Noah Hanifin

Going4TheCup

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎02 at 6:03 AM, conundrumed said:

No.

I feel that way because I think he's going to be overpaid by 1.5 to 2mil for at least this year. For a guy that constantly rags on Brodie I hope you're aware that Hanifin's contract is all about potential.

I haven't seen anyone whining and complaining about the contract. But if that's what you call every opinion that varies from your own, I guess alternative opinion is the new whining and complaining.

As for Tkachuk, he has proven to be a difference maker already.

As for Valimaki, we don't even know anything yet.

I see a lot of worry warts on these forums that tend to think its their own money that is being spent on these players. All player contracts are paying for potential performance but it isn't like they don't have any idea about the talent. Tkachuk ? maybe but we will now see how it goes as way more attention by the opposition gets applied to him. I believe he will pass the tests but we will see, I am not worried about him earning his keep. Brodie, you are right, I would have traded him this offseason, if he doesn't regain his focus playing with Giordano I will be wanting to trade him next offseason.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, MAC331 said:

I see a lot of worry warts on these forums that tend to think its their own money that is being spent on these players. All player contracts are paying for potential performance but it isn't like they don't have any idea about the talent. Tkachuk ? maybe but we will now see how it goes as way more attention by the opposition gets applied to him. I believe he will pass the tests but we will see, I am not worried about him earning his keep. Brodie, you are right, I would have traded him this offseason, if he doesn't regain his focus playing with Giordano I will be wanting to trade him next offseason.

Isn't it, though?

• 1 month later...

I have liked what I have seen so far from Hanifin. His skating is elite, his defense is better than it was advertised. The fact that he has had to anchor the 2nd pairing with either Stone or Andersson since the start of the season and has done a solid job doing speaks volumes for the 21 year old. Add to the fact that he has been absolutely burried with 38.1% 5on5 zone start percentage. I see a ton of potential with Hanifin, I am not sure that he will be a top offensive defenseman, but he has all the tools to be an elite all around defenseman.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I have liked what I have seen so far from Hanifin. His skating is elite, his defense is better than it was advertised. The fact that he has had to anchor the 2nd pairing with either Stone or Andersson since the start of the season and has done a solid job doing speaks volumes for the 21 year old. Add to the fact that he has been absolutely burried with 38.1% 5on5 zone start percentage. I see a ton of potential with Hanifin, I am not sure that he will be a top offensive defenseman, but he has all the tools to be an elite all around defenseman.

He is far better than Brodie, would have no issue placing him on a top pairing.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yup I like what I see.  Though he still looks a bit raw, he is a great skater.  Faster than Hamilton (and he will probably forever be compared to him), just haven't seen a great shot from him.  He looks better than Hamilton when Hamilton first arrived here.

One of his critiques coming in was that he wasn't all that sound defensively, yet this year with Hamonic out he's been one of our main defensive shut-down guys and he's done a great job there.  He's a little snake-bitten offensively right now, but he shows a lot of skill, soft hands, a hard shot, poise and confidence with and without the puck...all while playing with a defensive partner that isn't as good as Hamonic will be when he gets back.  Once Hamonic gets back I expect him to be even better, particularly offensively.  Right now he's gotta be the shut down stay-at-home defense men on his line with Andersson, but once Hamonic gets back he'll be able to cheat offensively a bit more.

9 minutes ago, YounGuns said:

One of his critiques coming in was that he wasn't all that sound defensively, yet this year with Hamonic out he's been one of our main defensive shut-down guys and he's done a great job there.  He's a little snake-bitten offensively right now, but he shows a lot of skill, soft hands, a hard shot, poise and confidence with and without the puck...all while playing with a defensive partner that isn't as good as Hamonic will be when he gets back.  Once Hamonic gets back I expect him to be even better, particularly offensively.  Right now he's gotta be the shut down stay-at-home defense men on his line with Andersson, but once Hamonic gets back he'll be able to cheat offensively a bit more.

Not so sure about that.  As bad as Stone has been, Hamonic may be even worse.

Stone's problem is that he's too slow.

Hamonic's problem is he cannot anticipate.  Cannot read the other team's intentions.  They say good players go to where the puck is.  Great players go to where the puck will go.  Hamonic clearly just reacts to what's in front of him.  Can't see one second into the future even when it's an easy ready.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not so sure about that.  As bad as Stone has been, Hamonic may be even worse.

Stone's problem is that he's too slow.

Hamonic's problem is he cannot anticipate.  Cannot read the other team's intentions.  They say good players go to where the puck is.  Great players go to where the puck will go.  Hamonic clearly just reacts to what's in front of him.  Can't see one second into the future even when it's an easy ready.

Interesting observation, and I respectfully disagree.  I think Hamonic is very sound defensively.  He may not have the offensive instincts in terms of what you're saying, but defensively he's sound and seems to know "where the play is going".  I'm not quite so sure what you're seeing that I'm not, or vice versa, but I don't view Hamonic as being purely reactionary at all.  I think he's got high hockey IQ and above average vision - I would say significantly better than Stone - it's just with him it's high defensive IQ and defensive vision.  He's not an offensive threat by any means, but I don't see the bleak picture of him that you seem to painting.

I think it's more of a question whether to put Hamonic back with Hanifin... Right now the Hanifin/Andersson pairing has developed great chemistry and has looked great together.  I much rather them just pair Hamonic with Valimaki and get rid of Stone....

10 hours ago, Kiweh said:

I think it's more of a question whether to put Hamonic back with Hanifin... Right now the Hanifin/Andersson pairing has developed great chemistry and has looked great together.  I much rather them just pair Hamonic with Valimaki and get rid of Stone....

I hope BP doesn't put Hamonic back with Hanifin because with Andersson they are doing very well.

We need RHS defense depth presently because the organization is shallow in this area. Keeping all of Hamonic, Stone and Prout would be smart for now. I would rotate Hamonic and Stone with Valimaki. I wouldn't even mind seeing Hamonic play with Giordano a time or two and sit Brodie.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I hope BP doesn't put Hamonic back with Hanifin because with Andersson they are doing very well.

We need RHS defense depth presently because the organization is shallow in this area. Keeping all of Hamonic, Stone and Prout would be smart for now. I would rotate Hamonic and Stone with Valimaki. I wouldn't even mind seeing Hamonic play with Giordano a time or two and sit Brodie.

I would definitely sit Brodie before I sit Hamonic. Stone should be the one to sit out with majority of the games when Hamonic is back. I also agree that we put Hamonic with Valimaki, this way we would have three relatively balanced defensive pairs with divided relatively equal time. Hanifin will eventually replaced Gio on the top line and he will paired with whomever the best we have on the right side.

8 hours ago, DHT said:

I would definitely sit Brodie before I sit Hamonic. Stone should be the one to sit out with majority of the games when Hamonic is back. I also agree that we put Hamonic with Valimaki, this way we would have three relatively balanced defensive pairs with divided relatively equal time. Hanifin will eventually replaced Gio on the top line and he will paired with whomever the best we have on the right side.

What Hamonic have you been watching?

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What Hamonic have you been watching?

The Hamonic that got his jaw broken because he stuck up for his team mate. This I will take over anyone anytime. He has always been a team player and we need more of that on this team.

His poor plays last season can be argued that he played with Brodie. He only has one game this season so far before he got his jaw broken.

2 hours ago, DHT said:

The Hamonic that got his jaw broken because he stuck up for his team mate. This I will take over anyone anytime. He has always been a team player and we need more of that on this team.

His poor plays last season can be argued that he played with Brodie. He only has one game this season so far before he got his jaw broken.

Ah I see.  Because if you were going to say he's actually good at hockey... Sad but Stone has been better.  

But I do appreciate his fighting for teammates.  That earns lots of brownie points.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ah I see.  Because if you were going to say he's actually good at hockey... Sad but Stone has been better.  

But I do appreciate his fighting for teammates.  That earns lots of brownie points.

So you are basing your comments on half a game, and then playing with a broken jaw.

The pairing was not bad that first game.  We lost because of average goaltending and a rookie scoring sensation.

Last year is last year.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

All preseason too.

And his last two seasons on the island....

im still giving him more time, but so far Hanifin has yet to really impress me and I think he's been just ok. He is What I expected, he's a great skater but really raw especially with his hockey sense. 

But I'm going to give him time as it could be just him adjusting. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

im still giving him more time, but so far Hanifin has yet to really impress me and I think he's been just ok. He is What I expected, he's a great skater but really raw especially with his hockey sense. 

You can't be serious Hanifin has been as steady as they come on defense. What are you looking for him to do ?

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

You can't be serious Hanifin has been as steady as they come on defense. What are you looking for him to do ?

Hanifin has given up the most scoring chances against on the D core and the 2nd highest high danger chances against per 60 mins and only Stone is worse in that category.

Again, before you want to jump down my throat I will stress again that I don't expect a young dman to step right into a new team and new situation and excel so this is not mean to put him down. Just saying I will want to see more than i've seen so far at some point. 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Just to clarify here.  Peeps and I were talking about Hamonic.  I like what I have seen from Hanifib, so I will llet him be away from another rookie before I pass any further judgement.  I like his game.  I think he's a bit of a rover, but fast enough to get back,  That assumes the D know what to do when he pinches,

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just to clarify here.  Peeps and I were talking about Hamonic.  

I know which is why I mentioned the "island". Hamonic has trended down for a few season so criticism on him is not limited to small sample sizes even though it seems to be for some people. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know which is why I mentioned the "island". Hamonic has trended down for a few season so criticism on him is not limited to small sample sizes even though it seems to be for some people. 

I think the last season in NY was tough for him.  I discount that season and will see how he does this year.  Much like playing with Brodie, partners don't always work out.

Archived