Rasmus Andersson

conundrumed

3rd year with the org.

$756,000 per through next year.

What more could you ask from a 2015 2nd, 53rd overall?

I like his exit interview from last year. Doesn't look comfortable talking about himself, taking nothing for granted,

And looks like he'd be playing drums for a grunge band. lol

Nothing about this guy that I don't like, and he's only getting better.

At about 1:30 in this clip, "well, it's my 2nd year and I'm getting more comfortable".

Sounds yummy.

I dedicate this thread to td...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks Conumdrumed for starting this.

Your last post in the Prospect Thread made me want to start one.

He deserves some love from us fans.

No doubt.

You went MIA, would prolly Blockchain it up anyway, so it's dedicated to you boss. lol

This is some rookie dman. He's not rocking the points YET, but he's some player finding his way.

A big hit for a late 2nd for us. For sure.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's not rocking the points YET, but he's some player finding his way

May not be getting the points. but there have been quite a few times I've seen goals happen because of a play he made but didn't get the point on it (earlier in the season I saw him make a hit, Lindholm collected the puck and scored. No point for Ras, but that goal doesn't happen without him either).

When Andersson was first drafted, he was said to be like a Dennis Wideman.  

Wideman had his ups and downs as a Flames with spotty defense but posted a 56-point season at one time.  Generally speaking, he was a decent second pairing RHS RD who could excel on the PP with his heavy shot and offensive play making.  His down fall was his shut down abilities.  Plus, from what i can remember, he had conditioning issues.

Andersson's conditioning was called into question last season but from what i can tell, he's in great condition.  It's past the halfway point of the season and he still looks to have a lot of energy out there.  He seems to be able to enter burst mode at the push of a button and doesn't slow down as a game progresses.  I think that's one of his greatest attributes... his ability to enter high gear when the situation calls for it.  He's not a one gear guy playing economically like a lot of players in the NHL.  He gives you the burst of speed when needed.

Moreover, he's smart defensively and plays sound X's and O's.  It's pretty apparent that his hockey IQ is fairly high in all situations.  His limiting factor is he gets out sized but that's not his fault.  His shot seems decent but not overwhelming.  He can carry the puck through the neutral zone very well and has great vision doing it.

Yes, there are some rookie mistakes in his game but he's looking good and it's exciting to imagine how good he can be in 3 to 5 years when he hits his prime.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Moreover, he's smart defensively and plays sound X's and O's.  It's pretty apparent that his hockey IQ is fairly high in all situations.  His limiting factor is he gets out sized but that's not his fault.  His shot seems decent but not overwhelming.  He can carry the puck through the neutral zone very well and has great vision doing it.

IIRC, his slapper was pegged at something like 104.

He rarely lets it go full throttle, though.

He is a puck-carrying D-man, that can seem to walk in without concern.

He never tris to do too much, which shows him ability to understand what is going on around him.

What is not being exploted is his PP QB ability.

That was his role in Stockton and he just needs a bit more confidence to do it well in the NHL.

For whatever reason, he seems to be adept at keeping the puck in the zone.

He doesn;t struggle with it at the line.

If the puck is coming from behind the net, he blocks it high, low or wherever.

If a player has it on the boards, he knocks the player off the puck.

Maybe he should be used in a 3F-2D top PP unit.

Give Tkachuk to the 2nd unit for a bit.

The reason why I suggest that is you allided to him being a Wideman type.

Wideman was a good producer when the Flames used him on the PP with another D.

Johnny would tee it up for him.

Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

IIRC, his slapper was pegged at something like 104.

He rarely lets it go full throttle, though.

He is a puck-carrying D-man, that can seem to walk in without concern.

He never tris to do too much, which shows him ability to understand what is going on around him.

What is not being exploted is his PP QB ability.

That was his role in Stockton and he just needs a bit more confidence to do it well in the NHL.

For whatever reason, he seems to be adept at keeping the puck in the zone.

He doesn;t struggle with it at the line.

If the puck is coming from behind the net, he blocks it high, low or wherever.

If a player has it on the boards, he knocks the player off the puck.

Maybe he should be used in a 3F-2D top PP unit.

Give Tkachuk to the 2nd unit for a bit.

The reason why I suggest that is you allided to him being a Wideman type.

Wideman was a good producer when the Flames used him on the PP with another D.

Johnny would tee it up for him.

Just a thought.

It's Brodie-Andersson on the 2nd unit PP right now.  

I guess in this day and age, not many D can score on a goalie from the point clean without a screen or a deflection.  Andersson just doesn't shoot unless there is traffic in front.  If he's got a 104 mph then fire away.

The comparison to Wideman is fair but obviously Andersson is his own player with his own unique attributes.  For example, he can skate WAY better than Wideman ever could.  Andersson can move the puck and he's not far off what Brodie can do in that regard.  I mean, one reason i think we can afford to trade Brodie this summer is because we have Andersson who can step into the second pairing role with Hanifin and we can move Hamonic up with Giordano.  If/when Stone comes back healthy then he's the 3rd pair RD.

Andersson is a good one and i don't think many have any reservations about challenging him to second pairing minutes next season.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The comparison to Wideman is fair but obviously Andersson is his own player with his own unique attributes.  For example, he can skate WAY better than Wideman ever could.  Andersson can move the puck and he's not far off what Brodie can do in that regard.  I mean, one reason i think we can afford to trade Brodie this summer is because we have Andersson who can step into the second pairing role with Hanifin and we can move Hamonic up with Giordano.  If/when Stone comes back healthy then he's the 3rd pair RD.

The comp to Wides was strictly the way he shoots (when he gets a shot).  Pair him with JH and the top unit, and you may have someting lethal.

Strangely enough, I have seen a lot of shifts with the "3rd" pairing with the top line where they controlled the play 5v5.  Especially in the O-zone.

17 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Watched this guy dominate playing for the Barrie Colts. Both offensively and defensively. He hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. Trust me, the points will come. He’s been a favourite in my house for a while. 

I know you've mentioned that before. How sweet for you that guys playing for your fave jr team end up on your fave pro team.

That never happens for me. I'm seriously jealous.

I'm forced to like TBay because of Stamkos and ARI for Chychrun and Galchenyuk. I hate MTL and EDM (Yakupov shoulda went to CBJ, freaking lottery joke).

Sting players never go to teams I like.

edit

My team ends up with Tkachuk. I despise the Knights. That one took me awhile. lol

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I know you've mentioned that before. How sweet for you that guys playing for your fave jr team end up on your fave pro team.

That never happens for me. I'm seriously jealous.

I'm forced to like TBay because of Stamkos and ARI for Chychrun and Galchenyuk. I hate MTL and EDM (Yakupov shoulda went to CBJ, freaking lottery joke).

Sting players never go to teams I like.

edit

My team ends up with Tkachuk. I despise the Knights. That one took me awhile. lol

And Ruzicka now plays with the Wolves?

Actually starting to kill it again.

13g in 17 games.

At least you can make fun of the Oilers drafting Bouchard from the Knights.

Offense mostly.

Doesn;t seem to have poise or speed.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And Ruzicka now plays with the Wolves?

Actually starting to kill it again.

13g in 17 games.

At least you can make fun of the Oilers drafting Bouchard from the Knights.

Offense mostly.

Doesn;t seem to have poise or speed.

Even at that. I was excited about Ruzicka, but his playoff performance last year was head in hands, literally, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?

When he had the puck and lost it, it was a collective sigh. That was some kinda bad. 6' from the point, pass it back. Breakaway the other way. "How did you not notice there is no dman there"?

Yes. It was that bad.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Even at that. I was excited about Ruzicka, but his playoff performance last year was head in hands, literally, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?

When he had the puck and lost it, it was a collective sigh. That was some kinda bad. 6' from the point, pass it back. Breakaway the other way. "How did you not notice there is no dman there"?

Yes. It was that bad.

I'm hoping he has a gooder coach that helps him find his game.

And that continues into the AHL next seasoon.

He could be a gem.

Or just another late rounder.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I'm hoping he has a gooder coach that helps him find his game.

And that continues into the AHL next seasoon.

He could be a gem.

Or just another late rounder.

I always homered JTECH would be wrong about him.

But I have to move over to his side. The size and skill for a big man was enticing. But he doesn't use his size to allow the skill.

He doesn't have the skating nor the IQ, sadly.

He'll have a career, just not in NA imho.

3 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

From the game against the Yotes, it looks like Andersson is being encouraged to shoot more! They set him up a few times and I’m happy to see that because not only can he rifle the puck, he’s pretty accurate at getting it on net. 

I find he doesn't full wind a lot.

I like that. Accuracy first. He generally gets it through first and foremost, and on net.

That'll progress.

Is he ever a smart player.

22 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Watched this guy dominate playing for the Barrie Colts. Both offensively and defensively. He hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. Trust me, the points will come. He’s been a favourite in my house for a while. 

I am interested in your thoughts on his progress. Comparing his play in Barrie vs Calgary, how has his play been adversely affected? Is he a little slower, smaller, apprehensive? Assuming he keeps improving, what do you think he will do better over time? In a burger eating contest with Kessel, does Ras stand a chance?

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am interested in your thoughts on his progress. Comparing his play in Barrie vs Calgary, how has his play been adversely affected? Is he a little slower, smaller, apprehensive? Assuming he keeps improving, what do you think he will do better over time? In a burger eating contest with Kessel, does Ras stand a chance?

To me, at the NHL level he’s playing more conservative... kind of like he’s trying not to make any mistakes. And it doesn’t look like he’s making many for my eye test. He was noticeably ahead of his peers in Junior - an extra gear faster, smarter, and oozing confidence. I don’t see that at the NHL level yet - with the exception of his smarts. I think these qualities will all emerge once he feels completely part of the team (I’m guessing he links his stay with the flames to the unavailability of Stone). Over time I think we can expect him to jump into the play more, rush the puck himself, QB and control the backend, and put up more points. I’m no scout but I see top pairing potential in him. One step at a time though. 

Hahaha doesn’t Kessel like hot dogs??!? I think Andersson has committed to a better diet now, so Kessel wins hands down! ;) 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I find he doesn't full wind a lot.

I like that. Accuracy first. He generally gets it through first and foremost, and on net.

That'll progress.

Is he ever a smart player.

He seems to have really good vision on when to pinch, when to hold the line, and when to fall back. Hanifin could learn a thing or two.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

He seems to have really good vision on when to pinch, when to hold the line, and when to fall back. Hanifin could learn a thing or two.

I'd love to watch shift by shift, but Gio pulled into fwd a lot tonight.

How good is Andersson is getting scary.

In a good way. lol

Did Gio just score like a forward?

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎17 at 9:33 PM, The_People1 said:

It's Brodie-Andersson on the 2nd unit PP right now.  

I guess in this day and age, not many D can score on a goalie from the point clean without a screen or a deflection.  Andersson just doesn't shoot unless there is traffic in front.  If he's got a 104 mph then fire away.

Andersson is a good one and i don't think many have any reservations about challenging him to second pairing minutes next season.

Or top pairing minutes.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd love to watch shift by shift, but Gio pulled into fwd a lot tonight.

How good is Andersson is getting scary.

In a good way. lol

Did Gio just score like a forward?

I don't really like our depth with Brodie out of the lineup.

Prout is solid, but not very fast.

Ras playing up in the lineup does not worry me.

Perhaps, Valimaki (or Kylington) can play RD on the 3rd pair?

Right now, Stone is only a replacement for Prout.  

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't really like our depth with Brodie out of the lineup.

Prout is solid, but not very fast.

Ras playing up in the lineup does not worry me.

Perhaps, Valimaki (or Kylington) can play RD on the 3rd pair?

Right now, Stone is only a replacement for Prout.  

Prout is just fine as a 3rd pairing defenseman, positions himself well and is smart. IMO.

Archived