said it would be tough to justify keeping Valimaki out of the lineup. Your only rationale would have been protecting him from the expansion draft. However, with the additions of Forbort and Gustafsson I think it's now pretty easy to justify not playing him for multiple reasons. Even if fully healthy with no layoff there is no guarantee he'd be one of the top 6. 

I don't see Valimaki playing but I do think he will be on the roster and available if injuries happen. I don't think they will hold him out and IMO they should not as it's not fair to the player.  

Archived