2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, I updated the post with that point.

I expected it might happen, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Dube may not play every game, but he only goes there if the Flames are eliminated.

Kylington is a waiver exempt casualty.

He's a known quantity over Forbort and better than Stone.

They send him down instead of Stone and it's just wrong.

But, hey it's business.

We like you, but we like the guy we bought out and re-signed for league minimum better because we don;t want to waive him.

Basically when it comes down to who do you eating popcorn in the pressbox, I would choose Stone over Kylington. When Giordano gets back we will have 8 defensemen, the choices are to carry 8 for the rest of the year or send Kylington down and keep him fresh and keep him playing.

At this point Forbort is a significant upgrade over Kylington, especially for our area weakness, the defensive zone.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Basically when it comes down to who do you eating popcorn in the pressbox, I would choose Stone over Kylington. When Giordano gets back we will have 8 defensemen, the choices are to carry 8 for the rest of the year or send Kylington down and keep him fresh and keep him playing.

At this point Forbort is a significant upgrade over Kylington, especially for our area weakness, the defensive zone.

That may or may not be the case.

Here's hoping Forbort is better.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Personally I think we need to see this play out. IMO, and if you look at analytics, this is not an accurate take.  Kylington has been their most improved Dman this year and in the last 25 games actually one of their better defenders, especially in his own zone. He has the 2nd best xGA/60 rating on the team in the last 25 games behind only Gio and has become really good at limiting the damage compared to his peers. 

For me I think it should be a battle but as of right now I would have Kylington>Forbort. If Forbot takes that then so be it but I don't thikn there is anything i've seen so far to give it to him without merit. 

Once Gio is back my preferred route would be :

Gio -Brodie

Hanifin - Ras

Kylington - Gustafsson. 

For now I think you have the run the pairs like you outlined them

Forbot - Brodie

Hanifin - Ras

Kylington - Gustafsson

I don't see another way just based on starts and player strengths. Personally I'd be tempted to swap Forbot and Kylington but Ward does not seem ready to do that but I would like to see the club throw something at Kylington and see how he does. Passing tests so far. 

Kylington Forbort.PNG

A little nugget that got dropped yesterday is that it sounds to me like the Flames are preparing to not have Valimaki for the rest of the year. 

At this point it's also the logical move as if he doesn't play he'll be ineligible for the expansion draft in 2021. 

Ya Geoff Ward can get lost already.

hey we finally have our former 4th overall pick playing great. so naturally we need to move him out of a position to succeed and bury him on the depth chart once again. 

Hey we have this developing young dman we took in the 2nd round so naturally we need to put in the journeyman we paid a draft pick for in the lineup over him. 

Stupid all around and such typical Flames. 

No surprise here:

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

hey we finally have our former 4th overall pick playing great. so naturally we need to move him out of a position to succeed and bury him on the depth chart once again. 

Hey we have this developing young dman we took in the 2nd round so naturally we need to put in the journeyman we paid a draft pick for in the lineup over him. 

No surprise here:

What a turkey.

Instead of trying to continue the momentum of Bennett playing at C, he moves him to Janko's wing.

And, my understanding of Gus playing with the top PP unit is that they will have 3F and 2D with Gio or Ras.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And I also agree that Kylington has been looking so much better of late.

He's been better than Stone and I don't get the desire to waste him again.

I'ts not even that I think Kylington has been fantastic. i think hes been good, but he's been developing and improving so why stop the trend?

It's also asset management. Flames need to be more aware of stuff like this and don't let what happen to Bennett happen again. if they are that down on Kylington then they should be trading him not putting him up in the press box. This is player that not only did they take in the 2nd round they gave up an additional draft pick to go up and get him. He is still young so this reaction is definitely more over the top then it needs to be, I just am not understanding the decision making here given hat they have invested in the player. 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Nice to see you angry at this stupidity. You're always one of the patient and analytical ones. lol

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'ts not even that I think Kylington has been fantastic. i think hes been good, but he's been developing and improving so why stop the trend?

It's also asset management. Flames need to be more aware of stuff like this and don't let what happen to Bennett happen again. if they are that down on Kylington then they should be trading him not putting him up in the press box. 

Yeah, I wasn't saying he was fantastic.  

Just that he has limited his gaffes and has been better reading the play.

My sarcastic replay to JTech last night kind of said how I felt about treating him.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I wasn't saying he was fantastic.  

Just that he has limited his gaffes and has been better reading the play.

My sarcastic replay to JTech last night kind of said how I felt about treating him.

I know you weren't, I just don't want to overrate my reaction. I'm clarifying that it's not like they are sitting a dman who is playing fantastic I just don't like they are sitting a dman who has shown some nice development this year. Especially when there is no evidence to suggest his replacement is better. 

Kylington is Brodie all over again. 90% of the game he's going to be safe, steady and boring but 10% of the time you are going to want him benched. Instead of focusing on the 90% I think many are focusing on the 10% with Kylington and it blurs the assessment of the player. Perhaps this is just not the type of dman some prefer, and that's a rationale and justifiable opinion as well. I'll admit I was not a fan of him as a prospect and still don't love everything about his game, but at the end of the day in the cap world you need to develop young, cheap, cost controlled assets and IMO the Flames have one here so you need to look past some warts (that are not as big a deal as some think anyway). 

Well by all accounts Bennett was looking good at C so demote him to the throwaway spot.

And we might as well throw in some adventure and have a D pairing that have never played together and our goalie knows as little about them as they know about him.

What could possibly go wrong?

Lotsa fun messages. Does anyone remember Czarnik. Injured, demoted, forgotten? Is that what happened?

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I was hearing this morning in order to get Gio back on the roster they likely have to Paper Kyllington back to Stockton , then do some shuffling 

That happened last night and they already recalled him and Dube.

They have exactly 2 more recalls available for the post-TDL period.

The "papering" of a player is just to have them on the AHL roster so they are eligible for playoffs. As TD says that already happened. 

After the trade deadline there is no longer a 23 man roster limit, it is unlimited so nothing needs to be done for Gio coming back. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

The "papering" of a player is just to have them on the AHL roster so they are eligible for playoffs. As TD says that already happened. 

After the trade deadline there is no longer a 23 man roster limit, it is unlimited so nothing needs to be done for Gio coming back. 

I wasn;t sure when the roster limit was removed.

But I did hear that there were only two regilar recalls left.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You would think I would know that by now.

The part about having Black Aces available for the playoffs is what got me.

Thought you had to wait till the end of the AHL season for that.

Ya I always get that mixed up..TDL opens the roster limit , playoffs have no cap 

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

I know you weren't, I just don't want to overrate my reaction. I'm clarifying that it's not like they are sitting a dman who is playing fantastic I just don't like they are sitting a dman who has shown some nice development this year. Especially when there is no evidence to suggest his replacement is better. 

Kylington is Brodie all over again. 90% of the game he's going to be safe, steady and boring but 10% of the time you are going to want him benched. Instead of focusing on the 90% I think many are focusing on the 10% with Kylington and it blurs the assessment of the player. Perhaps this is just not the type of dman some prefer, and that's a rationale and justifiable opinion as well. I'll admit I was not a fan of him as a prospect and still don't love everything about his game, but at the end of the day in the cap world you need to develop young, cheap, cost controlled assets and IMO the Flames have one here so you need to look past some warts (that are not as big a deal as some think anyway). 

i'll take Kylingtom and his potential and increasing play over hanafin's 20 foot no look drop pass to the forwards as he enters the offensive zone and waits for the play to pass him by any old day

11 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

i'll take Kylingtom and his potential and increasing play over hanafin's 20 foot no look drop pass to the forwards as he enters the offensive zone and waits for the play to pass him by any old day

I hope that Valimaki can elevate to 2nd pair by next fall.

Assuming we don;t sign Hamonic, we still don;t need Hanifin.

Gio-Brode

Valimaki-Ras

Kylington/Forbort-Gus

No pairing has to really be sheltered.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I hope that Valimaki can elevate to 2nd pair by next fall.

Assuming we don;t sign Hamonic, we still don;t need Hanifin.

Gio-Brode

Valimaki-Ras

Kylington/Forbort-Gus

No pairing has to really be sheltered.

Could the D being slotted properly be what this team needed? Or has the year been the fact that the F's are not coming back to play a team D concept? My biggest issues are sustainability of play, and the lack of team D, D breakdowns seemingly at the worst times and at the worst parts of the ice. I want to see team engagement nearly every game and for more than 35 minutes. I get asking for a 60 minute game is not possible, so I will settle for 35-40 minutes.

He took a lot of flak, most of it undeserved but that's life, but since moving back to center Mikael Backlund has really led the charge in this team turning the corner. 

5 goals and 10 points in 11 Games at 5 on 5. 8 Goals and 15 points in all situations. Both of those numbers lead the team. 

the new and improved 3M line has been absolutely crushing it. at 5 on 5:

60% Corsi For%

62% Fenwick For%

64% Shots For %

66% Expected goals for%

73% High danger chances for % (this is insane...)

With that line crushing it, it's allowed the Monahan line to reunite with some pretty good results as well, when they don't play with Michael Stone that is....

53% Corsi for%

53% Fenwick for%

47% Shots for%

57% Expected Goals for %

53% High danger chance for %

Add Stone to this, and almost all these numbers drop below 50%

Bennett at center has helped too, again without Stone. The Lucic, Bennett, Dube line at 5 on 5 without Stone

51% Corsi F%

46% Fenwick F%

46% Shots F%

51% Expected Goals F%

58% High danger Chances For %

Now Flames are only 6-5 good for 16th in the league during this span but again digging deeper. at 5 on 5

They are in the top half of the league for Corsi F, Fenwick f and shots for %.

9th in Goals for %

#1 in Expected goals for 

20th in Expected goals against

9th in expected goals for%

6th in High danger chances for%

4th best shooting %

3rd worst save %

They have warts there is no question so this is not me trying to tell anyone to believe in the team. This is pointing out that as things start to get slotted correctly they are seeing an improvement in their results. Some of it is likely temporary (Shooting % for example) but it's also not like the goaltending has been fantastic either. Those 2 things probably offset. 

The moral here is they need to get Stone out of the lineup and settle down defensively, because the offence has been a power since they got the lines together. If they can settle down defensively they have some promising trends here. 

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They have warts there is no question so this is not me trying to tell anyone to believe in the team. This is pointing out that as things start to get slotted correctly they are seeing an improvement in their results. Some of it is likely temporary (Shooting % for example) but it's also not like the goaltending has been fantastic either. Those 2 things probably offset. 

The moral here is they need to get Stone out of the lineup and settle down defensively, because the offence has been a power since they got the lines together. If they can settle down defensively they have some promising trends here. 

What you detailed kinda matches the eye test as well.

The top two lines have been so much better of late.

Stone is a bad choice in the lineup.

Backlund has turned a corner.

Bennett is better at C.

The PP is still a work in progress.

Archived