2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately, this.  We can't trade any D.  We have a legit chance to make it to the Conference Finals.  

Well, our "stellar D" isn't keeping teams from getting shots and scoring goals on our MVP goalie and stud backup.

We are barely outscoring teams right now.

Perhaps we can get a decent scoring forward without trading a D.

Perhaps we can get a good defensive forward to help the hapless D when they are unable to clear the zone.

I think we need scoring and a decent depth defender that can play next to Hanifin if need be.

It sounds like Josh Anderson is available.

Maybe not dynamic like he was last year, but he could be the guy that replaces Bennett and can play top 6.

If not him, there are others, but they might cost a bot more.

JTec mentioned Pysyk some time ago, who can also play F.

Not a bad player.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Buddy Robinson has looked decent.  I was worried he'd be too slow for a 6'-6" guy but he's not.  He doesn't have a lot of tools but he knows how to keep possession of the puck and look for an outlet pass.  

So far I say he's a keeper.

I think he would be okay with someone like Backlund and Bennett.

I found it hard figuring out ehat the lines were at times.

Mangiapane with Bennett for one goal.

Mangiapane with Lindy and Tkachuk for another.

Buddy might just be the right guy for Bennett, at least someone that can pass to him.

That said, we need a RW.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think he would be okay with someone like Backlund and Bennett.

I found it hard figuring out ehat the lines were at times.

Mangiapane with Bennett for one goal.

Mangiapane with Lindy and Tkachuk for another.

Buddy might just be the right guy for Bennett, at least someone that can pass to him.

That said, we need a RW.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

On the 4th line I could live with Robinson. I haven’t been that impressed but in a limited role it’s fine

him being part of the top 6 let alone the top line is a big head scratcher for me. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

At 1/8th the cost Robinson was way better with JG and Mony than Backlund.

We need Lucic off the top line.

From what I can see, Robinson has been better on the RW than Backlund, Bennett, and Lucic.  

Lucic is snail slow.

Bennett wanders aimlessly.  Or worse, Robinson makes the play that a guy sitting on his couch watching the TV wants to see... the basic/obvious play.  When Bennett has a man wide open in the slot, he immediately enters pump-fake-shot mode and then attempts the pass after the opportunity has already passed him by.  Why why why?!  Then he F-s up the pass because he tries to make something simple so complicated.  Hard passes when a soft one would do and vice versa.  How many times has Bennett beaten a guy only for him to make one move too many to deny himself?  It's so refreshing to see Robinson make the simple play.

Backlund is so guilty of this too.  Tries to pick the corners with a perfect shot when that's usually reserved for coming in from a bad angle.  When he's wide open in the slot, he'll sail it a foot over the net.  Like yesteryday, tries to deke the D 1-on-1 when he's on a 2-on-1.  Come on, why why why?

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

From what I can see, Robinson has been better on the RW than Backlund, Bennett, and Lucic.  

Lucic is snail slow.

Bennett wanders aimlessly.  Or worse, Robinson makes the play that a guy sitting on his couch watching the TV wants to see... the basic/obvious play.  When Bennett has a man wide open in the slot, he immediately enters pump-fake-shot mode and then attempts the pass after the opportunity has already passed him by.  Why why why?!  Then he F-s up the pass because he tries to make something simple so complicated.  Hard passes when a soft one would do and vice versa.  How many times has Bennett beaten a guy only for him to make one move too many to deny himself?  It's so refreshing to see Robinson make the simple play.

Backlund is so guilty of this too.  Tries to pick the corners with a perfect shot when that's usually reserved for coming in from a bad angle.  When he's wide open in the slot, he'll sail it a foot over the net.  Like yesteryday, tries to deke the D 1-on-1 when he's on a 2-on-1.  Come on, why why why?

not that Bennett has figured it out, he has two nice assists to Jankowski and to Mangiapane.

I think he has it in him. I almost think he is a product of trying too hard. It blurs things and doesn’t allow him to think the game or allow it to come naturally. In the process he over thinks the game I think he tries to push it too often. He has the skill to allow it to happen but he just doesn’t do that.

Just now, robrob74 said:

not that Bennett has figured it out, he has two nice assists to Jankowski and to Mangiapane.

I think he has it in him. I almost think he is a product of trying too hard. It blurs things and doesn’t allow him to think the game or allow it to come naturally. In the process he over thinks the game I think he tries to push it too often. He has the skill to allow it to happen but he just doesn’t do that.

Frustrating for sure.  Feels like someone has coached him with the mindset that, "every shift on the ice is an opportunity to accomplish something spectacular and unforgettable."  And he took it literally.  Great line for a movie but not practical in reality.  Not everyday at the office is an opportunity to do something worthy of legend.  In fact, 99% of the time, just don't screw up.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I don't want to see Bennett, Backlund or Lucic ever on RW in the top 6.

Mangiapane and Ryan are about the two most capable RW we have.

Frankly, I am frustrated with Lucic in the top 9.

Playing Dube with him has killed Dube's offense.

I'm sure we could construct a better bottom 6.

Need to get a RW.

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

On the 4th line I could live with Robinson. I haven’t been that impressed but in a limited role it’s fine

him being part of the top 6 let alone the top line is a big head scratcher for me. 

I get what you are saying, but for me he has looked better than pretty much anyone else with Gaudreau and Monahan. I don't think Robinson playing on that line is a long term solution, but I think he does a few things well for that line. He uses his size and reach well to get in on the forecheck and turnover pucks, I think that's something that line has missed since Lindholm switched to center. He keeps things simple, he skates in straight lines and goes hard to the net. He is a better skater and passer than I thought he would be.

He isn't the perfect solution and if we can acquire someone better for cheap than I am on board, but for now I would keep him up there.

I am starting to realize that the Gaudreau and Monahan line do better when they have a player who plays in straight lines and forechecks hard.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I get what you are saying, but for me he has looked better than pretty much anyone else with Gaudreau and Monahan. I don't think Robinson playing on that line is a long term solution, but I think he does a few things well for that line. He uses his size and reach well to get in on the forecheck and turnover pucks, I think that's something that line has missed since Lindholm switched to center. He keeps things simple, he skates in straight lines and goes hard to the net. He is a better skater and passer than I thought he would be.

He isn't the perfect solution and if we can acquire someone better for cheap than I am on board, but for now I would keep him up there.

I am starting to realize that the Gaudreau and Monahan line do better when they have a player who plays in straight lines and forechecks hard.

I know what you mean man.  I don't know what it is but maybe because Robinson is a simple North-South player that it makes Johnny's game more simple when it's already so complex.  It's like giving him two Monahans to work with.

The way he plays, you can't tell if he changed jerseys with Jankowski and just went out there and did their things.  Robinson has the RHS and that's about the only difference.  So far, he's using his size and reach very well.  In some cases, he uses his size to buy time to find an open receiver which is an attribute hardly anyone else on the team has.

It's early but so far so good.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:37 AM, JTech780 said:

From time to time as a spark fine. Full time in a top 6 role and not adjusting as the game goes on is IMO a really poor decision.  Count me skeptical a 28 year old journeyman with 3 career NHL points is going to spark your 2 best offensive players. 

The Flames for sure need a forechecker on that line i've long thought that and it's why I liked Ferland on the line. Being able to both dump the puck in and cycle and Score off the rush is what would make that line dangerous again. For too long now they've been a bit of a one tricky pony in that they are mostly a rush line. The score off the rush aamong the best in the NHL but they don't cycle. I think teams started last year defending them off the rush and it's limited their opportunities. 

So i agree with the skill set need I just don't see Robinson providing it. Getting the puck is great but if you can't do anything with it the value drops. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

From time to time as a spark fine. Full time in a top 6 role and not adjusting as the game goes on is IMO a really poor decision.  Count me skeptical a 28 year old journeyman with 3 career NHL points is going to spark your 2 best offensive players. 

The Flames for sure need a forechecker on that line i've long thought that and it's why I liked Ferland on the line. Being able to both dump the puck in and cycle and Score off the rush is what would make that line dangerous again. For too long now they've been a bit of a one tricky pony in that they are mostly a rush line. The score off the rush aamong the best in the NHL but they don't cycle. I think teams started last year defending them off the rush and it's limited their opportunities. 

So i agree with the skill set need I just don't see Robinson providing it. Getting the puck is great but if you can't do anything with it the value drops. 

It's working though.

What I like most about Robinson is he's treating these games as a once in a lifetime opportunity and he's being himself.

Far too often, you try a new guy with Gaudreau and they become star struck.  Whether it's Backlund, Czarnik, Bennett, Lucic, etc they force passes to Gaudreau when there are better options.  I see Robinson playing like he doesn't care who is on his line.  He trusts Gaudreau will read him rather than trying to read Gaudreau.

If we can find a player with a better set of tools, then sure.  But right now, he's our best option.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's working though.

What I like most about Robinson is he's treating these games as a once in a lifetime opportunity and he's being himself.

Far too often, you try a new guy with Gaudreau and they become star struck.  Whether it's Backlund, Czarnik, Bennett, Lucic, etc they force passes to Gaudreau when there are better options.  I see Robinson playing like he doesn't care who is on his line.  He trusts Gaudreau will read him rather than trying to read Gaudreau.

If we can find a player with a better set of tools, then sure.  But right now, he's our best option.

I kind of wish we tried to buy low on Virtanen. Are there any other guys like that out there? Speed, size, hands and a north south guy? 

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's working though.

is it?

That line has 1 EV goal in 3 games and Flames re 1-1-1 and really should be more like 0-3. I don't see it as working. 

16 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Is it time to try Czarnik again? He's on a tear down in the AHL right now.  Swap him with Reider, what's the worst that can happen?

The only thing is, Rieder is killing penalties. 

I dont know if I like him anymore than the idea of Czarnik. The only objection with Czarnik is his size. I get that size isn't everything, but I am finding the Flames are having a hard time finding open ice out there. Is that execution, or part of the size factor? Having to fight through guys and being smaller tends to be harder on smaller players.

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

is it?

That line has 1 EV goal in 3 games and Flames re 1-1-1 and really should be more like 0-3. I don't see it as working. 

Robinson has a 59.5% SCF% and a 73.3% HDSCF%, looks to me like he generating plenty of chances.

26 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Is it time to try Czarnik again? He's on a tear down in the AHL right now.  Swap him with Reider, what's the worst that can happen?

Rinaldo should go down before Reider. Reider at least brings speed, skill and PK ability to the table. Rinaldo brings physical play, but is a negative to the team in every other single other way.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Rinaldo should go down before Reider. Reider at least brings speed, skill and PK ability to the table. Rinaldo brings physical play, but is a negative to the team in every other single other way.

See, I think we should keep Rinaldo as he brings something the team lacks in hits. I think he plays better than a lot think. But it might be that that's the game I tend to value. I find that skill is great. But skill with no work ethic tends to be just as bad is the Rinaldos of the world. WHich I am finding is happening with most of the team. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

See, I think we should keep Rinaldo as he brings something the team lacks in hits. I think he plays better than a lot think. But it might be that that's the game I tend to value. I find that skill is great. But skill with no work ethic tends to be just as bad is the Rinaldos of the world. WHich I am finding is happening with most of the team. 

I am absolutely fine with physical play, and I would like to see more of it as well. The problem with Rinaldo is that he can't do anything but hit, he is terrible defensively and offensively. You also need to be able to play the game and Rinaldo can't.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am absolutely fine with physical play, and I would like to see more of it as well. The problem with Rinaldo is that he can't do anything but hit, he is terrible defensively and offensively. You also need to be able to play the game and Rinaldo can't.

I know stats don’t always tell the story, but doesn’t Rinaldo have just 4 points less yet in nearly 30 games less? I guess the PK ability says more. 

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I feel like RInaldo has a place, but doesn;t need to be on the roster full time.

Call him up for a game or two.

Keep him down in the HAL until then.

Call up someone usefull that you can sub in when you need another RHS.

Or who is actually consistent in the AHL.

Let's face it, once we trade for a RW, the roster movement will be slim.

Archived