2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

On 2/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, JTech780 said:

To add to all this Sam Bennett talk, this is his 5th season in the NHL, he is on his 4th coach. It sure makes it hard to get your footing in the NHL when your organization has zero stability.

In terms of Bennett, I feel it will be hard to undo the damage , but it can be done ..

How we got to this point was a series of unfortunate events ..

1. His Play against Vancouver was probably the worst thing that could have happened .. we rushed him in the next season , should have let him dominate the A for awhile 

2. He had a good season , with Backlund , and we promptly never put him back with him because Tkachuk caught fire on that line 

3. we've played him with a bad supporting cast  and as a result he doesn't / didn't  get high enough minutes to be effective 

i think if they want to truly hit reset.. it starts with a top RW for the top line to replace Lindholm 

I would then play  Bennett with Lindholm and  Tkachuk.. get higher minutes , be in a more regular position to score and be involved while not regressing on what he already does well.. that puts him as well with 2 other players who can put the puck n the net so they can be more patient and not have the pressure to drive the line while he gets his scoring confidence back 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

In terms of Bennett, I feel it will be hard to undo the damage , but it can be done ..

How we got to this point was a series of unfortunate events ..

1. His Play against Vancouver was probably the worst thing that could have happened .. we rushed him in the next season , should have let him dominate the A for awhile 

2. He had a good season , with Backlund , and we promptly never put him back with him because Tkachuk caught fire on that line 

3. we've played him with a bad supporting cast  and as a result he doesn't / didn't  get high enough minutes to be effective 

i think if they want to truly hit reset.. it starts with a top RW for the top line to replace Lindholm 

I would then play  Bennett with Lindholm and  Tkachuk.. get higher minutes , be in a more regular position to score and be involved while not regressing on what he already does well.. that puts him as well with 2 other players who can put the puck n the net so they can be more patient and not have the pressure to drive the line while he gets his scoring confidence back 

What you suggest implies we move Backlund, because we don't need a 3rd line C making that much.

I think Bennett's spot in the lineup is done unless we move Backlund.

And that's a big risk, hoping that Bennett will become a Backlund.

I haven't seen a lot from him that says he is a smart player.

I have seen a lot of low percentage plays that he tries.

I don't see any breakneck speed.

It's like he has given up.

He would be good in STL, where grit is backed up with skill by 11 other forwards.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What you suggest implies we move Backlund, because we don't need a 3rd line C making that much.

I think Bennett's spot in the lineup is done unless we move Backlund.

And that's a big risk, hoping that Bennett will become a Backlund.

I haven't seen a lot from him that says he is a smart player.

I have seen a lot of low percentage plays that he tries.

I don't see any breakneck speed.

It's like he has given up.

He would be good in STL, where grit is backed up with skill by 11 other forwards.

Not at all, I've believed all along that Backlund as 3rd line center is ideal.. we've mixed a checking line as a 2nd line for so long and all its done is made us a one line team for the most part.. by moving him to 3rd line , and his focus being an elite shutdown center who has some offensive ability I think would elevate the danger of this team

I'd focus on moving Jankowski to clear the logjam

I think it was Rhett Warrener who always said this team will be a true contender the day Backlund gets pushed to 3rd line center 

I should clarify too , that is just what I feels a reset would need to look like.. personally I don't see him being reset here ..he and the team needs a fresh start..  and hearing that teams are always asking for him and BT won't give him away at least says we won't just dump him 

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

in STL, where grit is backed up with skill by 11 other forwards.

now there’s a team that has vision and builds to an identity. I don’t know if our scouts are able to see what some other teams see. 

I think it is fine to set Benny free. It will reset his career and break him from 4th overall shackles. I guess Bennett is our Yakupov. Too bad we miss-developed him. 

i fully agree with Phoenix. I’d have played him JR and A a year or two regardless of his Vancouver games.

our team is always in a rush and don’t want or need to develop guys. Although now they’re slower, but back then...

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not at all, I've believed all along that Backlund as 3rd line center is ideal.. we've mixed a checking line as a 2nd line for so long and all its done is made us a one line team for the most part.. by moving him to 3rd line , and his focus being an elite shutdown center who has some offensive ability I think would elevate the danger of this team

I'd focus on moving Jankowski to clear the logjam

I think it was Rhett Warrener who always said this team will be a true contender the day Backlund gets pushed to 3rd line center 

I should clarify too , that is just what I feels a reset would need to look like.. personally I don't see him being reset here ..he and the team needs a fresh start..  and hearing that teams are always asking for him and BT won't give him away at least says we won't just dump him 

Third line:

Lucic-Backlund-Dube, assuming you play Ryan on the 4th line.

$12m 3rd line.

Yikes.

Bennett's hockey IQ is less than Backlund's IMHO, and I'm not a huge Backlund fan.

He's good at what he does, and rarely makes many mistakes.

Not ideal to play with Tkachuk, but right now makes the most sense.

Bennett shows small flashes of a star, but they are so few and far between.

Right now, he is a depth player that can jump up at times.

Gaudreau/ Monahan/...........

Tkachuk/.................../Lindstrom

Bennett/backlund/dube

lucic/ryan/..............

........./Jankowski/ Mangiapane

.. this is how I see the line up.. Holes on every line except the third line which lacks experience but not effort.. usually..

Ronaldo and Reider don't belong on an NHL roster

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I have wanted this for the last few years, but like everything else this team, they don’t want to keep him there to get up to speed in the position and gain chemistry.

He hasn;t looked good there in the past.

A few good games is a good start.

Would prefer to see him with a LW other than Lucic to give a better look.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have thought that Bennett have shown some good chemistry together the last two games. I said it earlier but I would put Ryan with those two and see how that goes.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I actually disagree. At least the eye test for me says he’s been at least as good as Jankowski and he plays D like a C on plays coming our way. Ok, so he hasn’t looked great there, but what do you expect getting a game there for every 25th game of the season. C is a tough position to get used to yet they don’t wanna give him time to get Re-accustomed To it. And yet they only give him about 2 periods to try it out. 

basically it’s like his whole career, don’t leave him to play any position or line consistently. What do you get for it? Inconsistency 

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually disagree. At least the eye test for me says he’s been at least as good as Jankowski and he plays D like a C on plays coming our way. Ok, so he hasn’t looked great there, but what do you expect getting a game there for every 25th game of the season. C is a tough position to get used to yet they don’t wanna give him time to get Re-accustomed To it. And yet they only give him about 2 periods to try it out. 

basically it’s like his whole career, don’t leave him to play any position or line consistently. What do you get for it? Inconsistency 

You disagree that he hasn't looked good there in the past?

When was the last time he did look good there?

I can;t remember any this year.

Mostly because he's been a LW or RW exclusively.

And that was my point.

He looks good there in two games in a row, improve his linemates.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You disagree that he hasn't looked good there in the past?

When was the last time he did look good there?

I can;t remember any this year.

Mostly because he's been a LW or RW exclusively.

And that was my point.

He looks good there in two games in a row, improve his linemates.

he played there for like a period or two this year in a game and I thought looked fine, not great.  But then suddenly he wasn’t there anymore. So how can he gain any momentum if he only gets a period to show what he can do? Or even only two?

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

he played there for like a period or two this year in a game and I thought looked fine, not great.  But then suddenly he wasn’t there anymore. So how can he gain any momentum if he only gets a period to show what he can do? Or even only two?

I think we agree in what we are saying.

I'm just pointing out that he hadn't played there much and looked good in the last couple of games.

Give him a better player than Lucic.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think we agree in what we are saying.

I'm just pointing out that he hadn't played there much and looked good in the last couple of games.

Give him a better player than Lucic.

yes,

and I think Lindholm has a point when he said, “if you’re going to try me there, give me a longer look than a Period or a game or so.”

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yes,

and I think Lindholm has a point when he said, “if you’re going to try me there, give me a longer look than a Period or a game or so.”

Just don;t expect Bennett to stay in the same spot once Ryan comes back.

He's liable to get 4C or 4LW.

Doesn;t mean it's right.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just don;t expect Bennett to stay in the same spot once Ryan comes back.

He's liable to get 4C or 4LW.

Doesn;t mean it's right.

I fully expect that he won’t stay there. But that’s how they’ve handled him to this point so u don’t expect there to be any change.

Glenn Gawdin was sent back down to Stockton. Makes sense with Ryan returning by Friday. With the Heat looking to be one of the top teams in the league, may as well have Gawdin down there and leading the way as opposed to sitting in the press box here.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Glenn Gawdin was sent back down to Stockton. Makes sense with Ryan returning by Friday. With the Heat looking to be one of the top teams in the league, may as well have Gawdin down there and leading the way as opposed to sitting in the press box here.

That's kinda a waste if you ask me.

He's no worse than a Rinaldo or Robinson alailable.

Maybe some year we can actually use younger prospects that have earned it over fringe NHL players.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe some year we can actually use younger prospects that have earned it over fringe NHL players.

Yeah, when are they ever going to give guys like Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Jankowski a chance to play in the NHL...

Gawdin will be better served getting top line minutes on one of the best teams in the AHL, vs getting 4th line minutes with the Flames.

50 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, when are they ever going to give guys like Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Jankowski a chance to play in the NHL...

Gawdin will be better served getting top line minutes on one of the best teams in the AHL, vs getting 4th line minutes with the Flames.

I think the same way. Why play our prospects that we want to groom into top6 8 minutes a night, or possibly less when they make mistakes. We’ve seen it with Bennett. I wonder if Jankowski could’ve used another year in the AHL. I think it was probably the right time, but I feel like if we want players to play top 6, play them the Top6 Min in the A. You play them in the bottom6, i think on a rare occasion they play their way to top6.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Could also be a bit of a bonus for him. He gets his NHL paycheque while he's up, which is roughly 10x what he makes in the AHL, plus he gets to practice with the big club. 

Love. 

Gawdin was up because Backs was sick And was a game time decision on Monday. Needed a center. 

I also agree it’s better to have gawdin in the A than up here. Sure I don’t like watching Rinaldo or Reider either, but I also don’t think you develop people in 4th line roles. Flames seem to finally have grown out of that model

Archived