Noah Hanifin

Going4TheCup

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Playing the long game here, but I’d rather see Hanifin sign for 6 than 5.

In 5 years time you’ve got Monahan up, if Hanifin is 5 as well then that summer you may be picking one or the other to keep and I do realize the 5.75 from Neal is off the books as well.

We are going to need Hanifin so I would hope BT comes up with a statement for a 7 year deal. Quit parking in the middle of the road.

18 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Very true. I am afraid the Flames are going to have to go through another rebuild when Monahan's contract is up :(

Rebuild?

Monahan will be 28, JH (assuming he's signed) around 29, Tkachuk 25, Lindholm 28, Janko 28, Hanifin 26, Ras 26, Valimaki, 24....

That's a pretty young group in their prime or just entering it.

If you are keeping Backlund, Neal, Gio, Brodie, Hamonic, etc. until best-before date is reached, then you aren't planning any transition.

What you need to remember is the Flames went through a rebuild because they refused to address the age of the team and had no prospects to show for it.  We gave up our best player, one of the league's best D-men and our best goalie for peanuts.  Klimchuk is the only remains to the rebuild.  Had we not drafted JH and Monahan, we would be a lotto team.

The bigger concern about the length of contracts is timing them so you don;t have two stars negotiating in the same year.  As well, you don;t want to be paying for a new contract for a star with a declining player still getting serious coin still on the roster.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Rebuild?

Monahan will be 28, JH (assuming he's signed) around 29, Tkachuk 25, Lindholm 28, Janko 28, Hanifin 26, Ras 26, Valimaki, 24....

That's a pretty young group in their prime or just entering it.

If you are keeping Backlund, Neal, Gio, Brodie, Hamonic, etc. until best-before date is reached, then you aren't planning any transition.

What you need to remember is the Flames went through a rebuild because they refused to address the age of the team and had no prospects to show for it.  We gave up our best player, one of the league's best D-men and our best goalie for peanuts.  Klimchuk is the only remains to the rebuild.  Had we not drafted JH and Monahan, we would be a lotto team.

The bigger concern about the length of contracts is timing them so you don;t have two stars negotiating in the same year.  As well, you don;t want to be paying for a new contract for a star with a declining player still getting serious coin still on the roster.

I'm just really afraid that players like Monahan and Gaudreau won't re-sign with the Flames when their current contracts expire. Do you think they will re-sign with the Flames?

47 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm just really afraid that players like Monahan and Gaudreau won't re-sign with the Flames when their current contracts expire. Do you think they will re-sign with the Flames?

I think you're putting the cart WAY before the horse on this one. There are a few seasons before we have to worry too much about that, and if they continue to trend upwards, and they're not going to resign here, they'll be traded for massive returns. If the seasons in between are exceptional, and they establish roots in Calgary, I don't think you'll have to worry too much about that. 

Love. 

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

It's not like they will be guys in their mid-30's.  They will be up for their 3rd NHL contract at a relatively young age.  If they are still top stars and they want to play here, they will sign extensions before going UFA.  Both signed shorter term deals so that can get paid then.  The bigger concern between now and then is icing a competitive team and replacing older players with prospects/trades/UFA's.  We have a good pipeline of D-men.  We have some good forward prospects.  Let's see how they are working out before we worry about a rebuild.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, The_Snowbear said:

There Saying in that Link a 5 year For about over 5mill

I'd actually be fine with 5 years.

If we're only buying 1 FA year, I'm guessing he'll come in at a bit less than 5.

I can understand the 7 yr crowd, but the problem I'm having is that he hasn't even put our jersey on yet.

I'd be fine with saving a few bucks at 5yrs rn.

5 years is fine. Not ideal but livable especially given it will keep the Cap number lower.

At the end of the day the business cycle for the Flames is 4 years. That's how long you have Gaudreau for at a bargain of a contract so while I prefer the idea of a 6-7 year deal over the long haul, a 5 year deal to limit the cap number and give you more flexibility during those 4 years makes a lot of sense

Edit: reading the article Hanifin is quoted as wanting "at least" 5 years. Pretty important distinction. 

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Too quiet on the home front these days.

Two weeks to get him signed.  Is anyone else worried?

I wonder if the Flames actually spoke to Hanifin before they traded for him, or if they assumed he would be happy to play here?

One can only hope that they get the deal done ASAP.  The Flames can't allow this to extend into camp/pre-season.  

1 hour ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I wonder if the Flames actually spoke to Hanifin before they traded for him, or if they assumed he would be happy to play here?

One can only hope that they get the deal done ASAP.  The Flames can't allow this to extend into camp/pre-season.  

Concerned if it drags on up to the China trip.

He wants to sign.  They want to sign him.  Pretty simple.

I'm less concerned about him than I was Gaudreau.  New coach.  No camp.

15 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

To be honest I am not worried about Hanifin getting done. I was more hoping we would see Stone traded.

It's not very common for a player to come out and publicly declare that they are close on a contract and will get it done. The only negotiation tool Hanifin has is to withhold services so for him to be that forward that it's close should leave no worries. 

If it wasn't going to get done you'd likely hear radio silence right now. Hanifin having the confidence to go public with that tells me they are probably already done the deal and just have an I to dot or T to cross, or it's done and they want to withhold it and announce it once everyone is here as they still have not really "debuted" all their new acquisition like you normally do. 

Zero cause for concern IMO. With Gaudreau at this time it was very silent and then you had leaks that his camp was looking for a home run. That isn't happening here. 

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:
aa0cbb744934f73cb955ea7ad4ed2387_bigger.Darren DregerVerified account @DarrenDreger
FollowFollow @DarrenDreger
More

Flames and Noah Hanifin are putting the final touches on a contract extension.

I hope that is true, Seems like our hopes are getting up and no deal is going to get done for some reason but yeah just seems like that. Hopefully I am wrong! 

25 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I hope that is true, Seems like our hopes are getting up and no deal is going to get done for some reason but yeah just seems like that. Hopefully I am wrong! 

Of course you are. This is BT's common playbook.

It's an annoying playbook, don't get me wrong.

Someone is going to burn him on this one day. JG certainly could have.

Will Tkachuk?

Defiance will meet defiance one day, he'll go to this well one too many times. At this point, it is his playbook, and everyone must have a read on it by now.

He sweats guys for a better deal, it will turn around on him, negotiating that way.

If Bennett turns it up a lot this year, he's already been sweated.

That's why I don't like this tactic to save a few hundred k. This will turn around out of spite.

JG will be the perfect example. BT sweated him into that contract.

Next time around, can't see him not getting exactly what he wants, when he wants it.

Example, Jamie Benn. He called the shots after getting screwed.

When you screw guys when they don't have leverage, they're gonna put the screws to you when they do.

Other side of the spectrum, Stamkos. He could have gotten more elsewhere, but Tampa never put the screws to him.

Good faith goes a long way.

Archived