2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would not peg Mangiapane as a guy who could be a consistent 60-70 point guy no. I do however think he’s got a really good complimentary skill set and can be part of a top line especially 5 on 5. Just needs to be the right fit. 

That's fair. 

I think it's also time to give Gaudreau and Monahan primarily offensive zone starts, I would go as high as 70-75%. So far this year they have been absolutely terrible in their own end and to a degree it is effecting their offense. Just play them in the offensive zone where they are able to control the game a bit more. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I’m not sure top 6 because personally I’d do this :

Gaudreau -Monahan- Mangiapane 

Tkachuk- Backlund - Lindholm 

Dube - Ryan- Bennett. 

I really want to see Peters give Mangiapane a shot up there. Mangiapane brings speed and some tenacity so he can win those battles on the weak side when Gaudreau is getting doubled entering the zone. 

I would love to see this.

Mangiapane isn;t afraid to go to the net, and he has a knack of being open.

His one-timer is pretty deadly, and it's coming at less of an angle.

He's a top 6 talent that needs some time to fit in with his linemates, but Gaudreau's passing is deadly.

Your 3rd line could be any of a number of setups.  

All can play C.

Bennett can play RW or LW.

I would use Dube at C and Ryan at RW, and for strong side draws.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That's fair. 

I think it's also time to give Gaudreau and Monahan primarily offensive zone starts, I would go as high as 70-75%. So far this year they have been absolutely terrible in their own end and to a degree it is effecting their offense. Just play them in the offensive zone where they are able to control the game a bit more. 

Babying them may not be the best solution though, when I'd say the biggest thing we need is character. imo

It comes from the leaders. Quit whining in excuses and figure it out.

Lead. Stop pouting.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Babying them may not be the best solution though, when I'd say the biggest thing we need is character. imo

It comes from the leaders. Quit whining in excuses and figure it out.

Lead. Stop pouting.

Maybe, but we need then to produce offense that's how they help the team. They aren't leaders in the same way a O'Reilly or Bergeron are. 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Maybe, but we need then to produce offense that's how they help the team. They aren't leaders in the same way a O'Reilly or Bergeron are. 

But JG has to lead like them. Be the bigger man. It affects the teams mindset. imo He's being too negative and it's not a good vibe. Maybe I'm wrong?

There can't be a fight every time he feels undone by. Dude, just focus on the game, not your perceived injustices. JG, we kinda need you to just be the hockey player.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But JG has to lead like them. Be the bigger man. It affects the teams mindset. imo He's being too negative and it's not a good vibe. Maybe I'm wrong?

There can't be a fight every time he feels undone by. Dude, just focus on the game, not your perceived injustices. JG, we kinda need you to just be the hockey player.

100% agree. 
your best and most skilled player is almost always a leader be default, whether they want to be or not. Gaudreau has yet to learn this imo. 

21 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I don't understand why Quine was sent down instead of Jankowski.  Quine is playing as well as Jankowski.  If they send Jankowski down and keep Quine in the press box the Flames save a few bucks towards the cap.  Jankowski can go work on his game.  It's a win-win.  

Couple of reasons.

Quine reached the number of games where he had to go down or be waived again.

Janko is waiver eligble.

Yes, he might get claimed.

Maybe not, but I don;t think they have given up on his "value".

I think it’s time to move GH to another line..

id like to see:

Tachuck/Monahan/Bennet

GH/Lindholm/Mange 

mix and match theses guys till you get something clicking...but the top line needs to be shuffled a lot, especially GH, they moved Monly, and lindy a few times same results...gotta thing GH May be the common thing here being as he has been the constant on the top line and it’s still not producing...simple math I think? 

I still wanna see

Tkachuk, Lindholm, xxx

but then I bet that 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, xxx
would work too. 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Bennett, Monahan, Ryan

Dube, Backlund, Frolik

Lucic, Jankowski, Reider

Tkachuk already plays RW on the PP.

i would almost rather play Monahan as a winger myself...

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I still wanna see

Tkachuk, Lindholm, xxx

but then I bet that 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, xxx
would work too. 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Bennett, Monahan, Ryan

Dube, Backlund, Frolik

Lucic, Jankowski, Reider

Tkachuk already plays RW on the PP.

i would almost rather play Monahan as a winger myself...

Mmm interesting...mony at RW would be interesting:

Bennett/Backlund/Mony that could be a deadly unit with Backlund’s ability to hold and control the puck...Bennett forechecking, could open lots of room for Mony 

but this is the idea, mix and match and see how guys click cause they are not so far this year so something needs to change and I’d rather they do it internally then trades 

although it’s kinda a rough year on D two top d’s down early in the season is not good and then Hammer not playing to his normal level...make no wonder we are not scoring all our guys on the D usually set up our offence valimaki and Brodes were good for that 

There seems to be some fundamental issues with the roster construction this season.

We have only really swapped out a few players, but the lines are not working right now.

Lucic is not the reason why we are losing, but he presents a problem trying to put together a lineup.

Hathaway is missed, but he isn't the reason why we are failing.

The PP is stagnant.

The same players, the same tired movements, the same strategy.  Every time.

Backlund is playing like he's hurt.

Monahan's shot is gone.

Janko, Bennett and Frolik are well below last year's numbers.

Something needs to change.

Gio's leadership?

Dunno, everyone seems to respect him.

He doesn't seem to be able to drag the team with him.

Then again, his PP work leads a lot to be desired.

Maybe this is simply a case of players slumping at the exact same time.

As Peters alluded to, people grip the stick too tight, pass to early instead of shooting or shoot instead of passing.

They play their best when they are having fun.

Score a goal, celly time.

It's infectious.

Go on a slump, no fun.

Get down on yourself, blame something.

It's infectious.

There is probably a connection between their 5v5 shooting % and the lack of high danger shots.

Gaudreau, for instance, is taking a lot of low percentage shots because he's gripping the stick and firing at will.

How many goals has he scored from the end of the rink, almost at the goal line, from a bad angle?

Too many.

He's not comfortable with cutting in or trying a wrap-around.

Backlund is a different case.

Most of the times he's missed open nets or gets a decent semi-breakaway, they don't even count as shots.

If he starts burying these chances, this should cause his % to increase.

Monahan is usually (it seems) trying to shoot through two players' sticks.

Very little velocity when that happens. 

Once they get the head games out of the way, they should start scoring more.

Or another reason could simply be the growing pains of a great team if you Consider team like Stl, Col for example they were on the verge a few times in the past 5 years had great seasons got bounced early in the playoff, missed the playoffs had horrible starts last season and just made it in last year but were dominating and one even won the cup.

it could be this is our “workOmg and figuring it out year” 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Bit surprised this isn't Lomberg but no surprise at this move. 

They used Rinaldo on the PK in training camp, with Rieder going down I think that's why Rinaldo comes up over Lomberg, add that to the experience factor.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Can't say I hate this idea. Gaudreau and Lindholm could use a player that can control possession and keep the puck going in the right direction more often than not.

Strangely enough, Mangiapane with Backlund and Tkachuk was producing good results for the latter two.

But, I am okay with looking at other options.

Mangiapane will spark Monahan perhaps.

At worst, he can build some chemistry with Lindholm.

As much as I want to see Dube play more minutes, I don't think Rayn and Lucic is the best use for him.

Would rather they use him with Janko and Frolik.

Or perhaps:

Lucic-Janko-Rinaldo

Dube-Ryan-Frolik

A shift-disturber line and a skilled, speedy line.

Oh crap, I just realized that Stone is on the 2nd pairing with Hanifin.

🤐

Also noticed that Ras is off the PP.

Hanifin is the D and Mangiapane is in Ras' spot.

I guess they want to limit his minutes.

More concerned about the PK.

Stone is very stationary, but hard on the player.

Beyond Gio, the depth on the PK is not great.

I like that top line. Backlund has had some ups and down this season but for the most part has been putting himself in good positions to get chances they just haven't gone in. The trouble i'm seeing with Monahan is he is not getting those chances on a consistent enough basis which limits what Johnny can do. 

Archived