2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Johnny Gaudreau is tied for 84th in 5v5 scoring and Sean Monahan is tied for 140th. Last season they were 6th and 15th respectively.

Need more from those two.

holy! So that means they are getting more points on the PP than they are 5v5. 

I think they need to try new things. Other teams have been really keying on them more now., I don’t think it’s a slump as much as other teams know how to shut them down. It was kinda why I thought last year’s mid year, games 20-55, were troubling. If you stop them, you stop the Flames. 

we need deeper scoring, and then to get going. Right now the deeper is ok, but Tkachuk can’t do it on his own.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flames have recalled Oliver Kylington and put Valimaki on LTIR.

It will be interesting to see how they run the pairings this weekend.

Giordano-Hanonic

Hanifin-Andersson

Davidson-Kylington

That's the way I would go. Maybe get a long look at Kylington on his off side to see if that is something he can do going forward.

This sucks for Mangiapane and while I understand it I don't like giving up on that line so quick. A bounce or two and that line wins you the Dallas game. 

And based on that sure looks like Kylington-Stone is your 3rd pairing which I like. Those 2 have been solid in the past. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This sucks for Mangiapane and while I understand it I don't like giving up on that line so quick. A bounce or two and that line wins you the Dallas game. 

And based on that sure looks like Kylington-Stone is your 3rd pairing which I like. Those 2 have been solid in the past. 

Mangiapane was not a problem in the Dallas game.

He and Tkachuk misses connecting on a few plays, but he also came close to scoring a typical Mangiapane goal.

I was not impressed with the 3rd or 4th line, so putting Mangiapane down there is as much getting them going.

I think it's wrong, but what do I know.

As far as the D goes, Gio-Andersson is the only solution at present.

Hamonic needs to get back to last year's results with Hanifin.

I would prefer to see Davidson-Kylington, but that's not likely.

It is more mobile and perhaps better defensively.

TBH, my view of Davidson was based on limited viewing as an Oiler.

He was not the problem with their defense.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am curious to see how they roll the goalies this weekend.

I would go with Talbot on Saturday and Rittich on Sunday.

That makes the most sense.

Talbot was a stud aganst Dallas, and need to give him the best chance to win.

Rittich behind a tired team doesn't worry me.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That makes the most sense.

Talbot was a stud aganst Dallas, and need to give him the best chance to win.

Rittich behind a tired team doesn't worry me.

Playing Talbot against the lower scoring team in Arizona would help build his confidence. Also rewarding him for strong play against Dallas would help.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Flames have recalled Oliver Kylington and put Valimaki on LTIR.

It will be interesting to see how they run the pairings this weekend.

Giordano-Hanonic

Hanifin-Andersson

Davidson-Kylington

That's the way I would go. Maybe get a long look at Kylington on his off side to see if that is something he can do going forward.

I like these D-pairs. I'm of the opinion that fluid skaters tend to do well on their off side.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Dube didn't play for Stockton tonight. Wonder if we will see him in Vegas tomorrow.

He had a rough night Friday, so I think it was a healthy scratch.

A struggling Dube is the last thing this team needs right now.

The best forward to graduate from the Heat is one of our smaller players; Mangiapane.

The best forward on the Heat right now is Phillips.

Smaller than Johnny.

Not afraid of bigger players.

Attacks the net.

I would suggest that the 3M line is washed up this season.

It hasn;t been consistent.

One of them takes a penalty EVERY games, and they are not "good" penalties.

Mangiapane looked good but was dropped when he failed to score on a couple of chances.

To top it off, the 4th line has been a "don't score on me" line.

Is not generating enough offense, though I can't blame it all on ex-Oilers.

Janko has been off.

Bring up Gawdin and sit Janko or Rieder for a game or two.

See what a RHS can do to help.

I don;t see Rieder or Lucic scoring in the present configuration.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He had a rough night Friday, so I think it was a healthy scratch.

A struggling Dube is the last thing this team needs right now.

The best forward to graduate from the Heat is one of our smaller players; Mangiapane.

The best forward on the Heat right now is Phillips.

Smaller than Johnny.

Not afraid of bigger players.

Attacks the net.

I would suggest that the 3M line is washed up this season.

It hasn;t been consistent.

One of them takes a penalty EVERY games, and they are not "good" penalties.

Mangiapane looked good but was dropped when he failed to score on a couple of chances.

To top it off, the 4th line has been a "don't score on me" line.

Is not generating enough offense, though I can't blame it all on ex-Oilers.

Janko has been off.

Bring up Gawdin and sit Janko or Rieder for a game or two.

See what a RHS can do to help.

I don;t see Rieder or Lucic scoring in the present configuration.

I don't think Dube has been struggling, he has 13 points in 13 games and his a +2 on the season. He was a -3 on Friday so maybe he was a healthy scratch.

I wouldn't mind if Phillips was brought up, but I don't think he has been better than Dube, Phillips has 15 points in 15 games but is a -4.

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think Dube has been struggling, he has 13 points in 13 games and his a +2 on the season. He was a -3 on Friday so maybe he was a healthy scratch.

I wouldn't mind if Phillips was brought up, but I don't think he has been better than Dube, Phillips has 15 points in 15 games but is a -4.

Just going by what a blogger that watches every Heat game talks about.

Dube was not as impactul in pre-season as Phillips was.

That doesn;t mean much, but I would have expected Dube to be leading the team in scoring.

Phillips is a goal scorer that we don;t know how it translates in the NHL.

Dube struggled last year in the NHL.

I think they want to see him dominate before he gets the call.

Like the Dube recall. They need a shot in the arm and Dube can play both a skill and an aggressor style game. 

the short turnaround didn’t make it possible but I would be calling up Lomberg too. Flames just need a few people that get emotionally engaged right away. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Like the Dube recall. They need a shot in the arm and Dube can play both a skill and an aggressor style game. 

the short turnaround didn’t make it possible but I would be calling up Lomberg too. Flames just need a few people that get emotionally engaged right away. 

I like it too, I think we really use his energy and his speed.

I would put him on the 2nd line with Tkachuk and Backlund. Doesn't make sense to call him up and put him on the 4th line.

I am guessing that Quine would be the guy sent down.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like it too, I think we really use his energy and his speed.

I would put him on the 2nd line with Tkachuk and Backlund. Doesn't make sense to call him up and put him on the 4th line.

I am guessing that Quine would be the guy sent down.

I’m not sure top 6 because personally I’d do this :

Gaudreau -Monahan- Mangiapane 

Tkachuk- Backlund - Lindholm 

Dube - Ryan- Bennett. 

I really want to see Peters give Mangiapane a shot up there. Mangiapane brings speed and some tenacity so he can win those battles on the weak side when Gaudreau is getting doubled entering the zone. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dube - Ryan- Bennett. 

I really want to see Peters give Mangiapane a shot up there. Mangiapane brings speed and some tenacity so he can win those battles on the weak side when Gaudreau is getting doubled entering the zone. 

Totally agree to give Mangiapane a shot on the first line. Speed to speed with JG like you say. BP is reluctant to try everything, it seems. And when he tries something new he gives it no leash at all.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Totally agree to give Mangiapane a shot on the first line. Speed to speed with JG like you say. BP is reluctant to try everything, it seems. And when he tries something new he gives it no leash at all.

I suspect it’s because Lindholm handles so much defensive responsibility for the other two. I can understand the hesitation but feel your to the point now where you’ve got to try everything 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dube - Ryan- Bennett. 

I am not against trying Mangiapane up there, I am just not sure that he has the offensive chops to handle playing on the top line. Don't get me wrong I really like Mangiapane, but I think his game translates more to a 3rd liner.

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I suspect it’s because Lindholm handles so much defensive responsibility for the other two. I can understand the hesitation but feel your to the point now where you’ve got to try everything 

Where's my OHL line of Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett?

That's 2 years ago I brought that up. Not saying it'll work, but it's never been tried, ever. Why? Call it slow, but skilled guys tend to dictate pace as well as fast, lesser skilled.

With the added bonus that it gives Bennett a REAL roster spot, not constant shenanigans. That BP might try for 28 hrs. lol

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am not against trying Mangiapane up there, I am just not sure that he has the offensive chops to handle playing on the top line. Don't get me wrong I really like Mangiapane, but I think his game translates more to a 3rd liner.

I would not peg Mangiapane as a guy who could be a consistent 60-70 point guy no. I do however think he’s got a really good complimentary skill set and can be part of a top line especially 5 on 5. Just needs to be the right fit. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

You don't know if you don't try, is my issue. Perhaps he's a DeBrincat, who wouldn't have had that shot in this org, I'd argue. Everyone has to come up through the 4th line in Calgary, it would seem.

Archived