Tom Wilson

xstrike

Well... I was really only going to say one thing as a sorta joke, but given this guy is already infamous, maybe he deserves his own thread.

Aside from the threat of sanctions/penalties against the team by the NHL, you wonder if someone would eventually sign a pro-fighter (MMA etc), teach him to skate, then put him on the ice against Wilson to beat the living tar out of him. I would not support this action, but I'm sure some fans might find it... satisfying.

All joking aside, Wilson really better watch himself or the league might just have to suspend him for 21+ games (without pay I assume) to get their point across. I don't mind clean hits, but so many of his are very questionable at best.

I've prepared the kindling, have fun fighting the inferno.

Tom Wilson epitomizes exactly what is a major problem in the game of hockey today. He's a no talent hack given a job and a big contract because he could give a crap about the safety of his fellow players and he's willing to again and again.

angers me to see people like that get allowed to play. 

No elbow.  No high stick.  No knee.  Skates on the ice.  Just a shoulder to shoulder hit attempt that missed.  

Head down cutting across the train tracks at full speed.  Sundqvist asked for it.  I even buy the excuse Wilson aimed for the shoulder the whole way.  The game is too fast.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

No elbow.  No high stick.  No knee.  Skates on the ice.  Just a shoulder to shoulder hit attempt that missed.  

Head down cutting across the train tracks at full speed.  Sundqvist asked for it.  I even buy the excuse Wilson aimed for the shoulder the whole way.  The game is too fast.

I get this is a difference of opinion and I'll never "win" but imo this is the exact line of thinking that need to get out of the game. Player safety should take more of a precident then sending a message and that's all that hit would have done. There was nothing to be gained in terms of a hockey play from Wilson following through on his hit. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I get this is a difference of opinion and I'll never "win" but imo this is the exact line of thinking that need to get out of the game. Player safety should take more of a precident then sending a message and that's all that hit would have done. There was nothing to be gained in terms of a hockey play from Wilson following through on his hit. 

To be more clear, Wilson connected to the head so this hit is a clear suspension.  IMO, 3 games.

But curious based on what you are saying, would you be okay if Wilson landed shoulder to shoulder and Sundqvist was okay after?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

To be more clear, Wilson connected to the head so this hit is a clear suspension.  IMO, 3 games.

But curious based on what you are saying, would you be okay if Wilson landed shoulder to shoulder and Sundqvist was okay after?

No. I would still dislike his intention. 

But i I will admit I'm biased. I think Wilson is a stain on the league. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Matt Cooke Tom Wilson never learns.

I think that he's just been taught a harsh lesson. By harsh, I mean a lesson that he needed to learn.

Reminds me of Phaneuf on Okposo years ago.

Devastating hits on young guys by pros in preseason shows nothing but a complete lack of character imho.

Just now, conundrumed said:

I think that he's just been taught a harsh lesson. By harsh, I mean a lesson that he needed to learn.

Devastating hits on young guys by pros in preseason shows nothing but a complete lack of character imho.

Agreed, that makes it dirtier. 

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That was more on Langkow pushing Okposo from behind into Phaneuf!

I also remember Denis Gauthier nearing ending Roenick's career in preseason and JR was crying about a lack of respect and somehow preseason is less than the regular season.  No.  Every time you put on the jersey and play, you play 110%. It's the same in preseason as the regular season as the playoffs.  I never subscribe to this idea that it's "only" preseason.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:19 PM, cross16 said:

No. I would still dislike his intention. 

But i I will admit I'm biased. I think Wilson is a stain on the league. 

Ya if you do not like shoulder to shoulder hits then we will never agree on this.  

The way I see it, if Wilson really wanted to hurt Sundqvist, then he could've threw an elbow or left his feet.  So the intention wasn't to injure.  It was to finish a check.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya if you do not like shoulder to shoulder hits then we will never agree on this.  

The way I see it, if Wilson really wanted to hurt Sundqvist, then he could've threw an elbow or left his feet.  So the intention wasn't to injure.  It was to finish a check.

Depending on the hit I can live with shoulder to shoulder. The problem I have with Wilson is he comes from a area that sundqvisg could not see him. It was really the definition of a blind side hit and I don't like those. Irregardless of what a player say imo if you are going to hit someone's on their blindside your intention is to injury because there is no hockey intention. 

Can hit shoulder to shoulder along the boards and it's clean and I've seen shoulder to shoulder hits in open ice I don't mind. The blindside element of Wilson hit is what makes me mad. there was nothin to be gained and imo a huge risk to sundqvist health. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depending on the hit I can live with shoulder to shoulder. The problem I have with Wilson is he comes from a area that sundqvisg could not see him. It was really the definition of a blind side hit and I don't like those. Irregardless of what a player say imo if you are going to hit someone's on their blindside your intention is to injury because there is no hockey intention. 

Can hit shoulder to shoulder along the boards and it's clean and I've seen shoulder to shoulder hits in open ice I don't mind. The blindside element of Wilson hit is what makes me mad. there was nothin to be gained and imo a huge risk to sundqvist health. 

Not quite a complete blindside because this was a classic case of drop pass and then looking back to admire his pass.  Wilson came from straight on the same direction Sundqvist was skating.  

I don't like blindsided either and I applaud the NHL for putting a stop to it.  I felt Wilson on Marchessault was worse of an intent than this hit.  This was Wilson finishing a check out of convenience like Sundqvist served it on a silver platter for him.  The Marchessault hit, Wilson came charging in from the other side of the ice.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think that the NHL is trying to reduce the force of hits because they indicate the intent to harm. If the objective of checking is to retrieve the puck, then there is no other reason to hit with such force apart from the desire to cause injury. Otherwise, why not just allow players to skate across the ice at full speed to hit another player? 

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that the NHL is trying to reduce the force of hits because they indicate the intent to harm. If the objective of checking is to retrieve the puck, then there is no other reason to hit with such force apart from the desire to cause injury. Otherwise, why not just allow players to skate across the ice at full speed to hit another player? 

But yet the league allows players to drop the gloves and punch each other in the head as hard as they can.

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not quite a complete blindside because this was a classic case of drop pass and then looking back to admire his pass.  Wilson came from straight on the same direction Sundqvist was skating.  

I don't like blindsided either and I applaud the NHL for putting a stop to it.  I felt Wilson on Marchessault was worse of an intent than this hit.  This was Wilson finishing a check out of convenience like Sundqvist served it on a silver platter for him.  The Marchessault hit, Wilson came charging in from the other side of the ice.

Sundqvist wasn't passing he was shooting at the net. He cut to the middle to open the shooting lane and barely has the puck off his stick before Wilson cranks him. It was not a case of admiring anything and Wilson was a good 4-5 strides behind him in the neutral zone as they come up the ice. It was a pretty textbook blindside hit

On 10/6/2018 at 7:11 AM, cross16 said:

Sundqvist wasn't passing he was shooting at the net. He cut to the middle to open the shooting lane and barely has the puck off his stick before Wilson cranks him. It was not a case of admiring anything and Wilson was a good 4-5 strides behind him in the neutral zone as they come up the ice. It was a pretty textbook blindside hit

He was admiring his shot then.  Same difference.

I'm the opposite thinking here.  I loved the intent.  I hate the execution.  He should be suspended but we need more players with his intentions.  To hit hard but hit clean.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He was admiring his shot then.  Same difference.

I'm the opposite thinking here.  I loved the intent.  I hate the execution.  He should be suspended but we need more players with his intentions.  To hit hard but hit clean.

Except at the point of impact the puck was off his stick for less than a second. This was not a case of admiring anything. The puck hadn't even reached the net yet.

Tom Wilson does not play the game clean. I can get behind players who hit had and hit clean but that isn't Wilson. he continues to cross the line with hits that puck his other players at risk for no benefit. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Except at the point of impact the puck was off his stick for less than a second. This was not a case of admiring anything. The puck hadn't even reached the net yet.

Tom Wilson does not play the game clean. I can get behind players who hit had and hit clean but that isn't Wilson. he continues to cross the line with hits that puck his other players at risk for no benefit. 

I felt Gudbranson on Dube was worse because the puck hasn't even arrived on Dube's stick yet and the head shot came from the blindside.

In comparison, Sundqvist released his shot and Wilson came in to finish his check.  Point of contact was illegal but Sundqvist did have the puck at least and could've faked a shot for all Wilson knew.  Game is so fast.

Hitting a guy before the puck arrives is way worse than after the guy just released a shot.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I felt Gudbranson on Dube was worse because the puck hasn't even arrived on Dube's stick yet and the head shot came from the blindside.

In comparison, Sundqvist released his shot and Wilson came in to finish his check.  Point of contact was illegal but Sundqvist did have the puck at least and could've faked a shot for all Wilson knew.  Game is so fast.

Hitting a guy before the puck arrives is way worse than after the guy just released a shot.

They should give the player a chance to control the puck before they get hit. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Now what to do with Tom Wilson?

Nothing. That hit wasn't a hit to the head (even Seney, the guy he hit, said that). Was the hit late? A little. Was it interference? For sure. But it wasn't a hit to the head. 5 and a game was the call, and that's all it will be. That was one of those hits where if anyone else made that hit, it likely would have been a 2 minute penalty, and there would be almost no discussion about it (hell, I've seen Gio make hits like that and not even get a penalty). The main factor was that Seney is also Gaudreau sized (5'9 159 pounds), which definitely made the hit look worse. Seney not only played the rest of the game, but played a little more than he usually does.

This was as much a reputation call (giving him 5+game) than anything. Wilson HAS to know eyes are on him constantly.

Archived